The Wonderous Whittler

Splendid comparison shots, Owen!!! Thank you very much and when I get more time I will be studying them further. I really appreciate you time:thumbup:

I am new to slipjoints and just found the whittler pattern. I think this might be my new favorite so I would like to see pictures of any whittlers you have.

I read the above post (a new thread) and was astonished at how far this thread had fallen-- it wasn't on the first several pages of search results.

Fortunately, almost all the image links still work. I've been pawing back through it, and thought I'd bump it to the fore for those who may have missed it, and/or anyone with new contributions. :)

~ P.

Thanks Sarah.I have an old Wharncliffe I am fond of.

Lennox Cutlery Company Germany 4" Wharncliffe whittler c 1904-1914 pick bone? covers

DSCF3916-1.jpg

DSCF3913.jpg

DSCF3908-1.jpg

DSCF3919.jpg

DSCF3920.jpg

You know better than that Gev. Where's the open shot?

- Christian

ofcx7m.jpg

Here is my Schatt & Morgan/Queen :)

2ex7y39.jpg

With it being a Queen Cutlery made knife, I imagine that even though it's a modern time made knife, that the pattern is simply one they have likely been using for many, many decades. So even though new vintage made, ole school design for them.

Last edited:
Here's my whittler. It's my first experience with the pattern, and even though it's slightly different than a "regular ol" whittler, I'm really growing fond of the blade configuration. The split/wedged backsprings are really cool, too.

CCwhitLeaves.jpg

I find whittler's very interesting knives in that it is the blade/spring arraignment(general consensus) that defines them as whittlers, while many others traditional knives are defined by their frame shape. There are many variations of frame shapes to choose from when considering a whittler.

I have made more than a few whittlers but this one ranks right up at the top for me. Unique frame shape, locking master, unique shape and grind to master blade etc.

I find whittler's very interesting knives in that it is the blade/spring arraignment(general consensus) that defines them as whittlers, while many others traditional knives are defined by their frame shape. There are many variations of frame shapes to choose from when considering a whittler.

I have made more than a few whittlers but this one ranks right up at the top for me. Unique frame shape, locking master, unique shape and grind to master blade etc.

Very attractive knife :)

What Lyle said!

Beauty Ken! Quite a feat of engineering!!

It is always interesting to compare older and newer pocketknives.
Here are two Case 6380 Whittlers, made about 50 years apart.

6380EarlyandLate_zps372bf582.jpg

6380EarlyandLateWedges_zps9a304faf.jpg

So similar, yet so different!

Back