Thinking about getting my CCW

This... and find a GOOD defensive shooting instructor right away who can analyze your technique. That way you can crush bad habits as early as possible and lay a solid foundation to get your building blocks up to speed quickly. You'll enjoy the learning process much more when you have a good starting point. You might even consider doing this BEFORE you buy the gun, as you may discover you didn't buy what was going to work best for you and you'll end up spending more on a new search for your holy grail (which isn't all bad.... I mean, I maaaay have more than one Busse, Swamp Rat and or ScrapYard in the safe).

Thanks for taking the responsibility of your own self preservation seriously.

Good luck to ya and stay safe,

Mike

Great points here!

Comfort is key, if it's not comfortable, you'll find yourself not wanting to carry. A smaller, more comfortable firearm that you carry is leaps and bounds better than the bigger one you left at home! Open carry on the waist (or OWB) is pretty comfortable, so if you're not trying to conceal, that's an easy option. IWB takes some getting used to.

That said, a good holster, and especially a good belt, will make worlds of difference!!! I don't think the belts are emphasized enough. I recommend The Beltman out of North Carolina, excellent products for the money, good enough to wear daily, which I do, and I have several different ones. Go with a 1.5" width, trust me here. Beyond that, the other options don't matter too much.

I like the Milt Sparks VM2 holster for IWB, and the Remora sticky pouch sheaths for pocket carry or quick IWB trips.

The S&W M&P Shield 9mm gets a LOT of good reviews, and it won't break the bank. I personally like and carry the Springfield XD-s in .45 myself most of the time, but I also at times carry an XD sub-compact in .40, a compact 1911 in .45, a Kel-Tec PF9 in 9mm, a Walther PPK-S in .380, and a .32 Kel-Tec P-32 for pocket carry.

Last edited:
You need mega. Firehose pants, that's mega - and Firehose Flex is ligher for summer - and they have nice shorts that are tough.

Mega indeed. You done dipping those Wardens in tequila yet?

:p

best

mqqn

There is only one problem with me dipping those wardens in tequila. By the time I get ready to dip the first one all the tequila is gone and I have to get up and get more. There is only so many trips a man can take with a glass of Don on the rocks before he grabs the bottle.

Comfort is key, if it's not comfortable, you'll find yourself not wanting to carry. A smaller, more comfortable firearm that you carry is leaps and bounds better than the bigger one you left at home! Open carry on the waist (or OWB) is pretty comfortable, so if you're not trying to conceal, that's an easy option. IWB takes some getting used to.

That said, a good holster, and especially a good belt, will make worlds of difference!!! I don't think the belts are emphasized enough. I recommend The Beltman out of North Carolina, excellent products for the money, good enough to wear daily, which I do, and I have several different ones. Go with a 1.5" width, trust me here. Beyond that, the other options don't matter too much.

I like the Milt Sparks VM2 holster for IWB, and the Remora sticky pouch sheaths for pocket carry or quick IWB trips.

The S&W M&P Shield 9mm gets a LOT of good reviews, and it won't break the bank. I personally like and carry the Springfield XDs in .45 myself most of the time, but I also at times carry an XD sub-compact in .40, a compact 1911 in .45, a Kel-Tec PF9 in 9mm, a Walther PPK-S in .380, and a .32 Kel-Tec P-32 for pocket carry.

I have been looking at an XD for some time. I would love the IWB carry method. not too big on the pocket carry I can't stand bulk in my pocket my phone is annoying to me as it is to carry everyday.

I have been looking at an XD for some time. I would love the IWB carry method. not too big on the pocket carry I can't stand bulk in my pocket my phone is annoying to me as it is to carry everyday.

The XD line is nice, I'm a fan. Glock makes great stuff as well, but I can't stand them.

I started caring with a full size aluminum 1911, then a 4” all steel 1911 (both Kimbers), then went on to an XD for a VERY short while, and have stayed with Glocks since. My gen3 G19 gets the most belt time, G43 on occasion. I shoot both well, as I have the right size hand to get a full grip on the G43 without the pinky mag extension (Mechanix Medium). But not everyone can. Funny enough, I shoot the G19 essay better than I can the G17. Something about the recoil timing and muscle memory.

I’ve learned that caliber wars are pretty much pointless as far as service calibers go (anything .38/9mm and up). Below that, you may run into penetration issues with thicker clothing. But I’ve always thought 9mm were better for me. I can put twice as many rounds accurately on target than most of my friends shooting .40S&W - and given quality ammo, there’s negligible performance difference. It’s what you like and shoot better. I point naturally with a 1911, and used to get on target the quickest with one. However, training with the Glock had made it more natural for me now, and I stay on target (sight recovery) better with a Glock now than a 1911. I occasionally carry a 1911 in the winter because I think the added mass of a .45 can get thru clothing better. When I do, I carry both a 1911 OWB and pocket carry a snubby in my coat pocket (.38+p in a S&W .357 snubby).

Get what’s most comfortable for you to shoot. Then, find a good holster that’ll carry well for you. As others have mentioned, a good belt and holster combo makes ALL the difference in carry comfort and can make or break the carry experience. Don't skimp if it allows you to carry comfortably.

Good luck!

The posts above cover the subject very well, a good belt is important. I carry a Glock 23 mid size gun and have for a long time but when you start out if will feel weird. You might feel like everyone can see it but over time it will become natural and most people are not even paying attention. Good luck in your search.

Thanks everyone for all of the tips and help your insights are exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to get a feel for the holstering in and out and in different positions for a while and see what I like with different styles and sizes and go from there. I will let you know what I come up with.

some good points made already ... definitely carry something you are comfortable with and shoot well. And it's great that you have decided to take the step to get you CCW .

But it must be something that you WILL carry ... meaning not too heavy or bulky and not necessarily the smallest handgun you find ... so that when you strap it on or pocket it ... however you decide to carry ... that you are not uncomfortable and therefore leave your firearm at home often.

Also be sure to invest in a good gun belt ... that can make all the difference in how and what you can be comfortable carrying. And it may seem silly but carry at home first ... actually wear whatever holster and firearm you choose while you are at home. UNLOAD it and wear it and experiment with clothes and how to conceal and draw your weapon. It may change what holster or firearm you decide to carry.

Last edited:
some good points made already ... definitely carry something you are comfortable with and shoot well.

But it must be something that you WILL carry ... meaning not too heavy or bulky and not necessarily the smallest handgun you find ... so that when you strap it on or pocket it ... however you decide to carry ... that you are not uncomfortable and therefore leave your firearm at home often.

Also be sure to invest in a good gun belt ... that can make all the difference in how and what you can be comfortable carrying. And it may seem silly but carry at home first ... actually wear whatever holster and firearm you choose while you are at home. UNLOAD it and wear it and experiment with clothes and how to conceal and draw your weapon. It may change what holster or firearm you decide to carry.

That is exactly how I was planning on doing it.

I have a couple of pocket guns but they never get carried it just doesn’t work for me either.

The belly band? No I haven't. I've been searching for something good for kilted carry, other than in the sporran. Takes up all the space.

Clint Smith said a gun should be comforting, not comfortable. I think Clint is a great man, and great instructor, but totally disagree with him there.

The gun itself isn’t as important as the comfort. If it isn’t comfortable, you won’t carry it, ALL THE TIME! If you don’t carry it ALL THE TIME, it is no good to you.
Look for holster availability first. This means you have to get a common firearm. A common firearm will have the most variety of holster options.

Face it. You’re going to go through a lot of holsters. But you won’t even be able to if you don’t have a firearm that is common.

And just as important, GET A GOOD BELT. It can be leather, webbing, nylon, rubber... whatever. I’ve heard great things about Beltman. Don’t have one. I love Liger belts, but I don’t know if you can even get them anymore. Best belt I’ve had is Ares Gear. The concept isn’t much different than the old uniform belt for... Class B uniforms? A slider in a buckle. But the point is, infinitely adjustable. But tough as nails.

Second best is the “ratchet belt.” I prefer the Blade Tech version. The setup of the buckle is more robust because of the placement of the set screws that help hold the webbing in place. I tried a NEXBELT buckle. The Bladetech version is more robust. Tougher.

Third best is the Liger belt. Third only because it isn’t as adjustable. The holes are in 1 inch increments. Or maybe half inch. Nevertheless, it is probably the best belt I’ve ever used. Period. Probably better than the Ares in pure toughness. It is only third because as I get a little older, the adjustability is more important.

My 2 cents would be if budget allows think 2-3 handguns. A compact/sub compact for carry and full sized for practice. I think it’s easier to learn to shoot a full sized handgun than a smaller one. And stay in the same brand...like CZ P09 and CZ P07 or Glock 17 and 19 to keep things like handle angle and controls consistent. Also getting a .22 or .22 conversion kit allows you to get a lot more trigger time without breaking the bank.

If I was starting again I would totally start with some solid instruction too. A USPSA or IDPA instructor will get you up and shooting better than trying to teach yourself at a range.

My 2 cents would be if budget allows think 2-3 handguns. A compact/sub compact for carry and full sized for practice. I think it’s easier to learn to shoot a full sized handgun than a smaller one. And stay in the same brand...like CZ P09 and CZ P07 or Glock 17 and 19 to keep things like handle angle and controls consistent. Also getting a .22 or .22 conversion kit allows you to get a lot more trigger time without breaking the bank.

If I was starting again I would totally start with some solid instruction too. A USPSA or IDPA instructor will get you up and shooting better than trying to teach yourself at a range.
That’s usually true for a lot of people and I used to agree with that... However, I have practiced with, and can shoot a G19 to my looking, but put a G17 in my hands, and things go all wacky... Of course, basic shooting is fine, but when it comes to Rapid fire drills, etc., the recoil characteristics are different enough that it allows me down. (Both stock) I'd say practice with regards you will carry as much as possible to get used to THAT firearm. Although, is never turn away anyone from advice to get multiple guns :D.

The. 22 idea tho, is gold. :thumbsup:

Lots of variables involved. How big are you? How fit are you? How do you dress? What do you shoot well?

Only you can answer most of these questions.

Lots of variables involved. How big are you? How fit are you? How do you dress? What do you shoot well?

Only you can answer most of these questions.

Well I'm 5'9" and pretty strong but I would not call me fit. I'm in shape ( round is a shape right) and I weigh between 220 lbs and 240 lbs depending on the season. I am thinking that I may learn left handed for my CCW so this will require a ton of practice. Someone told me I might be left eye dominant last time I shot a pistol and I may be more accurate left handed. I am ambidextrous for the most part I can do just about anything left handed that I normally do right handed except writing and eating (you can only stab yourself in the face with a fork so many times). I have shot plenty of times left handed just to do it and it is actually not that uncomfortable for me so why not give it a whirl. I bat better as a lefty so maybe I'll shoot better as one too. If anyone has an opinion on this or experienced it first hand any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Back