The worst self-inflicted cut you've ever had

If nail's and nail guns count I had a doozy lol. Literally shot a nail all the way through my middle finger once while doing some framing. Funny thing was it didn't hurt at all. They X-Ray is Cool as hell!! I wasn't going to go to the doctor but I couldn't get the damn nail out even with pliers. Also when I was six my older brother pushed me down and I fell on a board with a nail in it. The nail literally went all the way through my nose (I had a nose piercing before they were cool) went to the ER and they poured iodine on it and put a Bandaid on both sides. pops was PISSED! I remember him cussing the whole ride home $250 F'ing dollars for a GD bandaid. Highway robbry those sons a bitches lmao

I cut the tip off of my middle finger on my off hand at Boy Scout camp whittling. It took off the end of the fingernail with it. It was hanging by a flap. They flopped it back on, soaked it in iodine and glued it back together with those tape strip things. That was thirty years ago and the scar is pretty much gone now. The tip was numb for quite a few years but seems normal now.

I put a 1/16 inch drill bit through my index finger of my left hand. It went in the pad and punched out through the nail. Luckily I pulled it out fast while the bit was still spinning fast. I have hurt myself much worse than that but for some reason that one hit me hard. It hurt so bad for a second that I got jello legs. I had to sit down because I thought I was gonna pass out.

Last edited:
DYgraY.jpg

f8fXeA.jpg

2MXJbh.jpg

aU1mMF.jpg

z90P3z.jpg

dlngPz.jpg

Managed to get myself in 2015 with a Cold Steel Eland while being careless. It closed -through- my thumb. Luckily, after tying off the thumb and bandaging it with some super glue (that's the residue you see in the first picture - that picture was taken in between applications of glue), it came back together alright. The scar is barely visible now. That second picture is from about a month later.

37417758315_3f9c8edaf7_o.jpg

37417758285_587990604c_o.jpg

Oucheroo! Good healing factor, sir. My worst mishap was a thumb cut courtesy of an Eland as well. I thought it was bad at the time but it was n-n-n-nowhere as bad as that!

Speaking of knives and injuries, I gotta share an experience which hipped me to a wise adage that I had not yet heard before:

I narrowly avoided serious trouble recently through pure dumb luck. I was admiring my buddies' new Ken Onion Leek when it slipped through my buttery fingers. I panicked as I saw it nosedive to the cement so I snatched it out of the air- like a moron. I wasn't cut and I'm lucky I can still count to five on that hand. Anyway, my buddy, a former sous chef, told me something I'll try to remember next time: "A falling knife has no handle."

Last edited:
I was playing w/ a brand new Gerber Gator when I was in my early 20's. The thing closed on my right middle finger. Exactly between the top joint. Next thing I know the end of my my finger is hanging off the my hand by some skin & tendon and wouldn't move. Emergency reconstruction surgery and a metal rod in my finger for a couple months got me back together. Still can't straighten my whole finger out, but at least it's there.

I narrowly avoided serious trouble recently through pure dumb luck. I was admiring my buddies' new Ken Onion Leek when it slipped through my buttery fingers. I panicked as I saw it nosedive to the cement so I snatched it out of the air- like a moron. I wasn't cut and I'm lucky I can still count to five on that hand. Anyway, my buddy, a former sous chef, told me something I'll try to remember next time: "A falling knife has no handle."

Yup. When a knife falls, it's time to do the knife happy dance (get your feet out of the way).

Nothing ever really bad. I'm extra careful when using my knives, the few times I've cut myself was from flipping them. The worst was about a quarter of a centimeter into the very tip of my finger. Bit more blood then I'm used to, and it was tender for a few days, but not bad at all. And I hope I never have to deal with some of the things that have already been posted :D !

I'll also post some storytelling pics (long post). These have been frequent but not severe, fortunately. From the last 3 years, in order of severity

P7YdC5g.jpg

ehmgAWR.jpg

UqGtXXr.jpg

8n0lBPY.jpg

bWbwnew.jpg

9I29yI1.jpg

ItTJdbX.jpg

D8m02Yc.jpg

7OSCaaa.jpg

I seldom really cut myself. Mostly they are nicks that bleed a bit. But I had two occasions where I got cut more than a scratch and they bled like crazy. (1) Playing with a CRKT Ringed Razel in the car while driving just after I bought it.... knife, I need to cut something..... I did, but I forgot about the other sharpened edge. I had to stop to driving to slow the bleeding down. (2) Looking at a SGB Puma knife in a store (Sportsman Warehouse)..... not paying attention and I fumbled the knife and was dropping it. That is a mortal sin to me especially in a store.... caught the knife... mistake. Lots of blood. Lots. I bought it because it cut me.

If nail's and nail guns count I had a doozy lol. Literally shot a nail all the way through my middle finger once while doing some framing. Funny thing was it didn't hurt at all. They X-Ray is Cool as hell!! I wasn't going to go to the doctor but I couldn't get the damn nail out even with pliers. Also when I was six my older brother pushed me down and I fell on a board with a nail in it. The nail literally went all the way through my nose (I had a nose piercing before they were cool) went to the ER and they poured iodine on it and put a Bandaid on both sides. pops was PISSED! I remember him cussing the whole ride home $250 F'ing dollars for a GD bandaid. Highway robbry those sons a bitches lmao
My hospital bill was like $350. I sat there for 3 hours to have a guy make one joke and walk away... They didn't even bother cleaning it and bandaging it. All that for $350 when I could do the same at home for $0.

I had a double edged 6" dagger type knife and a whole bunch of vodka. I needed a screwdriver to assemble a fan, couldn't find one so I used the knife instead. Big mistake, it slipped and went through my wrist. In one side and out the other, I severed all the tendons that went to my thumb. After the microsurgery it took about 10-12 months to completely heal. That's my story.

The one that I remember most that was totally my fault;

My friend used my freshly sharpened Chef's knife to spread butter on his toast. I was livid! "You do not use sharp knives to spread butter! I have a whole drawer full of butter knives!"

So now I am mad. I start cleaning the butter off in the sink. I am stupidly mad so I am rushing and end up running the tip of my right middle finger down the edge at the tip and lay it wide open. It was open like a book.

Lesson learned, don't clean knives when you're angry!

Last edited:
I cut my right index finger to the bone at the first joint while trying to add a lanyard to a sheathed fixed blade.

Blood everywhere and 4 or 5 stitches.

I have no idea why I did something so stupid.

It's still numb, and it feels like I'm being shocked if something hits my finger just right.

How did you manage to cut yourself with a sheathed fixed blade? o_O

Lesson learned, don't clean knives when you're angry!

Totally, really I've learned for myself, don't even handle knives extensively when you're upset or distracted at all. Same thing with firearms. I've gotten a few (fortunately minor) cuts that occurred during things like sharpening or cleaning when I was upset about something at work or elsewhere, mind wanders, and voila! New cut.

Back