The "WIP" Thread - What was your project today?

You just need to start making knives, you are very talented with the grinder.

This x1000 Josh. I'll be first in line to buy one, too!

Thanks very much guys, I wish! But I lack the time and equipment to fully begin making folders ... I would like to make kitchen knives first though probably! But right now I'm just trying to make bread-n-butter! :D

This was mostly what I worked on today... slow day, spent some time w/ my family which is unusual for me! Most of the time I'm working.

Hollow ground and added swedge to give it a little more aggressive look, took the edge to about .011-.012" thick at 15 dps.

IMG_20160509_215756-X2.jpg

IMG_20160509_233150-X2.jpg

This one is coming up in a day or two... only done one before, fun to grind... makes you wanna pull your hair out! lol

i-PSw2jCV-X2.jpg

Last edited:
Sign me up for your first run of kitchen knives.

You got it buddy :thumbup:

So here is a follow up on the SNG from the other day... just did a batch of Cerakote.

Here it is fresh out of the oven!

i-rC3TppS-X2.jpg

You can see the thinned down profile here really well

i-gJcKRFG-X2.jpg

And the final pics =)

IMG_20160510_190900-X2.jpg

IMG_20160510_191014-X2.jpg

https://razoredgeknives.smugmug.com/WIP1/Misc/n-BnXFZr/i-PSw2jCV/0/X2/i-PSw2jCV-X2.jpg[/IMG]

Finished the grind... owner wanted them raised up for higher cutting ability, now for blasting and etch/stonewashing... gonna be hard to find a container big enough for this one

i-vNP45GR-X2.jpg

This one....
Scales, backspacer, worn clip.

Nice work Elite! I love the green accents in the back spacer! Nice contouring as well.

Nice work on that regrind R-E-K. I think it will chop great.

I did get some work done this week. I was able to get up to a 600 grit sand job done on my first cleaver.
6fe8581371ef34e2995ca8fcd6476a0d.jpg

As for the second one I got half the grinding done the handle profiled and the end filed. I am excited about the second one it should be tough.
I painted it black to keep an eye on my grind lines and I think it looks really cool that way. If only I new someone who did cerakote....
05981b876c56b782304faaf83bd8fa45.jpg
ad3edeccc10e8386ec367bc19f02ba4a.jpg

This one today. Just got it together. Got some black liners amd black pivot in the works. Too bad I dont like coated blades..

Nice work on that regrind R-E-K. I think it will chop great.

I did get some work done this week. I was able to get up to a 600 grit sand job done on my first cleaver.

As for the second one I got half the grinding done the handle profiled and the end filed. I am excited about the second one it should be tough.
I painted it black to keep an eye on my grind lines and I think it looks really cool that way. If only I new someone who did cerakote....

Thanks bud. Man that thing's coming together! Gonna look sweet w/ the scales!

This one today. Just got it together. Got some black liners amd black pivot in the works. Too bad I dont like coated blades..

Nice I love that theme Kevin!

Continuing on w/ the Tracker work!!

Had to sandblast off the old Cerakote to get it prepped for etching...

i-Nt8jWwT-X2.jpg

This is fresh out of the etch... It is interesting how the etch is darker near the edge, I believe it may be due to a differential heat treat but I'm not positive.

i-3KT66J2-X2.jpg

And WOW was this thing a pain to stonewash, I had to use a 5 gal bucket! Here's some final shots!

i-xtdfkwz-X2.jpg

i-7KGb6LG-X2.jpg

Really cool stuff.

I bet that one didn't get thown in the dryer to tumble. <---- I still do this.

Question that I know will be answered here instead of starting a new thread. If I wanna stonewash a blade In a Gatorade bottle how many rocks of what size do I put in it to shake by hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12" Ontario Machete,
I still have to a few more hours of hand sanding to do on the home made micarta handle.

IMG_1512%20copy.jpg

Some may know better than me, but I would use about 1/3 - 1/2 the bottle full of small river stone pebbles (1/8" - 1/2" diameter mixed)

I spent a large part of my weekend (the weather was brutal) doing something that I had wanted to do for a very long time..

I got a bunch of different grit stones, an Insingo, and a bunch of ideas and started sharpening....

I think I put a good 20 hours into it, trying all kinds of techniques until I could either rule them out or incorporate something from them to improve the way I have been free-handing for years.....if you don't try you will never know....

It was frustrating at times, (especially the mechanics behind some of the techniques) A lot of what I tried improved certain aspects of the edge, but not others, most importantly though, a lot of the things I tried really opened my eyes to changing some of my mechanics, and I adapted a lot of the "good" to my sharpening technique.

I also learned that 600 grit is where I like my edges at.

I added some more charachter to my "test mule" Insingo...but it was worth it.

Improving something that I have done one way for so long wasn't easy, but I feel like with all I learned this weekend, I will get much better edges as I continue to incorporate some of these new-to-me techniques....It's going to take me months to put all of what I have learned this weekend into a sharpening routine that flows the way I used to do things.

1463369266.7158.jpg

Last edited:
This edge right here is the "bastard child" of all my experimentation.

It is as good as the best edge's I have achieved in the past, and it's really not even set in terms of bevels.

It's a work in progress, and I will update this thread when I have had a chance to use it, see how it works in "real life" (not just PB paper) and have refined it to the point where I am satisfied that all this experimentation has improved my edges as much as I think it has...

I am still struggling a bit with the changes to my technique and figuring out what out of the new things I have added are truly beneficial to the process.

1463371017.5601.jpg

That looks great Alex! I agree on the 600 grit edge!!

12" Ontario Machete,
I still have to a few more hours of hand sanding to do on the home made micarta handle.

Did you do that blade finish yourself too? Looks amazing!

Some may know better than me, but I would use about 1/3 - 1/2 the bottle full of small river stone pebbles (1/8" - 1/2" diameter mixed)

I agree, should give it a nice stonewash!

Here's my latest work...

A Kizer Caligine.

i-VgfmrNB-X2.jpg

Was going for something like this:

RHK0545-MV887-2.jpg

My customer wanted a specific blade configuration on this one and was good w/ de-flipperizing it (detent lock up was perfect for a thumb opener), so inevitably this one had to lose some blade length. I therefore extended the edge back toward the handle some to get as much cutting edge as possible.

Here it is w/ the 2D shape roughed in and de-flipperized!

i-sQxLK42-X2.jpg

Next I marked out where I wanted the new plunge line to be taken to, had to be careful here not to get into the detent travel path!

i-XDM3fNh-X2.jpg

i-zX7CLR9-X2.jpg

And here it is reground to 220 grit, I matched the existing types of grinds just raised them a bit. I left the tip thicker for more strength, however, I set up the grind in such a way that it can be sharpened on the Wicked Edge at 15 dps and you can transition from sharpening the main edge to sharpening the tanto w/ out making any adjustments!

i-hKg2wdS-X2.jpg

i-tkjgMPz-X3.jpg

i-DDPCnWm-X2.jpg

Here's my latest work...

A Kizer Caligine.

i-VgfmrNB-X2.jpg

Was going for something like this:

RHK0545-MV887-2.jpg

My customer wanted a specific blade configuration on this one and was good w/ de-flipperizing it (detent lock up was perfect for a thumb opener), so inevitably this one had to lose some blade length. I therefore extended the edge back toward the handle some to get as much cutting edge as possible.

Here it is w/ the 2D shape roughed in and de-flipperized!

i-sQxLK42-X2.jpg

Next I marked out where I wanted the new plunge line to be taken to, had to be careful here not to get into the detent travel path!

i-XDM3fNh-X2.jpg

i-zX7CLR9-X2.jpg

And here it is reground to 220 grit, I matched the existing types of grinds just raised them a bit. I left the tip thicker for more strength, however, I set up the grind in such a way that it can be sharpened on the Wicked Edge at 15 dps and you can transition from sharpening the main edge to sharpening the tanto w/ out making any adjustments!

i-hKg2wdS-X2.jpg

i-tkjgMPz-X3.jpg

i-DDPCnWm-X2.jpg

wow amazing work Josh that came out looking great!

Yes, it just a forced patina using yellow mustard, I try to draw lines across the blade as best as I can by dipping a fork into the mustard and letting it dry. Then rinse and repeat 3-4 times.

Well you did a great job!! Gonna have to try that some time!

wow amazing work Josh that came out looking great!
Thanks man, it was a fun project =)

Man, you need to bring a folder to the market.....
Make a small run and give all the buyers some options on grinds/geometry.

Just remember who gets the first one!

Back