The "Whatever" Thread

If you like unpredictable weather you may want to consider SW Virginia. A week before Christmas and it's almost 60° outside. I've deer hunted in single digit temperatures with minus zero wind chill in November. I remember swimming in the local river in April as a boy. I've also camped in April and wake up to a heavy frost or snow.

Last edited:
Supposed to be 48 here today, 56 tomorrow, then start dropping. Snow and ice friday night to sunset Saturday, temps falling until we hit close to 0 around sunrise Sunday.
My plan is to spend Saturday in the basement watching DVDs with swmbo and the dogs. Sunday I'll shovel out.

We had our first day above freezing (34 deg!) and the first chance for the day-after-Christmas snow to start to melt. It has made for unusual and fun weather for the holidays, especially with planned days off! I am happy to send the snow elsewhere though, too much trouble when I actually HAVE to be somewhere.

We got a major storm in VA, we got about 10 inches, lots of broken trees and power lines, snowed in for two days, there were lots of people stranded on I-95 too. Finally got to where we can get out to main road, but neighborhoods still slick and re-freezes during the night. We knew it was coming but still caught people by surprise with how quick and how wet it was. Even with the road treatment things were bad on the roads.

Last edited:
We got a major storm in VA, we got about 10 inches, lots of broken trees and power lines, snowed in for two days, there were lots of people stranded on I-95 too. Finally got to where we can get out to main road, but neighborhoods still slick and re-freezes during the night. We knew it was coming but still caught people by surprise with how quick and how wet it was. Even with the road treatment things were bad on the roads.
I heard about that.... Horrible.
Thoughts and Prayers, obviously.

How often does something like that happen?

Well I hope all of you up north are staying warm - it was unusually cold here last night (20) and we did et 5 inches of snow here during the big storm early in the week that dumped on all of you in Illinois and east.

Hope you are all doing well - my son loves the 10hp snow-thrower I gave him when I moved south.

It had been in the 70's for the week leading up to the snow, so when it came down it did not stick to the paved areas so no shoveling necessary luckily, but I did move my shovels down here just in case.

We got some ice yesterday morning but it did not hit us as bad as was foretold by the weather experts.

The high here today will be 32. We do get some mild change-of-season here, but generally it is in the 50s during the day and around freezing at night on average in the dead of winter here - not too bad but I am sure we will get used to it and be wearing parkas when it is 40 as time progresses; I didn't get rid of my carharts.

Stay warm and safe and know that spring is around the corner!

best

mqqn

My mother in law has covid, no surprise considering how her employer has handled things relating to the covid outbreak. She worked beside a woman running a fever who wasn't allowed to go home because they did not have anyone to take her place. The coworker tested positive the next morning.

My mother in law tested positive at home. Her supervisor asked her to get a test from a medical facility. She called the local Med Express and they gave her an appointment time. She showed up and called from her vehicle as instructed. They took all of her information over the phone then told her to sit and wait. They would get to her in 2-3 HOURS

I've been working since I was 17 years old and this morning was a first. It was the first time I was late for work because I overslept. Everyone else acts like it's no big deal but I feel terrible about it. My phone was having issues yesterday and while trying to resolve those issues I turned off notifications for my clock which is set to alarm every work day.

Back