The whiskey tribe and Trade!

Anybody try Ardbeg Wee Beastie yet? VERY curious about this... like all the other Ardbegs.

I haven't tried it yet but it's on my "buy list" as something to buy/try in the future.

Wee Beastie got good initial reviews but opinion of it has fallen over time simply because it pales in comparison w/Ardbeg 10, which costs about the same.

There also is the more expensive (but for me more desireable) Corryvreckan (Double Cask - Bourbon/French Oak) and Uigeadail (Double Cask - Bourbon/Sherry).

If your interested, you can find a comparison of Ardbeg 10, Corryvreckan and Uigeadail here.

The one I still need to buy is Uigedail, which I'd buy before Wee Beastie, but if you try it before any one else does, please let us know what you think.

Last edited:
Anybody try Ardbeg Wee Beastie yet? VERY curious about this... like all the other Ardbegs.
I've had it, for $45 it's pretty decent. Opening it and coming back to it after a few weeks definitely helped smooth it out a bit. I feel it has more peat flavor than the 10, but just more raw overall, which I believe is what they were going for.I'm not really picking any of the sherry finish, which is too bad since Uigeadail is still a favorite of mine as I'm a fan of sherry and smokey finishes. The newer batches are not quite as good as what was put out 5 or so years ago.

So I think the wee beastie is worth picking up, especially for the price.

Went on a "hunt" today for more whiskey (scotch and bourbon) and ended up spending about $1k on 7 bottles of bourbon and 5 bottles of scotch.

Here's what I scored:

Scotch:
Aberlour 16 (Double Cask - Oak/Sherry)
Aberlour Abundah (Sherry Cask Strength)
Bunnahabhain Toiteach A Dha (Smokey Two)
Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve
Genfiddich 14 (Bourbon casked)

Bourbon:
1792 Full Proof
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof
Heaven Hill 7yr Bottled in Bond
Hudson Bay Bourbon
McKenna 10
Ressell's Reserve 10
Woodinville Port Finished Ltd Special Release 2020

Bought all of the scotches at my local (30 miles away) Total Wine and More (TWM).

Broke my $100 limit buying the Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve because it's hard to find and I wanted to see how well it tasted while smoking a cigar, which is another "bad" habit that I've been cultivating during the pandemic.

Found thes all the bourbon a small local liquor store that "specializes" in craft beers and certain hard to find liquor. Their bourbon selection was excellent; the scotch selection not so much, but most of the bottles I bought were NOT available at my local TWM or BevMo stores. This makes a total of 31 bottles of scotch and 20 bottles of bourbon in my collection.

Looking forward to going back to this store to buy a bottle of Michter's 10 and Weller 12 that were also on my "buy" list and were on the shelf but wasn't ready to spend another $500 on just those 2 bottles.

Maybe next time. LOL! ;)

Going to be drinking the Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve w/a full bodied La Aroma de Cuba "Mi Amor" robusto cigar in a little while. Tasting notes to follow.

interested in the 1792 full proof and heavens hill. I've got the 1792 single barrel and its pretty good.

thats a chunk for the Michter's and Weller too. I'd like to try them both, I've had the lesser varieties and liked them each as well.
out of curiosity, what was the McKenna 10? running about 35 here, when you can find it

out of curiosity, what was the McKenna 10? running about 35 here, when you can find it

$105 (plus tax) for the McKenna 10.

3x's the price in your area but it's the only time that I've seen it, after multiple trips, to various liqour stores/departments in my area.

I knew I was getting ripped off but it wasn't so much as to bother me and I figured a "bird in the hand is worth 2 (or 3 in this case) in the bush."

The asking prices for the Michter's 10, Weller 12 and George T. Stagg, however, are beyond the pale and, just as there are overpriced knives that I refuse to buy, the same also applies for me to liquor and wine.

its a dance - state controlled here, so prices are good but availability is questionable. some is very limited. I've been lucky to get a bottle of van winkle lot B and EH Taylor single barrel, which are lottery picks only. thats in the last 5 years.

sometimes I'd rather pay more just to be able to get it. other times it just pisses me off.

Just got into Bourbon this year (mainly because of BF threads), and the compulsion took over. I spent the first few months searching every store I encountered, but soon realized that small shops seem to have some distain for "hunters" (which I can understand) and very few actually had any allocated items (unless hidden in the back - which is the case sometimes). The shops that did have a decent selection were charging crazy prices; again, I understand because "flippers" are constantly on the search and why should they make the extra over MSRP.

I finally came to the conclusion that you either pay the price when you find it at a small shop, or spend hours a week on the hunt. Nevertheless, I have been fortunate enough to amass a 50+ bottle collection of allocated/coveted bourbon. Many I found at MSRP out of pure luck (Old Forester 150th, Blanton's, Eagle Rare (regular and single barrel), Angel Envy Cask strength 2020, McKenna 10, EH Taylor Rye to name a few) and have paid over MSRP for just as many (Weller 12 and Antique, Stagg Jr., EH Taylor Single Barrel, Old Forester Birthday '20 to name a few more) without hesitation because I wanted them and could afford to overpay at the time. By pure chance, my neighborhood shop is one that has everything you want at a price - I have spent so much in the last 6 months that I now get the opportunity to be the first to overpay on all desirable bottles.

I have a definite problem with catching a "bug" for something and going all out to acquire as much as possible in the shortest time - not the right mind set if I was only looking to "flip", but I'm a drinker and collector (to drink in the future) so I grab what I can whenever and wherever I can.

Update: After posting, I decided to get out and sure enough I came home with more. I can add a Weller 12, Marker's Limited Release 2020 and Garrison Brothers Honeydew to the cabinet. I need help.

Last edited:
Just got into Bourbon this year (mainly because of BF threads), and the compulsion took over. I spent the first few months searching every store I encountered, but soon realized that small shops seem to have some distain for "hunters" (which I can understand) and very few actually had any allocated items (unless hidden in the back - which is the case sometimes). The shops that did have a decent selection were charging crazy prices; again, I understand because "flippers" are constantly on the search and why should they make the extra over MSRP.

I finally came to the conclusion that you either pay the price when you find it at a small shop, or spend hours a week on the hunt. Nevertheless, I have been fortunate enough to amass a 50+ bottle collection of allocated/coveted bourbon. Many I found at MSRP out of pure luck (Old Forester 150th, Blanton's, Eagle Rare (regular and single barrel), Angel Envy Cask strength 2020, McKenna 10, EH Taylor Rye to name a few) and have paid over MSRP for just as many (Weller 12 and Antique, Stagg Jr., EH Taylor Single Barrel, Old Forester Birthday '20 to name a few more) without hesitation because I wanted them and could afford to overpay at the time. By pure chance, my neighborhood shop is one that has everything you want at a price - I have spent so much in the last 6 months that I now get the opportunity to be the first to overpay on all desirable bottles.

I have a definite problem with catching a "bug" for something and going all out to acquire as much as possible in the shortest time - not the right mind set if I was only looking to "flip", but I'm a drinker and collector (to drink in the future) so I grab what I can whenever and wherever I can.

Update: After posting, I decided to get out and sure enough I came home with more. I can add a Weller 12, Marker's Limited Release 2020 and Garrison Brothers Honeydew to the cabinet. I need help.

I've got the same "problem" too!

Just went on a scotch/burbon buying binge too and now have over 30 bottles of scotch and 20 bottles of burbon in the cupboard now and I'm not done (at least as far as the scotch is concerned) yet.

I've pretty much hit my current purchase limit in bourbons, which is not my main drink of choice.

I did open the bottle of McKenna's 10 and tasted tested it against my bottle of Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style and, while good, the McKenna's did not impress me that much and will not join the Old Forester as one of my fave bourbons.

I too have the $ to buy the Michter's 10, Weller 12 and Geo T. Stagg that I saw on the shelf of my local liquor store but I'm just not going to do that because I think the drinking experience will probably be similiar to that w/the McKenna's 10 and, if I truly do think they are better than my current faves, it will place me in a dilemma that would require me to seek out more of the brand, which are virtually impossible to find and far too costly if/when I do.

So, it's just better that I don't taste them so that I don't know what I'm missing. LOL! ;)

if I truly do think they are better than my current faves, it will place me in a dilemma that would require me to seek out more of the brand, which are virtually impossible to find and far too costly if/when I do.

Then you definitely don't want to try them. They are very good.

Lol just found this thread. Never was a whiskey drinker and then while browsing through YouTube the whiskey tribe videos got recommended to me. For some unknown reason to me I started watching and went from 0 bottles to about 50 in a few months...not sure how many thousands of dollars i spent but it was worse than knives...still have many of them, had to replace a few...found a lot I like, some I don't care for and some ill never not have again. I'm mostly into the mild speyside whiskeys, redbreast 12, glenlivet 12, glenfidich 12...have some older ones but I find I usually like the 12's the best. As for bourbon, between the angels envy, four roses small batch, devils share, woodford, makers and many many others the Old Forrester 1920 takes it hands down!!!

Still buying scotches to expand/round out my collection.

Tapped out on bourbons for now; still bottles I'd like to buy but either can't find them or they are too expensive. Actually saw a couple bottles of McKenna 10 at a Total Wine & More today where I bought the scotches below but already bought a bottle of McKenna 10. However, still looking for others.

The scotches that I just bought in the past 2 days include:

Ardbeg Uigeadail to compare w/Ardbeg Corryvreckan.
Compass Box - Great King St. - Glasgow Blend to compare w/other blends like CB's Peat Monster and JW Green
Kilchoman Sanaig to compare w/Kilchoman Machir Bay
Glenfarclas 12 to compare w/other Highland & sherry casked single malts
BenRiach Smokey 10 to compare w/BenRiach's Peated Cask Strength

Just opened the Great King St -Glasgow Blend and it's delicious! No ID of the scotches used to create the blend but there's definitely some Islay in there. Has a lot of spice but goes down smooth w/a sweet taste from the sherry casking. More interesting and engaging than Johnny Walker Green which seems really tame in comparison. Will have to do a side by side tasting of them later.

BTW, Great King St's unpeated Artist Blend is very good too.

A lot of other easy to find scotches still on my buy list (just to establish a baseline for various brands) which I'm not in any hurry to buy because (for the most part) they aren't as well regarded as the other bottles of the same brands that I've already purchased.

However, the bottle of scotch on the top of my buy list right now is the (so-far for me) impossible to find AnCnoc Peatheart.

Would appreciate a "head up" if anyone in Norcal (or southern FL, I found a friend there) knows where to buy one. ;)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Glasgow Blend is a pretty good deal, you can find it for around $30 sometimes

I paid $55 for it, including the standard San Francisco Bay Area cost of living tax, plus the CA state tax on top of that. ;)

Just bought a bottle of Michter's 10 and Weller Special Reserve.

Details posted in Post #494 on Page 25 in the Blades & Bourbon thread here.

Not much of a cocktail drinker but I "found" this receipe for a "Penicillin" that I decided to give a try because it specifically includes the use of Islay scotch for a finishing topping.

See: Penicillin Cocktail

It's a twist on a whskey sour and the receipe calls for 2 oz of a "blended" scotch topped w/ 1/4 oz of an Islay single malt. The most time consuming part of the receipe is making the ginger-honey syrup but once done you've got about 2 cups of syrup available to make about 16-20 cocktails.

I chose Johnny Walker Green for the blend and Lagavulin 16 for the Islay single malt and it was DELICIOUS!!!!

I could go thru A LOT of JW Green if I decide to make/drink more Penicillins. In fact, I already made/drank 2.

LOL!!!! ;)

I don't know if there are any other cocktails that call for the use of Islay in the mix (let me know if any of you know of others) probably because the smoke/peat taste/flavor would overwhelm any other tastes/flavors but the smoke/peat is balanced in this cocktail w/the use of ginger which is a very strong taste/flavor in its own right.

Update:

I also made a Peniciilin using Compass Box's - Great King St, Glasglow Blend which further enhanced the smoky peaty flavor of cocktail. Will go one step later by trying Compass Box's - Peat Monster which should enhance those flavors further. Will stick w/Lagavulin 16 as the topper (for now in order to avoid introducing too many different taste factor) which gives a long lasting taste of peat even if using as less pronounced blend like JW Green. However, there are obviously other peaty Islays that could also be used as the topper, like Laphroaig and Ardberg in particular, which I will experiment w/later.

Last edited:
I thought I replied here about this.... but I guess I didn't.
Found me a new Bourbon. Driftless Glen straight bourbon whiskey single barrel.
Locally sourced and distilled in Baraboo Wisconsin.
Fantastic stuff! Will definitely be buying more of this. I'm getting taste notes out of this bourbon that I've never gotten out of anything ever before.
About time them damn cheese-heads did something right!

Just bought a bottle of Johnny Walker Black at Trader Joe's just because it was cheap and I was there.

Bought it to make a 3 way comparison between JW Green, JW Black and JW Double Black. Just drank the JW Black and Double Black end to end (not side by side) and the Black comes off tasting pretty bland from a peat/smoke POV.

Don't think I'd buy another bottle of Black but would buy another of Green and Double Black. The Double Black has the most peat and is the most interesting to me.

Although the Green does not have a lot of peat, it is a blend of 4 highly regarded brands that are each aged for 15 years and is the smoothest of the 3 bottles neat and, while the peat is not pronounced, it's there and the blend is really ideal as a cheap sipper to me as a Islay peat dram fan.

Last edited:
Just bought a bottle of Johnny Walker Black at Trader Joe's just because it was cheap and I was there.

Bought it to make a 3 way comparison between JW Green, JW Black and JW Double Black. Just drank the JW Black and Double Black end to end (not side by side) and the Black comes off tasting pretty bland from a peat/smoke POI.

Don't think I'd buy another bottle of Black but would buy another of Green and Double Black. The Double Black has the most peat and is the most interesting to me.

Although the Green does not have a lot of peat, is is a blend of 4 highly regarded brands that are each aged for 15 year and is the smoothest of the 3 bottles neat and, while the peat is not pronounced, it's there and the blend is really ideal as a cheap sipper to me as a Islay peat dram fan.
Heeeey, I was just reading about Trader Joe's Finlaggan, whisky is from a mystery Islay distillery. Ever had it? They don't sell booze where I am.

Heeeey, I was just reading about Trader Joe's Finlaggan, whisky is from a mystery Islay distillery. Ever had it? They don't sell booze where I am.

Looked over the shelves of scotch and bourbon at TJs closely but don't recall seeing that one.

They have a pretty good basic selection of bourbons and scotches, including (among other things) Elijah Craig Small Batch and Woodenville in bourbons and Dalhwhinnie, Balvenie Doublewood and Laphroig in scotch.

Will take a pic of the shelves and look for Finlaggan the next time.

Last edited:
BTW, unwisefool unwisefool : Is this the article you read about TJ's Finlaggan?

See: Trader Joe's Scotch Whiskies

If so, it does sound interesting but I hate buying "mystery" bottles even if they are cheap; same applies to Costco's offerings.

The author thinks Finlaggan's is a bottling of Bowmore but I've got already a great bottle of Bowmore 15 on the shelf (as well as Caol Ila 12, which the author thinks it might be as well). Earlier versions may been from Lagavulin and, if that's still the case, I'd know for sure it if I smell/taste it because there's nothing subtle about Lagavulin.

I wouldn't normally bother trolling thru bottles of unknown origin just because they're cheap and supposedly good BUT (for you) I might take a flyer and buy a bottle of Finlaggan (if it really costs only $20) just to see what I think it is.

Will let you know if I do but frankly I'm more interested in the "secret" 19 yr old Highland single malt for $49.

LOL! ;)

Last edited:
Back