Things non knife people say

So today my my step had friends over. I am in my room getting ready to go camping tomorrow and I am inspecting a knife and making sure everything is good and was putting tuff glide on. He comes in and says why do you have so many knives im sure they are just to be pretty. I have alot of satin finish knives. He says they are all shiny and really nice and says I'm just a show off and they don't look like I use them at all. I have them all organized he starts taking them out and just starts putting them in random spots.He told me that I wouldn't use a 250$ knife. I said yes they all have been used except a few.Then says I'm dumb for using expensive knives. After that all I had to say was get the f*** out.Has anyone ever ran into someone like this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

meh ... haters gonna hate. ;)

Your money, your stuff, use or don't use - your choice.

I would like to see someone walk in my house and handle any of my weaponry...

That said, here's an relevant example that happened to me last week with my Brother in Law. Gosh, don't you just love brother in laws? Me neither. Anyway I am helping my sister and him move into their new house. He had 3 boxes full of shoes, so I told him he might have a shoe problem, half joking. He lashed out and ranted about how many knives I have, and (similar to your story) that I never use them. I proceeded to produce my Victorinox Woodsman, Kershaw Cryo II, and Gerber Guardian (my regular EDC regimen... dont have as nice of knives as you) all 3 littered with scratches and scrapes from use and sharpening. It had an effect of silent resentment. My favorite kind of silence.

They sure are quick to call your name when a knife is needed though...

People like different things, I could care less if anyone comments on my collecting of knives. Interestingly I have had few if any people make comments like that, I am not one who goes out of my way to mention the cost of a certain knife or how many I own (not sure I even know that right now). I am a knife person but I can understand the perception people may have when someone has 3 folders and a fixed blade on them to go to the grocery store.

I would like to see someone walk in my house and handle any of my weaponry...

That said, here's an relevant example that happened to me last week with my Brother in Law. Gosh, don't you just love brother in laws? Me neither. Anyway I am helping my sister and him move into their new house. He had 3 boxes full of shoes, so I told him he might have a shoe problem, half joking. He lashed out and ranted about how many knives I have, and (similar to your story) that I never use them. I proceeded to produce my Victorinox Woodsman, Kershaw Cryo II, and Gerber Guardian (my regular EDC regimen... dont have as nice of knives as you) all 3 littered with scratches and scrapes from use and sharpening. It had an effect of silent resentment. My favorite kind of silence.

They sure are quick to call your name when a knife is needed though...
Luckily for me my brother in law likes the finer things in life but his particular thing tends to be computer components he can advise me on.

One of the dumbest things a sheeple has said to me when I introduced a knife to an impending cutting task was, "Why do you carry a knife?"

To which I say, without hesitation or even so much as making eye contact, because God gave me neither talons nor fangs.

Haha
My wife says this to Everytime I buy a new knife. I always have to tell her I got this $150.00+ knife on clearance for $40 or less or she would kill me. She thinks $40 for a knife is a lot of money and always question why I need so many. I just ask her why she needs so many shoes and end of argument.

" don't start none, won't be none"

The classic "why do you carry a knife?" I always reply "why dont you?" Their answer is "i dont need one" my answer is "well i guess youre not that type of person, but i am".

I love when you're carrying a manual opener and someone says why are you carrying a switch blade??
It seems any knife that opens one handed is a switch blade.
Ugh.
Also, I hear why do you have so many??? Usually asked by friends that have 300 golf clubs with a 32 handicap!!
Joe

If I'm out with friends of the wife, I usually get the, "So, how many knives do you have NOW?" attempt at a guilt trip, which I just ignore. No point arguing with a woman that feels getting a $100 haircut once a month is a necessity, but me having a collection I can sell portions of if the need arose is a waste. We all have our vices.

Haha
My wife says this to Every time I buy a new knife. I always have to tell her I got this $150.00+ knife on clearance for $40 or less or she would kill me. She thinks $40 for a knife is a lot of money and always question why I need so many. I just ask her why she needs so many shoes and end of argument.

Ahh, I have gotten past the point of really caring what people think about MY knives (in terms of numbers or cost), how many I own, or how many I use or have used. The shoe argument gets old too. I have a lot of shoes too. They seldom wear out any more. I buy new ones and don't really want to toss the older ones thinking I can use them for yard work or whatever. But in most cases, in terms of shoes, I use what I'm wearing for almost every circumstance without changing out. Same goes with knives. I use what's in my pocket or on my belt. If it's not in my pocket, it won't get used. Doesn't matter to me if I have knives that I have never used or not likely to use. It's a hobby. You should see how many pairs of pants and tea shirts I own.

Somebody asks how many knives I own? I respond that I don't know. How many guns? I don't know. How many pairs of shoes? I don't know. How many pairs of pants? I don't know. That's the truth of it anyway. I don't care to know.

My wife tells her sister's and bro in laws that I am just like there late father with guns and knifes I take it as a compliment because he was such a great guy loved by all that knew him and well respected. Only difference he collected Ruger revolvers and I collect Smith revolvers.

RIP Jim,

My wife tells her sister's and bro in laws that I am just like there late father with guns and knifes I take it as a compliment because he was such a great guy loved by all that knew him and well respected. Only difference he collected Ruger revolvers and I collect Smith revolvers.

RIP Jim,
I have one revolver my s&w 629 that I'm not aloud to keep in house

Knives are one of the rare classes of product where function and beauty have equal pull.

Any idiot can just buy cookies & bread ?
I asked a friend why she keeps a bag of flour in the kitchen.

People are ignorant, a good many deliberate & militant about it.
Includes many folks here as well.

Dont panic, there is a hidden message in that above text...

I haven't heard 'why do you carry a knife' since I retired from the military. My response was always something like 'why don't you carry one' to pointing out each and every time the need for one came up. Converted more than a few fence sitters.
Now I usually hear something like 'why do you carry so many?'(I usually have a folder, a fixed and maybe my stockman or whittler) My response is usually something like 'I'd carry more if I had somewhere to put them.' I then explain the purpose/use each one could and will serve.
I even got my ex and my two older daughters interested and carrying something. Thankfully their interests aren't as expensive as mine, yet.

I have one revolver my s&w 629 that I'm not aloud to keep in house

I think that just depends on their upbringing, When I was dating my wife to be first couple times I picked her up at her home her Father would be cleaning his guns or sharpening his knifes!!

Back