The Woodsman now going 420 SS

How can we get a 420 Woodsman to Revolverrodger? Anyone have an extra? I would, but I only own the previous model(which I’ve already tested). I’m almost curious enough to buy one next sale.

Last edited:
Do you have a background in metallurgy where you can test the chemical composition we have been discussing?

I was talking more along the lines of severe torture testing
I know my woodsman in 5160 can handle alot... I really wonder about 420

Your from Canada so the risk goes! It night be cheaper to borrow rogue’s blade.

I hope they survive as a money making enterprise into the 22nd century.

Servotronics Consumer Products Group (aka Ontario Knife Company) is losing money ever since 2011, and their revenue is only half of what it was 10 years ago.
Judging by first 2 quarters of 2018, downward trend didn't slow down much at all.

Unless they pull rabbit out of hat (big hit product lineup), they'll be gone in 10 years.

I trully hope they can turn it around, but the way they tackle problems I have my doubts.

Servotronics Consumer Products Group (aka Ontario Knife Company) is losing money ever since 2011, and their revenue is only half of what it was 10 years ago.
Judging by first 2 quarters of 2018, downward trend didn't slow down much at all.

Unless they pull rabbit out of hat (big hit product lineup), they'll be gone in 10 years.

I trully hope they can turn it around, but the way they tackle problems I have my doubts.

So smart collectors should start buying Ontario blades by the dozens, as long as they have room to store them for 15-20 years, when nostalgia for the brand increases value, as it did for Camillus and schrade knives. I have already done so, but more for the coolness of their blades than for any desire for profit.

How can we get a 420 Woodsman to Revolverrodger? Anyone have an extra? I would, but I only own the previous model(which I’ve already tested). I’m almost curious enough to buy one next sale.

Maybe ontario could donate a 420 model for a passaround
Each person testing it could document the toughness and edge retention

Um, fake news... SVT is doing well, if you look at the graph here:
https://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/chart/SVT.P
look at the 5 year stock price chart... they are not google or amazon, but they are stable and somewhat cyclical with an improving baseline.
Luckily, the Ontario side of things is pretty minimal compared to the other side, which does high end valves for aircraft etc:

Last edited:
Um, fake news... SVT is doing well, if you look at the graph here:
https://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/chart/SVT.P
look at the 5 year stock price chart... they are not google or amazon, but they are stable and somewhat cyclical with an improving baseline.
Luckily, the Ontario side of things is pretty minimal compared to the other side, which does high end valves for aircraft etc:

Servotronics subsidy "Consumer Products Group" (aka OKC) is not profitable since 2011 (source: http://servotronics.com/investor-relations/ and SEC https://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar?CIK=svt&owner=exclude&action=getcompany ).

Value of Servotronics stock and profit/loss of OKC are two completely different things.

If OKC doesn't become profitable, Servotronics may decide to sell OKC assets. Like they did with Queen Cutlery Company back in 2012. If that happens, who knows what will become of OKC. For sure we don't want it to remain just as a brand, licensed to some Chinese company, right?

Um, fake news...

Never understood why is there so much ignorance these days. I guess people don't read beyond headlines or stock tickers.

Tis easy to Google-Fu to prove they doing OK I guessly.

You got to work on that Google-Fu some more...

To be honest I reach for the 5160 waaaay more than the 420. I just personally like how the 5160 steel responds to use and sharpening.

I’m contemplating keeping the 420 version on the knife strip in the kitchen as a heavy bone chopper. I’m just not as confident in the 420.

It’s unfortunate that OKC is not profitable. They are one of the few remaining makers that offer hard use knives with affordable prices. I love my SP5 and Woodsman.

It’s tough for any American manufacturer to turn a profit in the era of Wally’s and Big River. I don’t know that Ontario necessarily has to log a quarterly profit, being a contractor to the US military n all. If one unit is flat or logs a small loss but provides a corporate entity with access to greater markets and profits it may be that Ontario sticks around for awhile—but this is just a guess, and as such probably wasn’t worth writing(or reading, sorry!)

Servotronics subsidy "Consumer Products Group" (aka OKC) is not profitable since 2011 (source: http://servotronics.com/investor-relations/ and SEC https://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar?CIK=svt&owner=exclude&action=getcompany ).

Value of Servotronics stock and profit/loss of OKC are two completely different things.

If OKC doesn't become profitable, Servotronics may decide to sell OKC assets. Like they did with Queen Cutlery Company back in 2012. If that happens, who knows what will become of OKC. For sure we don't want it to remain just as a brand, licensed to some Chinese company, right?

You got to work on that Google-Fu some more...

So, I dug into this deeper, and I thank you for making me look closer... it's difficult as heck to get a clear picture of the OKC side of SVT, ... and, interestingly, their net revenues have increased: $7.5m in 2016, and $9m in 2017... but that's only part of the story, it seems their net income for the 6 month period which just ended for the CPG (june 2018) resulted in a loss of $634k, which is down from the 2017 6 month period last year, in which the CPG lost $523k

I hope they manage to get profitable very soon, they have the raw numbers to work with, and enjoy a positive reputation.

Last edited:
So, I dug into this deeper, and I thank you for making me look closer... it's difficult as heck to get a clear picture of the OKC side of SVT, ... and, interestingly, their net revenues have increased: $7.5m in 2016, and $9m in 2017... but that's only part of the story, it seems their net income for the 6 month period which just ended for the CPG (june 2018) resulted in a loss of $634k, which is down from the 2017 6 month period last year, in which the CPG lost $523k

I hope they manage to get profitable very soon, they have the raw numbers to work with, and enjoy a positive reputation.

You talkin a less than millions when under a great leader like W the profit kb billions setara

Back