Thinking about a gun safe

For a long time now, I've gone without owning a gun safe. But now I'm contemplating getting one. But first I need to hear from those who have more experience on the matter than I do.

First, I can't afford much in the way of a safe. I can't afford one of those private bank vault types, and even if I did I simply don't have the room for such a beast. For better or worse, due to various physical restrictions in place that simply can't be mitigated, the best I can do is one of these pressed/folded sheet metal sort of safes.

Second, I have my concerns about my guns possibly rusting inside because we've got a lot of humidity. I want to know if there's anything that can be done for one of these types of safes to make them less permeable to humidity and moisture. Things like a layer of clear epoxy along the inside seams, or a bead of silicone caulking along the inside of the door to act like an O-ring.

Are you talking about just the metal gun cabinets that aren't fire insulated or heavy ... just a lock metal gun cabinet?

Are you talking about just the metal gun cabinets that aren't fire insulated or heavy ... just a lock metal gun cabinet?

That's pretty much the case. Sentinel, Stack On, etc. that sort of setup.

I'd like something better, like a Steelwater 16 model for example, but it's just not an option. It's far too large for the space that I have available available for one, and at 300 pounds it's far too heavy to be moved into position with the equipment we have on hand.

Nothing wrong with that I have a couple that were my gun safes years back ... I use them to store my ammo now ...

You can bolt them to the wall and floor if you want to ...

Homak is what Walmart used to carry but they have a round key that if you lose you need to order new and have the model number etc ... and then pay for replacement keys ...

Stack-On which may be what Walmart carries now I'm not sure but they are nearly identical ... except they have a more normal key and you can probably have extras made if needed ... they also can be bolted to the wall ...

As far as humidity control you have a couple options ... the cheapest easiest one would probably be desiccant packs ... you can buy them in box type for the size of space you want to use them in ...

And the good part most of those you can put in the oven and dry out and reuse them ... you'll have to read which you choose to be sure and they have instructions on how to reuse them ...

The second would be a dehumidifier rod or electric dehumidifier ... takes may 10 or 15 minutes to install but needs to have electricity to run ...

Nothing wrong with that I have a couple that were my gun safes years back ... I use them to store my ammo now ...

You can bolt them to the wall and floor if you want to ...

Homak is what Walmart used to carry but they have a round key that if you lose you need to order new and have the model number etc ... and then pay for replacement keys ...

Stack-On which may be what Walmart carries now I'm not sure but they are nearly identical ... except they have a more normal key and you can probably have extras made if needed ... they also can be bolted to the wall ...

As far as humidity control you have a couple options ... the cheapest easiest one would probably be desiccant packs ... you can buy them in box type for the size of space you want to use them in ...

And the good part most of those you can put in the oven and dry out and reuse them ... you'll have to read which you choose to be sure and they have instructions on how to reuse them ...

The second would be a dehumidifier rod or electric dehumidifier ... takes may 10 or 15 minutes to install but needs to have electricity to run ...

But if the safe isn't humidity proof on its own, because the seams and door gap aren't sealed against such, how does a dehumidifier rod do any good since it'll more or less have to contend with all the humidity in the house?

No the safes aren't sealed but even in a fire rated sealed safe you need humidity control here ... and some routine wipe downs/cleanings ...

You can use weather stripping to help with a seal ... but I have never had any problems with a gun rusting in a cabinet with desiccant packs ...

I take them out every once in awhile and wipe them down and run a lightly oiled patch down the barrel anyway ... but there were times I was away working for months and couldn't do that ... the desiccant packs worked fine and the guns being wiped down before being put away they were fine ...

I live in the midwest it gets real humid in the summer ... not sure where you live ... but I would say unless you have problems with things in your house rusting you'd be fine with wiping your firearms down and keeping fresh desiccant packs in the cabinets ...

I always used two packs so at least double what size they are rated for ... and they have a color sensor that changes as it is time to dry them ...

I don't think you would have problems unless you just put your guns in there and forgot them ... never wiping them down or anything ...

if you aren't having any problems with your firearms or knives rusting now however you have them stored you shouldn't with these type of cabinets ... and the added enclosed area with desiccant packs should be better than say a gun rack or a night stand drawer.

I would convert a closet or a portion of a closet to a locked "safe". Admittedly, a determined thief could break into it, but it would certainly keep things locked up "enough". You can add the dehumidifier type things later as funds allow.

You could also build a stand alone or against a wall type "safe" (sheetrock and 2" x 2" framing). It could look mostly like any wall but with a lock on it. Even regular long bolt door knobs and dead bolt would work for a lock with metal framing or metal augmented 2x2's. Sheetrock is pretty absorbent to moisture but long term I think you need some humidity protection or keep the door open and lock up for extended trips away from the house....

For a long time now, I've gone without owning a gun safe. But now I'm contemplating getting one. But first I need to hear from those who have more experience on the matter than I do.

First, I can't afford much in the way of a safe. I can't afford one of those private bank vault types, and even if I did I simply don't have the room for such a beast. For better or worse, due to various physical restrictions in place that simply can't be mitigated, the best I can do is one of these pressed/folded sheet metal sort of safes.

Second, I have my concerns about my guns possibly rusting inside because we've got a lot of humidity. I want to know if there's anything that can be done for one of these types of safes to make them less permeable to humidity and moisture. Things like a layer of clear epoxy along the inside seams, or a bead of silicone caulking along the inside of the door to act like an O-ring.

I don't know the particulars of your situation, and please, don't spell it out on a public forum for your own safety, but there is one thing I would strongly consider. Get a second, very cheap and flimsy safe (it can be small) that is easy to find. Find a trash gun or two, and put them in it. And I do mean trash. If you ever have a home invasion, and they hold a gun to your wife/child's head and say "Open it, I'm counting to 3...", you want to have a decoy with junk in it...

I have a heavier, fire rated safe.......and my old stackon stamped metal safe. I don't put really nice things in the stack on anymore, but it was my only safe for a long time. It would be a matter of a minute to open it with basic hand tools. But, it keeps a kid or curious neighbor kid from playing with your guns.

It wont stop anyone with the least amount if interest and working arms and legs.

Even a heavier, costly safe can be opened pretty quickly by a determined thief. They are rated in minutes it takes to break them open. A prybar and a second guy on a crowbar is all it takes.

Bolting it down helps.

For moisture, I have a de-hunidifier running in the safe.

Last edited:
Deadbolts are really strong by the way if you have ever tried to cut one with a recip saw. Very hard. Maybe the new thick metal blades would work faster?

I would convert a closet or a portion of a closet to a locked "safe". Admittedly, a determined thief could break into it, but it would certainly keep things locked up "enough". You can add the dehumidifier type things later as funds allow.

You could also build a stand alone or against a wall type "safe" (sheetrock and 2" x 2" framing). It could look mostly like any wall but with a lock on it. Even regular long bolt door knobs and dead bolt would work for a lock with metal framing or metal augmented 2x2's. Sheetrock is pretty absorbent to moisture but long term I think you need some humidity protection or keep the door open and lock up for extended trips away from the house....

I don't know the particulars of your situation, and please, don't spell it out on a public forum for your own safety, but there is one thing I would strongly consider. Get a second, very cheap and flimsy safe (it can be small) that is easy to find. Find a trash gun or two, and put them in it. And I do mean trash. If you ever have a home invasion, and they hold a gun to your wife/child's head and say "Open it, I'm counting to 3...", you want to have a decoy with junk in it...

I have a heavier, fire rated safe.......and my old stackon stamped metal safe. I don't put really nice things in the stack on anymore, but it was my only safe for a long time. It would be a matter of a minute to open it with basic hand tools. But, it keeps a kid or curious neighbor kid from playing with your guns.

It wont stop anyone with the least amount if interest and working arms and legs.

Even a heavier, costly safe can be opened pretty quickly by a determined thief. They are rated in minutes it takes to break them open. A prybar and a second guy on a crowbar is all it takes.

Bolting it down helps.

For moisture, I have a de-hunidifier running in the safe.

Deadbolts are really strong by the way if you have ever tried to cut one with a recip saw. Very hard. Maybe the new thick metal blades would work faster?

Security really isn't my concern on this issue. For me it's more a matter of organized storage, since most of my guns are stored in their individual cases and taking up a lot of room just standing up along the walls.

The Stack On 10, as an example, is only 17" across and 13" deep, which takes up a lot less room than 10 rifles/shotguns in padded cases stacked together.

Capacity ratings are usually based off of single shot rifles or shotguns stacked alternating muzzle up, muzzle down etc. If you have scoped rifles or anything with a pistol grip you can count on it taking up 2 or 3 places of the claimed capacity.
I’ve got a couple large desiccant packs and wipe down everything once a year weather it gets shot or not(except my Beretta Xtrema 2 which I cleaned once about 5 years ago and my 870 that I don’t think I’ve cleaned since the mid 90’s).

Security really isn't my concern on this issue. For me it's more a matter of organized storage, since most of my guns are stored in their individual cases and taking up a lot of room just standing up along the walls.
Well, if you have carpentry skills, you could easily convert a closet to vertical storage of your long guns. Handguns could be stored on shelves. Just depends on how many we're talking about. I understand storage in gun cases. I have never had a problem with rusting or similar issues on the rifles or handguns I have stored in cases, and that includes plastic foam lined cases that all the experts say is a terrible idea as they trap moisture.

The Golden Rods warm slightly which pushes the humidity out of the safe. They work well. Desiccant is also an option but I use it as a back up to the Golden Rod.

There are rifle rod kits which let most safes hold more rifles. Not real $$ and worth it if space it tight. Also, look about a door organizer and possibly an extra shelf up high to use that dead space.

There are also ones which come apart if that helps your weight situation as well as moving it. It put into a small space and assembled so they can't come out that is a perk, or bolt it down. Any do better bolted in place.

Last edited:
Well, if you have carpentry skills, you could easily convert a closet to vertical storage of your long guns. Handguns could be stored on shelves. Just depends on how many we're talking about. I understand storage in gun cases. I have never had a problem with rusting or similar issues on the rifles or handguns I have stored in cases, and that includes plastic foam lined cases that all the experts say is a terrible idea as they trap moisture.

I'm fairly competent in the way of carpentry, but it's something I just don't have much time for anymore.

For a couple of years now I've been planning a custom designed wooden table in my room with an included drawer, all designed to look like a simple shop work table. I have everything planned out, I know exactly what I want to do and what I need to do it, but despite that I simply haven't had the time or energy to undertake such a project.

That's when I look at unfinished furniture. My one desk, similar to your description, was unfinished. Looked great after I finished it. Wasn't very hard to do.

Hire a handy man to do the closet remodel. :D

if no power source, a couple of eva-dry 500's along with a small 10.5 oz. bucket of damprid (non-scented) in lower back corner of safe.

recharging eva-dry takes approximately 12+ hours to dry out, hence 2 units. ensure to keep gun stocks and what not away from bucket of damprid as it'll eventually fill up and you don't want that stuff spilling as it's a bit caustic.

Before buying locks, give a look at two youtube channels, lockpickinglawyer and bosnianbill. See if they have done a tear-down on the one you are looking at, because if they have, that will give you an idea on how good the safe actually is. Both are gun guys and take it seriously.

Before buying locks, give a look at two youtube channels, lockpickinglawyer and bosnianbill. See if they have done a tear-down on the one you are looking at, because if they have, that will give you an idea on how good the safe actually is. Both are gun guys and take it seriously.

I have no doubt. You can find just about anything on youtube these days.

I agree with everyone that says you should get the best safe you can find. However, I also kind of see it as the first rule of a gun fight--have a gun.

Here, have a gun safe. Even one of those WalMart metal locker gun safes will be better than leaning them against the wall in your closet. It will at the very least keep you safe if you have kids in the house and "most" criminals aren't going to do a smash and grab and come equipped with tools and knowledge to pry open even a light duty safe (or carry a 100-200 pound metal box off with them).

Back