Thickness of welt... (WIP) All done, bunch of pictures.

The threads look pretty fine, I'd use some blue loc-tite, or like Paul Long, some jb weld. I don't think it's gonna be a problem. If it's for you I wouldn't worry about it, if it's a sale I'd do the same as all of my work, warrant it. You'll get more threads in the stud if you hold it with a pair of pliers when you screw down the back, just be sure to tape the jaws.

How did you remove leather from the back? Any reason why you cannot remove a little more? The hardware should be designed to work in the thickness that it fits in, if that makes sense. Stability should be fine on a front panel like that even if you thin it, the liner will add more stability. Make the hole and slit in the strap (without being loose) large enough to accommodate the stud fairly easily, and but keep in mind that it'll get a little looser over time.

You are doing a very nice job!

Thank you!

I didn't have a better tool for removing the leather than my regular utility knife, so I used that one. It went fine, I am a little afraid of using it to dig any deeper. It might work though, if I'm careful.

I was thinking if maybe a safer way of removing the leather off the back would be to use the dremel to grind the leather off, for an example using one of these two accessories. Would that work you think, or would the leather just burn?:

Dremel%20Aluminum%20Oxide%20Grinding%20Stone%208193%20(EN)%20r19972v15.jpg

Dremel%20Rotary%20Tool%20Bit%20Grinding%20Stones%20-%20Silicon%20Carbide,%2085422%20%28EN%29%20r19841v15.jpg

It'll work if you go slow enough. You would need an adjustable speed Dremel. Better yet would be the 1/2" sanding drum for the Dremel.

It'll work if you go slow enough. You would need an adjustable speed Dremel. Better yet would be the 1/2" sanding drum for the Dremel.
I used a sanding drum before I got the French edger. :)

You could probably add just a touch of water to the grain side (not much because you don't want the stud sinking into the skin side) so that it will compress a little as you tighten it. I haven't done this with a stud, but I have compressed leather for making washer handles for ferro rods. 8/9oz will compress pretty thin and the leather becomes very tough. Might be just the ticket if done carefully.

Man, this has taken waay too long, but now it's finally starting to get done. I guess I'll have to try to pick up some speed and routine for my next projects :). Finding a better workplace than my balcony might also help. I've learned a lot in the process though. I just made the final glueing to put the full sheath together.

Next is to redrill the stitch holes all the way through to the back (I drilled them only on the front before), put a stitch groove on the back, do the stitching, belt sand the sides smooth, even and free from glue, round off the edges and slick up the sides and edges with a piece of wood. Then I'm pretty much done :). After that, it's time to put a cocobolo handle on that blade.

DSC_0057_zpsja5ocm6x.jpg

DSC_0058_zpsibbzffna.jpg

DSC_0059_zpsvypvz91z.jpg

It's hard to make out on this picture, but I'm pretty pleased with how the top of the sheath came out.

DSC_0060_zps7jqxovmd.jpg

looks good so far! I'd drill the holes first and then play connect the dots with the stitch groover though

If the holes on the back pucker out use something to push them flat before using the groover. A simple step, but it helps if you didn't already know.

Ok, so the sheath is done. I might make a few adjustments here and there to slightly improve the finish, but personally I kinda like it the way it is now. The stitching came out slightly crooked on the back unfortunately, which I must fix for the next sheath, but it doesn't affect function. All in all, I'm pretty happy. I've written down a long list of mistakes I've made which I will think of next time. The stitching turned out a fairly painful ordeal, since I only had a Leatherman Skeletool to pull through the needles and the fit of the needles was pretty tight with the 0.8 mm holes. I have to get better needles too. I bought some leather needles first, but they turned out way too thick. So what I did was take a pair of thin, regular sewing needles and grind off the tip to make them less pointy. It turned out all right though.
Next is making the handle. :)

Nice work. Your knife is my favorite size and style of knife. Carried one for years when I shot blackpowder. Very nice sheath.

Very nicework. Stitching looks pretty darn good if ya ask me.

Looks good!
I wouldn't complain about your stitchin at all. I've seen (and done) worse.

Looks awesome! There's nothing wrong with the stitching that I can see on my phone.

What kind of leather (weight) did you use for the lining? I have only used it on a handful of sheaths, but I really like 1-2oz veg tanned pigskin. It's pretty stretchy if you need to couture around curves and bends and takes dye very nicely. Does add a little traction on the inside of the sheath which can be good or bad, just something to keep in mind.

I really do like your effort. Please keep us posted on your further work.

Looks awesome! There's nothing wrong with the stitching that I can see on my phone.

What kind of leather (weight) did you use for the lining? I have only used it on a handful of sheaths, but I really like 1-2oz veg tanned pigskin. It's pretty stretchy if you need to couture around curves and bends and takes dye very nicely. Does add a little traction on the inside of the sheath which can be good or bad, just something to keep in mind.

I really do like your effort. Please keep us posted on your further work.

I'm not sure about the weight, I bought it directly from a saddlemaker I know. It's suede and it's about 1.6 mm thick. It does add some traction, but I kinda like it. It holds the knife in there when you don't want it to fall out.

Back