The "WIP" Thread - What was your project today?

Working on my first sheath ever; a pine scabbard for this custom chopper (bottom knife in this pic.) :

As you can see I took a break from the sheath and wrapped the handle instead LOL... ;):D:rolleyes::foot: Many lessons have been learned on both these jobs so far; kudos to knifemakers who do this stuff daily... :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::cool:

Black Micarta scale WIP for one of my Spyderco Gayle Bradley's; they'll be finished someday. :foot:;)

Dude that's awesome! I don't think I've ever seen a WIP on a wooden scabbard!!

Here is the finished Gyuto that had the big chip... also discovered large left and right bends in the edge that I hammered out :eek:

The regrind,

The coarse stone,

Finish stone,

Recently picked up a Native S110V on trade but was a tad thicker than I like a blade to be. So, after a belt sander diet and a fresh sharpening it's much nicer. Took it down to .015 from .027

Wow dude... that Gyuto turned out AMAZING, great work!! :thumbup: And the regrind looks great as well! Bet it cuts a ton better now!!! What did you set the final edge angle to on that one? What is the optimum edge angle on s110v in your experience?

Dude that's awesome! I don't think I've ever seen a WIP on a wooden scabbard!!

Wow dude... that Gyuto turned out AMAZING, great work!! :thumbup: And the regrind looks great as well! Bet it cuts a ton better now!!! What did you set the final edge angle to on that one? What is the optimum edge angle on s110v in your experience?

Thanks!

It's probably around 30 inclusive, Fine DMT followed by 1 micron CBN. It's a much better cutter plus it sharpens easer and takes a better edge (as would be expected) but I'm not sure if S110V is to my liking. I like lasting sharpness and this steel is more of a working edge sharpness after a little bit of cutting. It's a sweet knife but I think I'm going to try and trade it for some Spyderco HAP40.

Awesome thanks for sharing Jason!!

This one is one of the ones I'm working on today... Blade/detent work only

i-vksxSPX-X2.jpg

Done with grinding now and moving on to sanding, pin holes,and then heat treat.

Looks good dude! Get the flat grinding figured out??

Here's my project from yesterday... so I lied, I also did some major detent work on this one. I installed a ceramic detent ball, removed the secondary detent out of the way, and drilled a hole for the now-primary detent ball. If you are familiar w/ Emerson's they have like, zero detent retention when closed. Now it is perfect and flicks open MUCH better. Then I proceeded w/ the KACK grind. This is a CQC14 jsyk.

Here you can see the new detent hole drilled...

i-JVXSXmz-X2.jpg

here is another before pic of the other side, but w/ the 2D shape roughed in for what I was going for.

i-gwrjFvn-X2.jpg

After the detent work I hand rubbed the flats prior to the grind work...

i-KPGGMCT-X2.jpg

And here is the final product!

i-Q4w9xFc-X2.jpg

i-Vm3WCVG-X2.jpg

WOW again. I am so glad I found this WIP because you do great work Razor-edge-knives. That grind you put on is awesome. I bet that ceramic ball just glides too.

As far as flat grinding goes I got it done but far from good yet. It is really hard for me to just be happy with something unless it is perfect. I have learned though that is good to stop before you screw it up. One day I will be good at grinding.
I got holes done and started a very small amount of sanding.
0ca3d7f8edcbcac5cf3b01d25312b5d9.jpg

I also cut out a chunk of Bocote wood for the scales. Really excited to see them finished.
748613444de4c86d6516a4ecbf0cb865.jpg

Looks good dude! Get the flat grinding figured out??

Here's my project from yesterday... so I lied, I also did some major detent work on this one. I installed a ceramic detent ball, removed the secondary detent out of the way, and drilled a hole for the now-primary detent ball. If you are familiar w/ Emerson's they have like, zero detent retention when closed. Now it is perfect and flicks open MUCH better. Then I proceeded w/ the KACK grind. This is a CQC14 jsyk.

Here you can see the new detent hole drilled...

i-JVXSXmz-X2.jpg

here is another before pic of the other side, but w/ the 2D shape roughed in for what I was going for.

i-gwrjFvn-X2.jpg

After the detent work I hand rubbed the flats prior to the grind work...

i-KPGGMCT-X2.jpg

And here is the final product!

i-Q4w9xFc-X2.jpg

i-Vm3WCVG-X2.jpg

Such an awesome looking grind! They should have come like that from Emerson : ) Very clean looking now!

WOW again. I am so glad I found this WIP because you do great work Razor-edge-knives. That grind you put on is awesome. I bet that ceramic ball just glides too.

As far as flat grinding goes I got it done but far from good yet. It is really hard for me to just be happy with something unless it is perfect. I have learned though that is good to stop before you screw it up. One day I will be good at grinding.
I got holes done and started a very small amount of sanding.
I also cut out a chunk of Bocote wood for the scales. Really excited to see them finished.

Looking good man! You don't have much time to finish up! ;) Cant wait to see the final product!

Such an awesome looking grind! They should have come like that from Emerson : ) Very clean looking now!

Thank you sir!

Still working on this one...

Wow man that's coming together!... what else do you have to finish on it?

Final contouring....

Finahed it up today.

Started two back-spacers for two other projects. Ill get pics of those tomorrow.

^^ sweet man, nice job! Quality takes time right! ;)

This was on the docket for today, still have to Cerakote it, will try to get some WIP pics of that process. Took a tanto SNG and converted to a sheepsfoot type grind

i-QDG5XXc-X2.jpg

You just need to start making knives, you are very talented with the grinder.

Very nice work, Josh.

Here is some sharpening work I have for tonight/tomorrow.

15F0B0DE-D1C1-4153-BB9F-7D4A0661E9CC.jpg

33380CE5-9533-48CB-8887-A982EB697D04.jpg

Gyuto all the way to the right,

595CF759-11F7-4923-99A4-52B320239845.jpg

9A71E6D6-E4C2-47EE-B1F1-70ACB64E4325.jpg

Gyuto on wooden saya,

7CC0121B-F1B8-451B-A2D6-20BA4E5688CA.jpg

96884376-5369-4760-8EE3-823AEB33123C.jpg

D2F345D3-7159-4986-B529-504683AC8299.jpg
Hey! I think I see a familiar knife there.... Is that gb mine?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Great thread here!

I had an idea this morning about doing a fluting pattern in titanium that looked like radiant light, so, after messing around on the computer half the day, I came up with my "Radiant Fluting" pattern, first for the Kershaw Link. I am super stoked with how it came out....

Been thinking about this. I'm not making knife scales (yet) but I do run a personal Laguna cnc. Water cooled spindle, but I do not have a spray coolant setup for the workpiece. When I purchased the cnc, it was advertised as being able to mill titanium without workpiece coolant. Is that actually possible?

Been thinking about this. I'm not making knife scales (yet) but I do run a personal Laguna cnc. Water cooled spindle, but I do not have a spray coolant setup for the workpiece. When I purchased the cnc, it was advertised as being able to mill titanium without workpiece coolant. Is that actually possible?

I believe it is possible to mill Ti without flood coolant if you are using coated endmills, though I think chip clearing could still be an issue. An air blast system would probably be needed, especially when doing deep pockets or slotting. Ti really holds heat and is pretty volitile stuff and the chips can be a fire hazard much like magnesium I hear, so overall most everyone uses flood coolant. I haven't tried it dry, certain cuts would probably be fine, but my slotting ops would toast the endmill quickly running dry (found this out when my coolant line got bumped and was missing the mill -- snap!).

Back