Thinking about ordering a Randall and would appreciate some guidance

Like many, I've long thought about ordering a Randall. At this point I figure I'm just going to do it, but I don't want to go off half-cocked.

I want the knife largely as a presentation piece, something which will become a family heirloom. After studying Randall's catalogue at length, I've pretty much narrowed things down to (no surprise) either a Smithsonian or a Confederate Bowie. How does that sound, so far?

Then there's the question of the extra features. I have long wanted a knife with a stag handle, so I am considering that. I also appreciate the hilt/handle brass collars (not sure smooth or scalloped?) and the flanged butt caps (although I'm not sure they work well with a stag handle?)

I pretty much found this very knife on eBay being sold as a pair. The bottom example looks a lot better to me -- mostly the (larger/natural stag) handle.

Anyway I'm sure some combinations work better than others, so I am asking for some Randall Made Knives wisdom. Thanks.

IDcVFIt.gif

Looking at this photo posted by user "pjsjr", I wonder if another butt cap would be more appropriate with a stag handle? These two examples look just exquisite:

lw6Tl3S.jpg

Anyway, thanks again for any insights.

Last edited:
Wow! You are jumping right into the deep end of the pool!

I like Stag, a lot. Randall does a great job with it. So I think that’s a good choice. I especially like when they use a brass butt plate instead of a pommel. They trim it to match the natural contours of the stag. It’s also the perfect place to engrave an initial.

I like the way steel patinas, but for a display knife stainless makes a lot of sense.

Wow! You are jumping right into the deep end of the pool!

I like Stag, a lot. Randall does a great job with it. So I think that’s a good choice. I especially like when they use a brass butt plate instead of a pommel. They trim it to match the natural contours of the stag. It’s also the perfect place to engrave an initial.

I like the way steel patinas, but for a display knife stainless makes a lot of sense.

Thanks... I need a good/big Bowie as the centerpiece of my collection.

I would definitely go with SS if these big Bowies were available in that material. I like the stag because my Mom was Bavarian and it reminds me of her hometown.

Thanks for the information on the brass butt place. I'll look for an example online.

I see what you are saying It looks like stainless is a no go on the big Bowie’s?
Maybe someone else who knows more will chime in.

Renwax will keep it looking new for display either way.

Have you stumbled across The “King Faisal” Bowie yet? It’s a knife Randall offered for a short time. You could try to mimic that knife too. Or at least get ideas.

The more I think about it a Big Heavy Brass pommel makes sense to offset the weight of the big blade.

I considered the larger bowies; but decided I preferred the appearance of the Bear Bowie, and opted for the 8". (I didn't know about the option of alternative blade styles, or I might have chosen differently)

Since I was also scratching the Randall itch, I chose to jump in with both feet by also ordering a 2-7 in the same handle material (desert ironwood), with the same fixtures (nickel silver hilt and buttcap on both)

Last edited:
I’m with you hhmoore hhmoore I don’t really need a Large Bowie. I went with a Buxton Fighter. In my opinion it has the prettiest grind lines of any Randall. View attachment 1476774Im carrying these today. I’m sure the LoomFixer will see more use.

It all boils down to personal preference. As I said in the other thread. Buy what looks like a Bowie to you. The two in the first picture in the first post are beautiful and very classic.

@pjsjr ’s knives are beautiful. I’m just not sure those pommels are right for a Bowie. They look too modern.

Two minor details you might overlook. The spacers and the sheath.

Red White & Blue spacers are Randall’s default. For this knife you may want to go with brass and black? Or some other combo.

On a big knife like this I’d go with a “no hone” sheath. They will still include a sharpening stone. That little pocket looks out of place on the big sheaths. Also decide on Black or brown.

Last edited:
My one and only Randall has a stag handle. I love the knife but wish I had the fitted brass over the end. I think it's called the "Butt Plate" option. It sort of looks like the very end of the stag was dipped in brass (or nickel silver).

Mine's a user though. Some of the other cap options look fancier and more suited for a presentation knife, I suppose.

Desmobob, Thta is one of the few options that can be added to your Randall knife. You can send it back and have a butt plate added. Give them a call.

After I had mentioned it, I started wondering about that...
That's good news! I think I'll send it to Florida and have it added.

Thanks for the information.

Please take before and after pictures. I’d like to have mine done too. The end of my stag is curved. I’m wondering if they make a curved plate or trim the stag to make it flat.

Whelp, I really appreciate all the input. I've given this a great deal of thought and I'm going to go with a Randall Model 14 Attack with a SS blade. For those of you that own or have seen the M14 in person, does the black, green or Ivorite Micarta handle (with fingergrips) look best? I think I will also add a brass butt cap or a brass "crow's beak" butt cap?

Because the M14 comes stock with a Micarta handle as stock (otherwise a $50.00 upgrade), do they charge $10.00 or the full $60.00 for the ivorite handle option? I'm also curious if they charge to drill a hole through the butt cap, given the standard handle comes with a hole -- which they charge $35.00 for (includes wrist thong) on other models?

Any advice on the sheath? Anything special to know? Also, and I hope this doesn't sound odd, if one of my heirs should choose to liquidate my coming Randall one day (presuming they don't sell it for a few bucks at a yard sale), which options bring the most $$$ on the used market? Thanks again.

To add a pommel I believe you have to have a CDT (cut down tang).

Since you want stainless, did you look at the model 16 special fighter? It comes standard in stainless.

To add a pommel I believe you have to have a CDT (cut down tang).

Since you want stainless, did you look at the model 16 special fighter? It comes standard in stainless.
Thanks for that input. Yep, I looked hard at the M16, but I prefer the blade profile of the M14...

The way I read it on their site.

Once you go to a cut down tang to add the pommel that you want, the standard handle becomes leather washers and duralumin pommel. Then it is like optioning out a model 1. So micarta thong hole and special pommel become chargeable.

I’m looking forward to finding out the real answers to your questions.

have you looked at the model 5? It has a similar blade shape you can order it with an 8 inch blade. It already has a CDT. I just ordered a model 5 Bradford Angier on New Years Day

The M5 is quite nice, although the single hilt doesn't do it for me.

If the brass butt cap could be made to look good with the finger gripped Micarta, possibly paired with a brass lugged hilt, that might look fairly clean? I wonder if you can add a brass butt cap without cutting down the tang on the M14?

It looks like the finger grips are a bit appreviated on this one, and it was been CDTed:

5ZeMX0q.jpg

Last edited:
I personally would not blindly order a Stag handle knife from Randall. I absolutely love Randall Stag handle knives and that is all I am buying at this moment but you would be ordering a pig in a poke. If you order something like black micarta in a particular shape you know EXACTLY what you are getting pretty much every single time. That holds true for many other Randall handle types and styles.

Stag handle knives are by far the most risky knife handle material to order from Randall because they vary so greatly. The picture you used in your post is perfect for the sake of this example. The knives are exactly the same in every way except the stag handle part. The knife with the larger piece of Stag being used for the handle looks MUCH better that the smaller one and is much more desirable.

You have absolutely no control over this unless you provide the handle material yourself. Stag handles with Randall are too much a roll of the dice IMHO. Blindly ordering a Randall Stag handle knife is kind of like what Forrest Gump said... "Life is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you are going to get". Blindly ordering Stag handle knives from Randall is setting yourself for disappointment IMHO. I personally would only order knives that there is almost no variance in appearance. Even ordering wood handle knives like Thuya Burl you can see a wide range of examples. Most look really nice but some are OMG amazing. Wouldn't you prefer to choose really nice or amazing?

My position on purchasing ANY Randall knife where there is a variance with the looks of the handle material I will only purchase knives I can see in advance. I am just not willing to roll the dice otherwise... YMMV. Also since you want this to be a Heirloom piece to pass down... why would you not want to see it in advance and get something that looks exactly like you want it to... just saying.

Back