The "Whatever" Thread

It took a week of owning a bugout (first Benchmade) to realise that the quickest way to open it was by pushing the thumb stud straight upwards. For some reason I started by using some rolling action, with my thumb following an imaginary curve rather than just pushing straight up.

With nearly half a century of using fixed blades and old fashioned folders in an outdoor lifestyle, I thought I knew it all. Quite refreshing to realise I didn’t.

Been on an asphalt cruise in the SS Juke for over a week. A few more days and we will be home. St Augustine, Key West, Clearwater, Savannah and now Charleston. August is a great time to visit the steamy South!! If you are not wet from sweating, it is raining on you. Got to drive through the 'Glades- wish I would have had time to take a fan boat tour. I would never go back to the Keyes unless it was for fishing. Old part of Savannah is worth a few days if you get the chance. Charleston does not impress me much. We did Idiot World in Orlando just to check a box on my wife's childhood bucket list. A girl that grew up dirt poor in the Philippines finally got her Mickey Ears and pics in Disneyworld. I hope all are safe and making memories with loved ones, at home of on the road.

Bill

V Vaytsee my wife bought me a Bugout for Christmas last year. I've owned (and traded/sold) several Benchmade folders over the years but this one has become my favorite.

Last edited:
August is a great time to visit the steamy South!! If you are not wet from sweating, it is raining on you.
It's been bad enough here....... I can't imagine being further south. Happy for your wife getting to visit Mickey, I've been dodging that bullet for sometime but know I'll eventually have to go.

Seems Fred has caught up to us at last, we were one step ahead until last night. We are cutting trip short and will spend 6 hours driving through the storms today to get home again.
Lots of folks seem sad to head home at the end of a vacation, I always look forward to it. Back in my nest, to my garden and basement.
Time to start the mad sprint to finish all outdoor projects before season turns.

:) It had been 40 years since I was in Walt's fantasy garden. Pirates of the Caribbean is still there as is Tom Sawyer's Island.

Bill

F fishiker My Bugout story also involved my wife. I ordered both the mini and normal size, not being sure which to keep. The mini was too small for me, but my wife decided she had use for it. I made a mistake by telling her the price and now I’m concerned she won’t want to use it too much 😀
But they are cracking little knives. Handle all the little tasks with ease, and practically unnoticeable in the pocket.
I’ve never carried a pocket clipped knife before and it shows: I was pushing myself up off the sofa, and managed to open up my thumb knuckle on the pocket clip. Please laugh “with me” and not “at me” 😂

I'm super happy to announce my oldest son and his wife are proud parents of a beautiful healthy baby Girl. Eliana Margaret was delivered a couple hours ago and is doing well. Still difficult for me to wrap my mind around the idea of having a granddaughter.
Celebrate with a custom jk in honor of the grandchild

Back