The Woodsman now going 420 SS

I took a file and added some grip to the handle... much better now

How did you take the file to it if I may ask? Was it just rough and scuff scoring stuff? Do some file edge groovy groove making for making a grippering grip to grip?

Just asking before I modify a set of handles for the long term trip knife where tape would wear off.

How did you take the file to it if I may ask? Was it just rough and scuff scoring stuff? Do some file edge groovy groove making for making a grippering grip to grip?

Just asking before I modify a set of handles for the long term trip knife where tape would wear off.

Wondered if you got to use the 420 woodsman and what you thought of it performance-wise?

I like to test my knives for a while before giving an opinion
I hate the video reviews where the knife is unboxed an the reviewer talks about it without real world experience...

I ended up returning mine and got an SP-53. I fixed the way off bevel and put a convex edge in the process. I ground off a larger finger choil too. OKC 5160 is indestructable and Chops like a champ.
https://imgur.com/a/i6BtMgD

Did you get my email? I sent a response to yours but I’m not sure it went through cuz I sent it from my phone—it was about sharpening, if I recall. Looks good!

I ended up returning mine and got an SP-53. I fixed the way off bevel and put a convex edge in the process. I ground off a larger finger choil too. OKC 5160 is indestructable and Chops like a champ.
https://imgur.com/a/i6BtMgD

Good choice for a chopper. Its one of the best dang choppers around with its bolo and saber grind combo! Even if its not full sized tang (its still full tang called a rat tail one, but I never had any problems with all the SPs I owned with them, but my wanting a pummeling pommel for thumping and whumping is a personal issue of mine) it sure is a busteroyer of wooded ones, Ents fear it greatly!
I think if OKC changed their product codes would help cut down on sellers who never check the stock problems.
The 5160 woodsman and the SP-50 users have proven how tough they can be. For me the 420 SS version will fill some secondary lighter uses it looks like for now.

Haven't been around here much lately.
I find this thread a bit depressing. I was an early adopter/supporter of the Bushcraft line.

It would seem the counters of bean have made some adjustments. I can honestly say, I don't care for them.

My original bushcraft had real walnut scales and 5160 steel.
Now when I look it is down spec'ed, but the price remains the same. Sad.

I think one of the largest negatives with the Woodsman was the roll out. It was heavily hyped, and perhaps rightly so.
But then it fell on its face due to handle production issues. I think many potential buyers just lost interest in it and moved on.
I waited patiently, Ontario would chime in occasionaly, and say close, but not yet. Then it will be a few more weeks. Then a misfire, and back to the drawing board. Truthfully, I lost interest.

I hate to say it. But Ontario is beginning to lose me as a buyer/customer.

I like my Bushcraft well enough. And the specs still say 5160 on that knife.

But the Bushcraft Utility essentially the same knife with a one inch shorter blade lists $40.00 more. I don't get it. Plus it seems made of mystery steel, as I can't find it listed on Ontario's site.

Doesn't really matter. I'm not about to spend more for less. Shorter blade and laminated slabs do not equal more money in my book.

Perhaps I had too high hopes when Ontario debuted their Bushcraft line. I saw such potential. And now it seems to be dying on the vine.

I also understand business. Profit and Loss drives the bus. But heaven forbid, I see shades of SOG beginning to appear. The bus has to go where the bean counters steer it. But I don't have to be a passenger.

That was painful to write and even more painful to reread. But it is what it is.
LV

In my experience the 420hc works quite well
420hc isn’t the problem, it’s tge preconceived perception that people have to 420hc that is the problem

Ya, i have no problem with 420 ss on a kitchen knife or a smaller blade, but for a big fat chopper I'd go 5160. For me personally, i had it on backorder and was looking forward to it for a long time. When i didn't get the fit, finish, or steel i paid for i was unhappy with the situation. It's a different tool now which is ok if that's what you're looking for. I sent it back and got the sp53 which serves my hard chopping use ideally. My rat-1 is another example of an excellent OKC knife of excellent value. Hopefully Ontario manages to keep making their fat f*cking 5160 beatdown choppers with that fantastic heat treat for a long long time. I'll continue to be a customer for those.

While cleaning up my 5160 Woodsman today, I noticed a couple of rolls in the edge. I haven’t really “hard used” the knife other than baton one log and de-limb some branches.

It’s apparent that the thin edge is the culprit...which is to be expected.

That said, how will the 420 version respond from the same kind of use with the same geometry? Probably the same due to the low hardness.

I hammered on one of my 420 SS ones, it was a limited test on batoning some thing almost impossible to baton, the log won on that one but the knife once I pulled and bashed it out of the log in a very vengeful angry manner, still was sharp and straight. I was mostly testing the steel, but not in test it till it gets destroyed mode. As I was seeing if I could trust the steel to give my spare Woodsman in 420 SS HC to my little brother or sister, sis not there so brother got it. He uses knives and also cooks and seemed pleased with I told him it would make a good cleave/chopper and slicer in the kitchen, but not a good one for lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of slice/chopping due to weight. Other wise a good multi-tool camp knife for outings for water based travel it would be good for, or general use I guess also.

Log won because it was wet knotty pine so was the other one. The knife was FFG where the wood swelled also more around the blade. If it was a saber grind it would of gone through I bet. But the steel held up pretty good with no damage. I was doing steel on wood, as its what the knife was made for. One log was begining to crack but I think all them knots got swelled just pinching the log together. It looked like I left chain saw chips after I got done with a few batons after all that hard whacking. I wasn't going to give my brother a knife he would have to have his life count on if I knew it could fail pretty easily. The steel works, can it compete with 5160 in performance, probably not, but it should perform as the knife was intended.

Handle is some what of an issue, the 420 SS one I used is less slickery than my 5160 woodsman but I still told my little brother to score the handle with a file or use sports tape/wilsonwrap stuff. He does like the idea from a camp to kitchen knife.

I know i am resurrecting an old thread. I found it searching to see if the Bushcraft Woodsman had really gone to a 420 SS of some variety.
I agree wholeheartedly with whoever mentioned the knife likely would have sold, or will sell better with better scales. I picked my Bushcraft Woodsman (5160) over the RTAK II because of the thicker steel of the Woodsman. But I have never been wild about the handle material. I understand some want a wood or at least laminated handle, but I'm not one of them.

I keep looking at mine and think "I'd really love to fit a finger guard of 3/16 or 1/4 stainless." Possibly a guard that was minimal on the spine side, but longer on the edge side. Now, if I decide to try this, I will be working on a new one and leaving my 5160 one alone.

I know people have made nicer, tougher scales. Has anyone fitted a finger guard?

Last edited:
Back