Theft of HI Christmas Katana

I agree with all of you..& I'm sure Ed will agree...
I believe that what you do in life, whether it be good or BAD, will come back to you THREEFOLD.....
So I am VERY sure this person will be coming into the same (having someone do on to him as he has done to others) in his life very soon.

My thoughts are with You Ms. Yangdu, that you get all the help and support you deserve!

Blessed Be!
Willow

Didn't see it mentioned yet, but if it was, sorry!

Every postal region has a Postal Inspector assigned to it... they are the OLDEST Law Enforcement Agency in the US, and as the sword went through the mail, it shouldn't be too hard to get them involved!

Smoke your way...

Sad to hear this Auntie Yangdu,
This is a real knucklehead to be sure. I'd have much stronger language, yet this is a special place to me and mine.
I wonder if this person realizes how much better this WILL turn out if they sent the sword back!
The authorities are informed, the sword is SO VERY distinctive that no matter where they go it WILL BE RECOGNIZED!
I've always found that a good kick in the behind always helps karma along.

Mark:mad:

ps; I've never used the mad smileys before. I apologize to my forum friends and acquaintances for the angry faces.

Well Hell!:thumbdn: :mad: On the other hand with HI's open shipping policy I'm surprised some low life bastard hasn't done something such as this before.:rolleyes: :thumbdn: :mad:

I was thinking about this today, and one thing about it has been really bugging me, so I better just write it here so I can stop thinking about it for a while.

There were at least 4 parties involved with this transaction: Himalayan Imports, VISA, the person whose credit card was stolen, and the thief.

Obviously, it's almost all the thief's fault. For the sake of easy numbers, lets say it's 98% their fault.
Then lets say it's 1% the fault of the person whose credit card was stolen. It's their responsibility to keep their credit card info secure, and report the card as stolen if something happens.
Lets also say it's 1% the fault of VISA, because this is what they do, it's supposed to be secure, they have all kinds of measures in place to detect and stop this kind of thing, and they originally ok'd the transaction, which tells Himalayan Imports that it's ok to ship the sword because they've been paid.
I'd say it's 0% Himalayan Imports fault, because they did everything right, it isn't their responsibility to make sure the credit card isn't stolen, and there's nothing they could have done differently to prevent this incident from happening.

So how is it that Himalayan Imports, the only party that's 0% responsible for the transaction made with a stolen credit card, got stuck with the bill? It doesn't make any sense to me, and I don't see how this is right.

Say a thief steals $600 cash from somebody, then walks into a brick & mortar store and purchases a sword in cash. Can the person whose $600 cash was stolen go to the store and take their money back? I sure hope not... I'd think that would be between the person who was robbed, the thief, and the police.

Hi Auntie Yangdu,
I just want to say that I agree with all that has been said here in Support of You and HI.
Also, I am really happy to know that this incident will not affect You and Your Kind ways of dealing and working with those of US here in the Family that do Trust and Respect You and the Legacy that You and Uncle Bill started 20 + Years ago.

Thank-You, Yangdu for Still Trusting us Family Members.

Ed

PS: Please forgive me if I am being too "Forward" in using the Term of Respect of "Auntie".
I mean only the Best by the use of that term.

"Some people regard private enterprise as a predatory tiger to be shot. Others look on it as a cow they can milk. Not enough people see it as a healthy horse, pulling a sturdy wagon." Winston Churchill

Lets all keep our eyes peeled on eBay & craigslist. I wonder.... can we send a pic of the sword to eBay & ask them to contact HI if it shows up for sale? There's only one (1) sword like that....

Very Good ideas, UD... Sort of a "AEB"
All Eyes Bulletin!!
I guess if anybody sees anything related to the theft.... what report it here??

Very Good ideas, UD... Sort of a "AEB"
All Eyes Bulletin!!
I guess if anybody sees anything related to the theft.... what report it here??
All good ideas...the more eyes on watch the better.
Report it to Yangdu as soon as it's noticed.
Then maybe post here.

Being in business for 20 something years this is the first time the theft got away with free Sword. Now the HI representative and police are working on this case. Thank you all for your kind suggestions.
I hope the very person responsible for the theft could be brought to justice :cool: I know it hurts when people steal from you :( I have an experience whereby a smith from Bingham, Maine received my payment (i.e. Paypal) and never send me my order till now! He just kept quite and never reply my reminder emails! Luckily the amount involved in my case was about $135.00 only. The worst part is the fact that it isn't an interstate theft case but an international theft case :grumpy:

BTW, is it possible for Aunt Yangdu to get back her Katana?

Mohd.

Yangdu,

I am so sorry to hear this. That someone would stoop so low to defraud a person who has done so much good drives me nuts.

If you haven't done so already I would urge you to post the particulars of this transaction right here on the Good, Bad and Ugly forum of Bladeforums. At least let the rest of the knife buying public know what to expect if they ever have a chance to deal with this individual again.

Take care and I hope it all works out in the end.

Norm

I'm saddened and shocked to hear about this as well. I have to agree with Norm on this one. This guy's personal info and a detailed account of the situation really should be posted in GB&U.

What a gorgeous heirloom quality piece to be stolen:(

The particulars of this incident have been posted on another knife-related forum as well. We're getting the word out for you, Yangdu! I'm so sorry that this happened to you.

What a horrid act. I'm sorry to hear of it. I'll watch for the sword to be sold.

Yangdu, I am sorry to learn of this event. I hope that the authorities are able to get to the bottom of it soon. I also hope justice is ultimately served and that this whole affair becomes a distant memory.

Eric

Any forumites in the area who can check out whether address is multiple occupancy or down to one family or man?

If its the later , a solution should be found easily enough, i would hope? .;)

Hope it gets sorted Yangdu.

Spiral

Yangdu:

My suggestions for you as a street level bacon bits.

Internet fraud (buyer or seller ) is a significant problem. Because this is an interstate issue, you can contact the FBI to file a fraud report via their website (www.fbi.gov). Once the FBI receives the report, it is forwarded to the agency at which the fraud occurred. In yoru case, it would be either Reno PD or your county as that was where the deal was transacted, not where receipt of the item was. Because it was a credit card versus the use of a USPS MO, the Postal Inspectors won't touch it - yet.

Sadly, this is one area that business insurers are getting hammered in.

You can also file a fraud report with your local LE agency. The value of the sword plus the act of commiting internet fraud (provided your state has those sorts of laws on the books) would probably place it into either a gross misdemeanor or low level felony, depending on the state level for value and criminal act. If an agency is interested and the item is readily identifiable, action can happen. Here is an example (and I've done a few of these before):

You contact Reno PD and file the report. The report moves to the detectives, likely those assigned to fraud cases. The detective processes the case and contacts his/her peers in Florida at the receiving jurisdiction. Information is passed. The detectives there open their assist case and being the hunt, provided the desire is there (some agencies may look at this as a low priority). Pawn slips are pulled and pawn detectives keep an eye out for an unusual sword being pawned (most reputable pawn shops are registering their pawns on-line or have state laws requiring real ID to pawn an item). If the sword is found, back trace to the receiver and squeeze them for receiving fraudulently obtained merchandise. Reno PD files charges for fraud although the likely hood of the suspect(s) even coming to Reno to face charges is slim to unlikely (again, the value of the sword).

But here's an odd one for you. I had a case in which a subject received an item but decided to falsely claim his card had been stolen, hanging on to the merchandise he claimed he didn't get. The match of his signature to what UPS captured helped to break him and roll him for more than just this event.

Anyway, those are my suggestions. By no means should you just let it go. The receiver of the item is unlikely a newbee at this and probably has priors.

The best bet in this case is pursuing the Postal fraud charge.

Sadly most police departments will do little if anything if the item value is under $1000.

But since the item was shipped via USPS it is a Federal offense. Which also means a hopefully higher penalty for the thief.

Back