1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The Wonderous Whittler

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Gevonovich, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Gevonovich

Gevonovich Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2011
    There is something special about the Whittler pattern. And this old Schrade Walden #804 ( Old #4) is no exception. How many of you have an example of this pattern. Show us you whittler

The detailed craftsmanship

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark Side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pile Side

[​IMG]

2. confucius37

confucius37 Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2008
    Wow, that is spectacular! I am absolutely floored by that attention to detail...the details are usually what draw me towards a knife and that one has it all! That groove in the liner...I'd buy that knife for that detail alone! Not to mention the sunk joints, grooved bolster...and that bone! You have a winner there on all accounts!

3. DrPenguin

DrPenguin

Mar 2, 2005
    I have exactly one whittler, a Queen SFO in 2nd cut stag and D2 from a few years ago. For size comparison it is alongside a GEC conductor. Wonderful pattern and this one really struck a chord with me when I saw it.

Will

[​IMG]

4. DrPenguin

DrPenguin

Mar 2, 2005
    I agree. That is one fine specimen. Those old dudes sure knew how to do their jigging and fitting didn't they?

Will

5. pertinux

pertinux Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Prickle Ickle!

Er, mighty fine knife you have there. I am just a lit-tle distracted by the background. ;)

Am I understanding this picture correctly, ie, does the vee cutout allow for just that much more length on the main blade?

Also, as best you can tell, is the "easy-open" crescent for the coping blade original? (I'm guessing, "yes.")

Any chance we can see the blades open? I'd like to see both clip blades, especially. At least, it looks like one of the secondaries is also a clip?

(I know, I know-- all these questions! Yours is a beautiful knife, however, and I'd love to know more.)

This is my first (and only) whittler, chosen in no small part because of my interest in how the three blades and their springs all fit (and work) together. This seemed a good place to start:

[​IMG]

The nail nicks against the blade angles (including the swedge) look downright cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

~ P.

6. Humppa

Humppa

Jul 25, 2010
    SV-97 likes this.
  7. glennbad

glennbad Knife Moddin' Fool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 13, 2003
    Here's one that I've been carrying this week, a N.C. Co. that I redid in Ebony...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SV-97 and Amir Fleschwund like this.
  8. jwolf90

jwolf90

Oct 17, 2011
    That's a stunner :thumbup: Lately I'm really appreciating the quality of craftsmanship that went into some of these old knives, and this is a great example. Your's too Glenn!!

9. Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Sarah
    To answer you questions I will post some pictures as you requested

Your questions below:

Am I understanding this picture correctly, ie, does the vee cutout allow for just that much more length on the main blade?

This one should be answered by someone more knowledgeable than myself.

Also, as best you can tell, is the "easy-open" crescent for the coping blade original? (I'm guessing, "yes.")

Yes your right.

Any chance we can see the blades open? I'd like to see both clip blades, especially. At least, it looks like one of the secondaries is also a clip?

Pictures to follow:

Some wonderful examples guys and gals...keep them coming!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
    Amir Fleschwund likes this.
  10. Smithhammer

Smithhammer

Nov 9, 2012
    Love my Northwoods Whittler. Great pattern:

[​IMG]

11. akadave2

akadave2 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Old Schrade bone is just the best!

12. sturzi

sturzi

Dec 12, 2007
    What a beauty. Where do you keep finding these treasures? I'm jealous.
    Heck, I'm jealous of that tree stump, I have the feeling it met more old knives than I ever will ;)

Very interesting, I've never seen that before. Mostly the very thick tang is ground down to a normal thickness instead of using 'whatever you call it'... spacers?

PS: Who is this Laura? Is it Sarah's second name? Or has she been lying to us all this time? Intriguing :D

13. Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Thanks for correcting me,sturzi I apologize Sarah...I knew that ...I corrected it. I plead stress and old age.

The tree stump bit gave me a good laugh...thanks

14. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    The Schrade 804 is a great knife! It has substantial heft; you can get a good grip and work with it! Nice example!!
    I have a couple, and have often wondered about that notch in the filler piece, but never got a satisfactory answer.
    Here are a few lighter whittlers, Empires - some pretty old!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. shrapne1

shrapne1

Aug 17, 2012
    ill bite, from a mechanical standpoint, the whittler is my absolute favorite design. Imagine how hard it is to nail properly, and have correct spring tension and no play in the blades with a distal taper...

Sorry about the crappy pictures but there's NO such thing as a sun in washington state!
    The Mechanics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the blade
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the construction
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Wow!!! Thank you so much for sharing these treasures, Charlie! Incredible beauties

17. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    It's mutual, Gevonovich! Thank you too!

Great closeups, shrapne1!

18. shrapne1

shrapne1

Aug 17, 2012
    Thank you!
    I think Mr. Erickson once did a WIP showing what it takes to make a split spring whittler. Its quite a challenge and everything has to be just perfect.

19. rarreola

rarreola

Dec 4, 2010
    Nice whittlers!!!
    Here is mine:
    Western Boulder Co

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
    Ice Tigre and Amir Fleschwund like this.
  20. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Incredible knives shown here folks, Charlie and Gevonovich-outstanding examples!

Heres my Case Wedged Sprung Whittler.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]