Thick tip on chef knife?

I'm getting back into making knives after a long break. My wife has never seen me make one, so now she wants a good o kitchen knife. The bad part is, I've seen here wield one. I was wondering if anyone has done a thicker tip with a thin edge to handle the abuse. The blade steels I have to work with are 154cm and ats34. Thanks in advance.

Yeah, close to what I'm thinking of. I would probably put an edge on the tip though.

Somehow I would be blamed for breaking the tip or not making the knife strong enough.

Maybe make her a santoku. The tip breaks it is easy as pie to remake it. The knife just gets shorter rather than on a stabby chef to reform the tip, adjust the geometry, and thin the blade.

With a Santoku start a new descending spot and reform the front. She wants thinner make a longer shallow decent, thicker make it steep and short.

I'm not a big santoku fan for use, but they fix easy.

Jim

I would still grind a thin tip...then it will end up breaking off exactly where it is thick enough, then just resharpen :)
LOL :thumbsup: A Santuko would be an excellent choice for the wifey... I️ sell lots of those to women and as gifts for.. Women almost always like shorter, lighter less aggressive looking knives! .... thier mindset is totally different! .....We want a pointy knife we can stab & kill with!!.. they just want to make dinner! .....A 5-7” Santuko is always well received by the ladies:thumbsup:

My wife must be one of the "off" ones. I regularly see her trying to take the center out of a tomato with the biggest chef knife we have because then she can go right to cutting the tomato. I think what I really need is a knife with a tip the same radius as a cookie sheet or baking pan.

The way I️ make a Santuko or K tip, they work on the center of toms just fine. .. Just roll down the top at an angle that will give you enough tip for that job. What Most people like about Santukos is they are really designed for board work with just a little belly in the edge area.

That would do it. Maybe a little smaller diameter tip would be great. I'm not sure I could get her to admit she needs one ;-)

These are what I have been working on. Honestly I was going to round out the tip on the traditional up swept blade. These are my first tries at some kitchen blades. the small ones are for my kids so they can stop asking me for one. at age 7 and 5 they can handle these 3+ inch blades pretty good already.

Last edited:
Back