Thinking about ordering a Randall and would appreciate some guidance

The way I read it on their site.

Once you go to a cut down tang to add the pommel that you want, the standard handle becomes leather washers and duralumin pommel. Then it is like optioning out a model 1. So micarta thong hole and special pommel become chargeable.

I’m looking forward to finding out the real answers to your questions.

have you looked at the model 5? It has a similar blade shape you can order it with an 8 inch blade. It already has a CDT. I just ordered a model 5 Bradford Angier on New Years Day

Direct from Randall:

"We only offer black or green micarta for the standard 14-7 ½ . The additional cost for a lugged hilt would be $ 65.

Best,

Jason Randall"

I personally would not blindly order a Stag handle knife from Randall. I absolutely love Randall Stag handle knives and that is all I am buying at this moment but you would be ordering a pig in a poke. If you order something like black micarta in a particular shape you know EXACTLY what you are getting pretty much every single time. That holds true for many other Randall handle types and styles.

Stag handle knives are by far the most risky knife handle material to order from Randall because they vary so greatly. The picture you used in your post is perfect for the sake of this example. The knives are exactly the same in every way except the stag handle part. The knife with the larger piece of Stag being used for the handle looks MUCH better that the smaller one and is much more desirable.

You have absolutely no control over this unless you provide the handle material yourself. Stag handles with Randall are too much a roll of the dice IMHO. Blindly ordering a Randall Stag handle knife is kind of like what Forrest Gump said... "Life is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you are going to get". Blindly ordering Stag handle knives from Randall is setting yourself for disappointment IMHO. I personally would only order knives that there is almost no variance in appearance. Even ordering wood handle knives like Thuya Burl you can see a wide range of examples. Most look really nice but some are OMG amazing. Wouldn't you prefer to choose really nice or amazing?

My position on purchasing ANY Randall knife where there is a variance with the looks of the handle material I will only purchase knives I can see in advance. I am just not willing to roll the dice otherwise... YMMV. Also since you want this to be a Heirloom piece to pass down... why would you not want to see it in advance and get something that looks exactly like you want it to... just saying.
I tend to agree. You just don't know what you're going to get from an aesthetic standpoint. These two Randall Smithsonians, particularly the top one, just doesn't tickle my fancy.

IDcVFIt.gif

I’d be more worried about the feel and how well it indexes than how it looks.

I’m happy with my stag Randall’s I don’t think anyone does a better job with stag than Randall does. It also is really Sambar Stag with dense centers. Some other makers I’m not too sure about.

It’s not mine, (but it may be the next one I order.)

Just thought it might help you decide on yours.

I personally would not blindly order a Stag handle knife from Randall. I absolutely love Randall Stag handle knives and that is all I am buying at this moment but you would be ordering a pig in a poke. If you order something like black micarta in a particular shape you know EXACTLY what you are getting pretty much every single time. That holds true for many other Randall handle types and styles.

Stag handle knives are by far the most risky knife handle material to order from Randall because they vary so greatly. The picture you used in your post is perfect for the sake of this example. The knives are exactly the same in every way except the stag handle part. The knife with the larger piece of Stag being used for the handle looks MUCH better that the smaller one and is much more desirable.

You have absolutely no control over this unless you provide the handle material yourself. Stag handles with Randall are too much a roll of the dice IMHO. Blindly ordering a Randall Stag handle knife is kind of like what Forrest Gump said... "Life is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you are going to get". Blindly ordering Stag handle knives from Randall is setting yourself for disappointment IMHO. I personally would only order knives that there is almost no variance in appearance. Even ordering wood handle knives like Thuya Burl you can see a wide range of examples. Most look really nice but some are OMG amazing. Wouldn't you prefer to choose really nice or amazing?

My position on purchasing ANY Randall knife where there is a variance with the looks of the handle material I will only purchase knives I can see in advance. I am just not willing to roll the dice otherwise... YMMV. Also since you want this to be a Heirloom piece to pass down... why would you not want to see it in advance and get something that looks exactly like you want it to... just saying.

This is absolutely correct in all aspects. I made good money for many years reselling RMK's, both because the wait was non-existent and because potential could see what they were going to get. I've got some amazing stag from RMK, and some real dogs too. It really sucks to wait, unwrap, and be disappointed. It can be a real souring experience for first timers.

Back