The "Whatever" Thread

Simplejack

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Interestingly, I called John last week to catch up and after the chat, I pulled out my duffel bag full of JK knives.
Lots of great knives in there and stories to go with them.

I tried to call @jds1 , but perhaps he remembers me too well from the old gatherings up in Michigan.....oh well, nobody kills a gallon of 80 proof liquor and doesn't do some kind of fire dance, right JK Knives JK Knives ?

I would be very willing to drive up or over or whatever for a gathering - we could call it the greybeard association or something.

I promise I won't try to set the county record for alcohol consumption... :]

best

mqqn
Who wouldn't want to smash some corn liquor and do a fire dance. My kinda party.

I wonder when or if the workforce in our country will return to any semblance of normal. I live in a small town and every restaurant and fast food place has been affected by the shortage of people who want to work. On our vacation in July we did not get to eat at several of our favorite restaurants because they were either operating reduced hours or lacked the employees to serve anyone in a timely manner.
We drove an hour Saturday to do a little shopping and go out to eat. The restaurant was nearly deserted and the hostess told us it would be a 45 minute wait. I guess she could read the look on my face and she apologized. She said they had 1 chef and 2 servers.
We stopped by a pet store to get Thomas a couple fish. There was a sign on the door saying the aquatics dept was closed due to lack of employees. We walked in and I asked the lady at the register if someone could get us a couple of fish. When she said no I asked to speak with the manager. She told me I was that she was sorry but there was only one other person working in the store. That was the groomer.
On the way home I stopped to get a couple propane tanks filled. I went in and told the cashier I needed to get propane. She said not today because she was the only one working.
I don't understand. I've been working since I was 18 and the only times I wasn't working I was either going to school or actively looking for work. The super market near my son's home has had a help wanted sign out front since spring. They are offering a signing bonus and $15/hour for part time help.

Last edited:

Crag the Brewer

Gold Member
I wonder when or if the workforce in our country will return to any semblance of normal. I live in a small town and every restaurant and fast food place has been affected by the shortage of people who want to work. On our vacation in July we did not get to eat at several of our favorite restaurants because they were either operating reduced hours or lacked the employees to serve anyone in a timely manner.
We drove an hour Saturday to do a little shopping and go out to eat. The restaurant was nearly deserted and the hostess told us it would be a 45 minute wait. I guess she could read the look on my face and she apologized. She said they had 1 chef and 2 servers.
We stopped by a pet store to get Thomas a couple fish. There was a sign on the door saying the aquatics dept was closed due to lack of employees. We walked in and I asked the lady at the register if someone could get us a couple of fish. When she said no I asked to speak with the manager. She told me I was that she was sorry but there was only one other person working in the store. That was the groomer.
On the way home I stopped to get a couple propane tanks filled. I went in and told the cashier I needed to get propane. She said not today because she was the only one working.
I don't understand. I've been working since I was 18 and the only times I wasn't working I was either going to school or actively looking for work. The super market near my son's home has had a help wanted sign out front since spring. They are offering a signing bonus and $15/hour for part time help.
I agree.... These are weird times.

I'm seeing the Same struggles here.
Where I work, it's so difficult to find warm bodies, they keep raising their starting pay......... Management looked at me funny when I grumbled, as I explained that as I see it...... its as if I Just took a six thousand dollar a year pay cut. Since my pay stays the same.

I wonder if That's the plan??? Soon we will be BEGGING for refugees and illegals.
To fill the jobs nobody wants.
Boomers are retiring, taking the higher standard of living with them.
What is going to happen? What's going to be left?
Here comes Automation....... Beep Beep. 011100101011101001