The Wonderous Whittler

There is something special about the Whittler pattern. And this old Schrade Walden #804 ( Old #4) is no exception. How many of you have an example of this pattern. Show us you whittler

The detailed craftsmanship

Whittler1_zps9afe68b7.jpg

Whittler5_zpsde1ccb95.jpg

Mark Side

Whittler2_zpsb7105851.jpg

Whittler4_zps9c0cae60.jpg

Pile Side

Whittler3_zpsfaba5b2e.jpg

Wow, that is spectacular! I am absolutely floored by that attention to detail...the details are usually what draw me towards a knife and that one has it all! That groove in the liner...I'd buy that knife for that detail alone! Not to mention the sunk joints, grooved bolster...and that bone! You have a winner there on all accounts!

I have exactly one whittler, a Queen SFO in 2nd cut stag and D2 from a few years ago. For size comparison it is alongside a GEC conductor. Wonderful pattern and this one really struck a chord with me when I saw it.

Will

com_01_zpsf86514b9.jpg

Wow, that is spectacular! I am absolutely floored by that attention to detail...the details are usually what draw me towards a knife and that one has it all! That groove in the liner...I'd buy that knife for that detail alone! Not to mention the sunk joints, grooved bolster...and that bone! You have a winner there on all accounts!

I agree. That is one fine specimen. Those old dudes sure knew how to do their jigging and fitting didn't they?

Will

Prickle Ickle!

Er, mighty fine knife you have there. I am just a lit-tle distracted by the background. ;)

Gevonovich said:

Am I understanding this picture correctly, ie, does the vee cutout allow for just that much more length on the main blade?

Also, as best you can tell, is the "easy-open" crescent for the coping blade original? (I'm guessing, "yes.")

Any chance we can see the blades open? I'd like to see both clip blades, especially. At least, it looks like one of the secondaries is also a clip?

(I know, I know-- all these questions! Yours is a beautiful knife, however, and I'd love to know more.)

This is my first (and only) whittler, chosen in no small part because of my interest in how the three blades and their springs all fit (and work) together. This seemed a good place to start:

IMG_8347_zps5930f173.jpg:original

The nail nicks against the blade angles (including the swedge) look downright cool:

IMG_8602_zps4bc52b78.jpg:original

IMG_8490_zps5c2963a3.jpg:original

IMG_8494_zpsb852aba3.jpg:original

~ P.

That's a stunner :thumbup: Lately I'm really appreciating the quality of craftsmanship that went into some of these old knives, and this is a great example. Your's too Glenn!!

Sarah
To answer you questions I will post some pictures as you requested

Your questions below:

Am I understanding this picture correctly, ie, does the vee cutout allow for just that much more length on the main blade?

This one should be answered by someone more knowledgeable than myself.

Also, as best you can tell, is the "easy-open" crescent for the coping blade original? (I'm guessing, "yes.")

Yes your right.

Any chance we can see the blades open? I'd like to see both clip blades, especially. At least, it looks like one of the secondaries is also a clip?

Pictures to follow:

Some wonderful examples guys and gals...keep them coming!

Walden6_zps47650c39.jpg

Walden7_zps98c7f4be.jpg

Walden2_zps861dc304.jpg

Walden3_zpsef6878eb.jpg

Walden5_zps65e210a6.jpg

Walden4_zps92d8aa80.jpg

Walden1_zps4673838d.jpg

Last edited:
What a beauty. Where do you keep finding these treasures? I'm jealous.
Heck, I'm jealous of that tree stump, I have the feeling it met more old knives than I ever will ;)

Very interesting, I've never seen that before. Mostly the very thick tang is ground down to a normal thickness instead of using 'whatever you call it'... spacers?

PS: Who is this Laura? Is it Sarah's second name? Or has she been lying to us all this time? Intriguing :D

Heck, I'm jealous of that tree stump, I have the feeling it met more old knives than I ever will ;)

Very interesting, I've never seen that before. Mostly the very thick tang is ground down to a normal thickness instead of using 'whatever you call it'... spacers?

PS: Who is this Laura? Is it Sarah's second name? Or has she been lying to us all this time? Intriguing :D

Thanks for correcting me,sturzi I apologize Sarah...I knew that ...I corrected it. I plead stress and old age.

The tree stump bit gave me a good laugh...thanks

The Schrade 804 is a great knife! It has substantial heft; you can get a good grip and work with it! Nice example!!
I have a couple, and have often wondered about that notch in the filler piece, but never got a satisfactory answer.
Here are a few lighter whittlers, Empires - some pretty old!
EmpireWhittlersMore.jpg

EmpireWhittlersMoreBacksprings.jpg

ill bite, from a mechanical standpoint, the whittler is my absolute favorite design. Imagine how hard it is to nail properly, and have correct spring tension and no play in the blades with a distal taper...

Sorry about the crappy pictures but there's NO such thing as a sun in washington state!
The Mechanics:
20121218_181528_zpsba70251d.jpg

20121225_201944_zps5cd5f0fb.jpg

the blade
20130103_174425_zps78b555e3.jpg

20130103_201655_zpsc0caa6f4.jpg

the construction
20130103_201858_zps4e45cf8d.jpg

20130103_201938_HDR_zps4c82d3be.jpg

20130103_202133_zpsff5915e0.jpg

It's mutual, Gevonovich! Thank you too!

Great closeups, shrapne1!

Thank you!
I think Mr. Erickson once did a WIP showing what it takes to make a split spring whittler. Its quite a challenge and everything has to be just perfect.

Incredible knives shown here folks, Charlie and Gevonovich-outstanding examples!

Heres my Case Wedged Sprung Whittler.......

DSCF9035_zpsa2bc9db1.jpg

DSCF9036_zps6b322907.jpg

Back