The worst self-inflicted cut you've ever had

Ancient proverb: he who works with knives shall be cut

OK, I made that up. ;) Or no doubt somebody has said similar. But true in my experience.

What's the worst self-inflicted cut you've ever had with a blade?

Mine: A machete that was wickedly sharp up to the tip, went through the side of a cheap ill-fitting sheath, and the tip stabbed into the fleshy spot on the inside of my thumb. Stitches, numbness, pain, long time to heal. Returned to full function, but a long time after, still pain around the scar tissue. That stabbing type of injury was unusual. Most cuts came from activities around sharpening, or cutting something where you slip off the object, or in a couple cases, really annoying cuts :cool:involving opening and closing folders.

Last edited:
The worst self inflicted cut involving a knife happened when I was a kid. I was playing around with an old camping knife, the type that had the slip joint fork and spoon built into it. I was laying in bed cutting up an old shoe, while I was bearing down, the blade slipped off and sliced my thigh. It was a relatively deep clean slice.

I was a Meat cutter for 38 or more years,I saw a lot of injuries that required major stitching.
My worst one was totally my fault., I was a young buck at the time around 22 years old.
This grocery store was next to a beach,so a lot of girls/women came in just in there bikini"s.

So as per required customer care us boys always asked if we could help them :)
I was breaking down a hind of beef that was still on the hook,and a beauty came in wearing
a fish net style bikini. Needles to say I sliced my middle finger just about off on my left hand.
The blade on the breaking knife is 14" so it did a good job of cutting the tendons, ouch!

When i was like 11 i was carving a stick, and i couln't get this branch to cut off, so i tried to cut it by cutting to me instead of away from me.

That's a mistake you make once.

Went straight into the thumb of the hand holding the stick.
Didn't need stitches but had to get it glued or something.

I never sliced myself too bad, nothing a little crazy-glue didn't fix. My brother did when he was a kid carving a pumpkin... he needed multiple stitches around his wrist/thumb area, and to make it worse I had a plastic scythe (I was the grim reaper) and I took a swipe at him and he used his hand to block instinctively = blew out all the stitches!

Needless to say Ma was PISSED :mad:

I mentioned annoying cuts that involve opening/closing folders, like when you're flipping them. For some reason, these annoy me the most because they're stupid, they're 100% my fault, and totally unnecessary because I'm just playing with the knife not using it. :rolleyes:

Recent example: got a nice new Cold Steel Recon 1 folder, which is great and I reviewed it here on BF. Initially the Triad back lock made opening/closing kind of stiff. One time trying to flip it open, the blade didn't get enough momentum to overcome the resistance and fully open, so it came back down. Where, unfortunately, I had allowed the fingertip of my ring finger to slip just barely into the path of the blade. So that blade came down hard and sliced into my fingertip. Not a major one, but I can see that with this design and the heavy, sometimes hard-to-open blade, it's easy for this to happen if you're not super careful and conscious of your grip when flipping it open, as well as closed.

FullSizeRender.jpg I know it was done with a Kershaw Link, but I have no clue how the hell I managed this one.
It was deep, but not too bad. I can say that this is one of the most annoying spots to slice yourself!
Joe

Not mine but my wife's, when we were newly married about 17 years ago we got into a HUGE argument. She actually went to pull one of my swords on me (she was crazy before medication) and I grabbed the scapparb and her hand was loose enough that it slid over the guard and down the blade and nearly took her pinky and ring finger off. WOW it scared me to death. A couple of years later she went to throw a route 44 sonic drink at me while o was driving and I instinctively stuck my hand up and the drink went all over her lol. The good news is we havnt had so much as an argument in probably 7 years. We got it out of our systems early I guess lol

Was camping one time with a Cold Steel ATC Kukri that was new to me at the time.

Went out to grab some firewood for the evening, and came across this fallen tree, perfect for firewood. Well, I figured the wood was going to need a hefty swing to get through, so I hauled back and gave 'er hell.

Kukri went straight through the tree, straight through my pants, and straight through the flesh... coming to rest on the tibia before I could halt the swing.

Really should have started slower on that one. Really put a damper on the evening of drinking I had planned.

Kukri went straight through the tree, straight through my pants, and straight through the flesh... coming to rest on the tibia before I could halt the swing.

OK, that's nasty. I inflicted a cut on somebody else once as a kid. Not quite that bad but in the same ballpark. I was 8 years old, walking the soybean fields for my uncle, and using corn knives (basically a light machete) to chop weeds. The soybeans if irrigated can get quite tall. There was this older kid that was bullying us younger kids. One thing he'd do was when he got to the end of field ahead of the rest, he'd sneak up to your row, and leap out into your row unexpectedly to try to scare you. Not real bright, ya know, to surprise people when they are swinging 18" blades around, but that was this guy. He leaped out into my row just as I was swinging my knife at some nettles, hit him right in the arm, went almost to the bone. 27 stitches if I recall, and a huge scar on his arm. Lucky he didn't have permanent damage, and also that his parents didn't sue mine. Back then people had a LITTLE more common sense, they realized he had caused it. The only good unintended side effect that came out of it all was he quit trying to bully me. ;)

While closing my ZT 0566 the blade came down on the tip of my thumb. I actually heard the blade slicing through. I looked down like what was that? Only to see blood pouring out the tip of my thumb. The tip of my thumb was flat for like two weeks until the skin and flesh grew back.
Edit - I forgot about when I had my Buck bayonet attached to my Mossberg 590A1. The shotgun started to fall over, so I grabbed for it, and put the tip of the bayonet through my right palm. A quick ride to the hospital, and a dozen stitches later, and I was good as new. :thumbsup:

My father in law knew a gun shop that sharpened knives on a belt sander and had them do a Buck 110 for me. .It had very good snap and in the car I was closing it and left the very tip of the ring finger on my right hand hang too far and when it snapped shut it took off the very tip of my finger...It shaved off more than 1/8" and left a raw spot almost as big as a dime. Every time I picked up something or touched anything for weeks it hurt. That was over 30 years ago and to this day I'm extra carful when I close any folder.

My father in law knew a gun shop that sharpened knives on a belt sander and had them do a Buck 110 for me. .It had very good snap and in the car I was closing it and left the very tip of the ring finger on my right hand hang too far and when it snapped shut it took off the very tip of my finger...It shaved off more than 1/8" and left a raw spot almost as big as a dime. Every time I picked up something or touched anything for weeks it hurt. That was over 30 years ago and to this day I'm extra carful when I close any folder.

Yep, that is similar to the type of thing I had with the CS Recon coming down on a fingertip. It's SO easy to get careless with your grip and get a finger in the path of the blade.

Not mine but my wife's, when we were newly married about 17 years ago we got into a HUGE argument. She actually went to pull one of my swords on me (she was crazy before medication) and I grabbed the scapparb and her hand was loose enough that it slid over the guard and down the blade and nearly took her pinky and ring finger off. WOW it scared me to death. A couple of years later she went to throw a route 44 sonic drink at me while o was driving and I instinctively stuck my hand up and the drink went all over her lol. The good news is we havnt had so much as an argument in probably 7 years. We got it out of our systems early I guess lol

This is exactly why I'm not married.

When I was a kid, I was into unique ninja-like knives. Like throwing stars where the blades folded out, samurai swords, etc. One day, I bought a knife with four blades. Yes, four! Two blades came out at the top of the handle, and two at the bottom. Then in the middle of the handle was a button that made the handle split into two. So you could go from one crazy four-bladed knife to now a two handed death weapon. :D

Anyway, I was being stupid and goofing around with it. I tried to quickly split the knife in two and get into an “attack” position. (Again, I was pretty young...)
Only problem was when I did so I didn’t press the button down all the way so the handle didn’t come apart when I tried pulling. Therefore, my left hand slid up the handle and right along the blade.

I looked down at my hand, and there was a gaping slash on the “tendon/fleshy” part between my index finger and my thumb. Took a lot of bandages and glue to keep from needing stitches but it worked. Luckily, the actual tendon wasn’t cut.
I guess I should have listened to my parents when they said, “Don’t play with knives.” :p

*I found a picture of it online*
Untitled by Blake Hirschmugl, on Flickr

Famous last words. And your folks were right. But dang, it's just SO fun I can't help myself. Even as a 50+ year-old, playing with knives is a lotta fun. o_O
Life long hobby, I suppose.:cool:

Ironically, this happened about 25 minutes before I was flipping my zippo lighter around and accidentally flung it out of my hands onto a pile of tissue paper. It all went up in flames, but luckily it was tissue paper so it all just burnt up within seconds and nothing else was damaged. Why my parents continued to let me live there, I'll never know...:confused:

Last May (2016) in the kitchen with a friggin cheap paring knife (probably no more than $10) but sharp and very pointy. I was trying to use the potty edge to take out the avocado seed while the halved avocado was in the farm of my hand! I was not paying attention so the next thing I noticed the knife slipped and blood was shooting out of my left index finger (right handed). I knew immediately that the gash I was looking at was not going to heal up by doing home remedies and stitches were needed at the very least. Trip to ER on a Saturday and then found out that I had severed the left side V-shaped tendon and it was sliced off cleanly. I was lucky I didn't lop off my finger which would have probably been the case with a more stout knife!

Was sent to a hand surgeon a week later after I was all stitched up and they recommended surgery because of possible fear of neuroma later on. The surgeon said that they could not do much about the severed tendon and I needed to be in a cast for up to 4 months because of the need for nerve graft as I had badly damaged nerves. 2-3 weeks in the cast was enough for me, so I said fark it as I didn't want to be afflicted for 3 more months with that darn cast (grafted nerves are too fragile and susceptible to tearing) if they couldn't fix my tendon.

Now I have gained most of range of motion back but the left side of my left index has very little tactile feelings above the knuckle. Cold weather bothers it too but it has made me a lot more alert about and weary of my much, much, much sharper and lethal knives!

P.S. The ER doc. told me that self inflicted stabbing over avocados was quite a common occurrence!!!

Back