Thin/Cut/Shorten Ferrocerium Rod?

I have a 1/4" ferrecorium rod and I want it be about 1/8", making the rod skinnier. How can I do this?
I will also need to cut them into pieces.

I have some hand saws and a dremel, any use for them?
Or anyone know where to get cheap 4mm rods?

You can cut them with out much trouble but if you want one in a smaller diameter I would just buy it. Google "firesteel" or use the one you have a lot:D

^I agree. Cutting isn't bad with a hacksaw, as ferrocerium is pretty soft. Expect sparks, but going slow will keep them to a minimum. Drilling or turning is more of a nightmare because there are WAY more sparks. 1/8" rods are available at a variety of places that forum rules prevent me from naming. Google 'blank fire steel' or 'blank ferro rod' or whatever and you will find a bunch of places that sell them cheap (but good).

- Chris

Ditto, trimming one down from 1/4 to 1/8th, is way more effort than it's worth considering how cheap you can buy a smaller one.

Agree with what was said but if you need ASAP and have a belt sander I'd put gloves on and sand it down. Should be a fun spark show!

Or, just work wet? of course if you build up a pile of damp shavings and hit that with a spark, life could get interesting.....

Back