The "Whatever" Thread

Where I think the Rule 9 would be less good as a camp knife is for food prep since it has less belly. But, the handle is really good for it and the straighter blade does woodprocessing and woodcrafting things very nicely. I have a scandi Rule 9 that feels a lot like a woodlore styled bushcraft knife. I was going to share a pic of that as well but I don't think it's going to be better than the Kephart for what the gentleman wants.

I'm wondering what John's Canadian Belt knife's handle on a small Bowie blade would be? Like a slightly taller/beefier crooked creek?

I started making drawings, but I need to talk to him about it still.

I'm wondering what John's Canadian Belt knife's handle on a small Bowie blade would be? Like a slightly taller/beefier crooked creek?

I started making drawings, but I need to talk to him about it still.

That would be pretty rad. I like the added clip as it's a bit more pokey. A sweeping clip would be even pokier and nice looking. Like a buck style clip which I think is what you're describing. I'll be watching to see what you come up with.

xl5Xov0.jpg

1jdLHwr.jpg

Crag the Brewer Crag the Brewer

greatscoot greatscoot Could you measure the length and height of the blade?

and overall length?

I'm dreaming of a Canadian Belt knife with that blade shape.... just a tiny bit Bigger (I think)

Should be about 9” overall, 4 1/2” blade, and 1 1/4” tall blade.

Those are good blade proportions.... I'm thinking .125" Thick. 1.750" tall . Around 7" long. Same/similar blade shape as the Rule.
I don't think we need the jimping on this one. I'd like it to look clean and simple. Elegant, but useful. :)

I rather much like Crag The Brewers sketch. The thin waisted intro into the handle is appealing. For strength I would consider 3/16" back at entire tang but give it an extreme distal taper towards the tip as well as large drilled koles under the scales to allow a slight tip heavy balance. Just me, so pay no attention.:rolleyes: I do like the design. I also would consider full grind.

I rather much like Crag The Brewers sketch. The thin waisted intro into the handle is appealing. For strength I would consider 3/16" back at entire tang but give it an extreme distal taper towards the tip as well as large drilled koles under the scales to allow a slight tip heavy balance. Just me, so pay no attention.:rolleyes: I do like the design. I also would consider full grind.

I appreciate Your critiques. Very much. Keep them coming! :D
I was originally thinking of using 5/32" material, but figured it wasn't in John's inventory? So I used what I know he will have.
.1875" Thick with a full frontal distal taper would look GORGOUS.... but you probably Doubled the cost of the knife? haha might as well forgo the weight reduction holes in the tang, and have another distal taper in the rear too...... stronger than holes, and perhaps less expensive since we are (hypothetically) grinding the front..... :O

*I haven't emailed John about the details/price yet. I will need to book soon? so it can be made before the end of the year....
Maybe if we can get a few buyers, the price will come down? :) :) :)

Definitely full Flat grind on the blade. I totally agree with ya.
I forgot to scribble that on my sketch, although it does show that (or I forgot the bevels haha)

I'd really love to see/hear More about John's Canadian Belt handle? Comparisons to his Kentucky Woodsman handle?

Back