The worst self-inflicted cut you've ever had

Last May (2016) in the kitchen with a friggin cheap paring knife (probably no more than $10) but sharp and very pointy. I was trying to use the potty edge to take out the avocado seed while the halved avocado was in the farm of my hand! I was not paying attention so the next thing I noticed the knife slipped and blood was shooting out of my left index finger (right handed). I knew immediately that the gash I was looking at was not going to heal up by doing home remedies and stitches were needed at the very least. Trip to ER on a Saturday and then found out that I had severed the left side V-shaped tendon and it was sliced off cleanly. I was lucky I didn't lop off my finger which would have probably been the case with a more stout knife!

Was sent to a hand surgeon a week later after I was all stitched up and they recommended surgery because of possible fear of neuroma later on. The surgeon said that they could not do much about the severed tendon and I needed to be in a cast for up to 4 months because of the need for nerve graft as I had badly damaged nerves. 2-3 weeks in the cast was enough for me, so I said fark it as I didn't want to be afflicted for 3 more months with that darn cast (grafted nerves are too fragile and susceptible to tearing) if they couldn't fix my tendon.

Now I have gained most of range of motion back but the left side of my left index has very little tactile feelings above the knuckle. Cold weather bothers it too but it has made me a lot more alert about and weary of my much, much, much sharper and lethal knives!

P.S. The ER doc. told me that self inflicted stabbing over avocados was quite a common occurrence!!!
Serves you right for trying to eat healthy. :p

14jorip.jpg

Dont try and make smore sticks for your nephew with a rat 7 and an hour of sleep....sorry for the underwears.....

In my younger (and foolish) days , I tried to open a can of compound with a SAK. It of course closed on my finger severing some nerves and that finger still has a small bump and numb patch 23 years later.

Then 6 years later I was camping and after a few drinks by the fire , I wanted to make a wooden stake out of a small branch (no idea why). Needless to say I shaved a chunk of my left hand pointer off. The dried blood on my Buck 119 the next morning did look pretty cool though. Still not worth it.

The worst self-inflicted cut you've ever had
Debatable . . . hmmmm the one that freaked me the most . . . well not freaked . . . I just had to sit there a minute and think "now what the hell am I supposed to do ?".
was :
I was like five or six. I was sitting on a bucket or some such. I was cutting card board (no not an edge durability test) I was actually making something. I had an Exact-O knife in my hand and the cardboard over my lap. Ran off the end of the cardboard and stuck the blade to the "hilt", as it were, in my thigh.

I'm sitting there like . . . OK . . . that's different . . . now what do I do ?
I pulled it out.
Plastered some bandaids on it. Still can see the scar.
I learned to pay more attention to where the blade will end up while swinging it around madly.
Well not madly but you get the idea.

Then there was that time with the large Japanese kitchen knife that I was going to give for a wedding present but just had to try it out first. Dang ! ! ! ! Those things come from the makers SHARP ! ! ! They cut GOOD too ! ! ! !

I cut my right index finger to the bone at the first joint while trying to add a lanyard to a sheathed fixed blade.

Blood everywhere and 4 or 5 stitches.

I have no idea why I did something so stupid.

It's still numb, and it feels like I'm being shocked if something hits my finger just right.

Managed to get myself in 2015 with a Cold Steel Eland while being careless. It closed -through- my thumb. Luckily, after tying off the thumb and bandaging it with some super glue (that's the residue you see in the first picture - that picture was taken in between applications of glue), it came back together alright. The scar is barely visible now. That second picture is from about a month later.

37417758315_3f9c8edaf7_o.jpg

37417758285_587990604c_o.jpg

When I first got my zt 0562 I went to close it not realizing how fast it would close. Well my thumb was in the way and it came down right on my thumb knuckle. Just the weight of the blade coming down with no slicing motion left a deep cut. The pain for days felt like someone tried to chop my thumb off. I could barely bend it. Im guessing in went to the bone.

Its healed now but interesting story. I had (now sold) a Spyderco Manix 2 in S110V fresh of the Wicked Edge mirror polish. Sitting on my couch watch TV with a blanket over me. Fondling with it opening/closing then my phone rang and put knife down on blanket covering me. After the conversation was over i had forgotten the knife was on my lap. Half hour or so later got up and the knife just flew tru my arm and cut me long and deep. The cut is on my forearm its still there after 6 months. Its my first big scar. Funny thing same knife when i was flicking it open and close the one time i held my pinky too close to the blade closing position and viola. A little pinky flesh flew away.
9AE88D70-D202-4909-813E-2194A41A0A9A.jpeg

This is exactly why I'm not married.
LMAO:D
I said that same thing about 20yrs ago.
Been married 19 yrs now. :D
Think it, but don't say it. :p

I don't have any good cut myself stories.
Took off the tip of my thumb with a table saw once. Shot a framing nail 3/4 of the way in my calf and countless trim nails in my fingers.

Im still pretty new so Ive got a whole lifetime of cuts to live though... I was opening a package with my minigrip when the knife slipped and being razor sharp cut my ring finger on the knuckle down to the bone. Only about half an inch long so I applied first aid to stop the bleeding and went about my day. It bleed a lot I definatly hit a vein! Since the blood was brick red and flowing in a constant stream. Didnt stop me from buying a knife the next week.:D

I cut into the side of my thumb so deep that that my fingernail stopped the blade from going deeper.

Two come to mind.

First was in '99 when I worked the warehouse at a Service Merchandise. I was using a box cutter on some packaging material and pulled the cutter right into the web of my off hand. Pulled the blade out and covered with pressure for a moment to get my composure, then I gotta take a look. As soon as I release my hand a spurt of arterial spray goes from about waist high to over my shoulder. I jump in the truck with my manager and off we go to get 7 stitches, 3 inside 4 outside.
IMG_5512.JPG
Secondly was about 10 years ago, I was working on a truck and had to trim an air line(hard plastic). I grabbed the line and stupidly began to cut it single handed (with my Spyderco Endura) in basically a "thumbs up" grip but the line was brittle and cracked rather than cut. That cut(extremely clean cut) started at my thumbprint and stopped halfway through my fingernail, butterflying my thumb like a jumbo shrimp. No stitches this go round, I went with 4 butterfly bandages, changing them weekly for about 4-5 weeks.
IMG_5517.JPG

Last edited:
I dropped a PM2 onto my right big toe from a distance of about 3-4 feet... It fell tip down through the side of my toe, proceeded to fall and lacerate a channel into my toe....

My bathroom looked like somebody committed a murder in it. One trip to the ER, 3 hours later, two mixed emotion parents, lots of blood, and a bill I got to go home.

I could hear all the employees of the hospital and the trauma nurses spreading my story like wild fire.

I've also had the blade of a Benchmade just sharpened land a few millimeters into my middle finger while playing with it. The blade was swinging into the closed position, and my finger got in the way of the blade and stopped it in it's track but I ended up with a large and deep laceration.

Went to grab something on my desk and had a Benchmade Freek blade in a KME clamp, long story short I pushed my palm into the tip of the blade, dragged it a good 3/4s of an inch and a few mms deep before I even noticed what I had done.

Was carving an endless chain with my Boker stockman, which had probably dulled a bit (should have stopped to hone it), and slipped and cut across my middle and index fingers, the latter right through the nail. Still have the Boker, the chain and the scars.

Back