Thinking of adding a second grinder....

Thinking of adding another grinder to the shop, and I see there are MANY more choices out there than when I started 10-12 years ago.

I have a KMG converted to direct drive as well as a KMG horizontal grinder and a Trugrit disc grinder set up.

I am mainly thinking of getting another machine so I can dedicate the KMG to hollow grinding to avoid switching tooling so much, and get a new machine that has the second tool arm/work rest capability.

I have put out a lot of work with my current shop set up, but I am getting older and lazy(er), and getting closer to retirement from my day job. I have been in my current shop for about 8 years, and am finally getting my idea of work flow and streamlining it down to where it needs to be.
Thanks for any insight!

I have 3 2 X 72s- and I don't make a lot of knives.
Look at Pheer grinders.

I have a esteem and and like it. It would make a great second grinder. For a primary grinder it's hard to beat a TW90. At some point I will get one. The other option if you have room is to get 2 of a cheaper grinder like a Reader the one that Stacy mentioned. Some of those are cheap enough that you could get 2 or 3 for the price of a high end grinder like a TW90. I don't have that much room. For me the ability to easily go horizontal and the second tool rest slot would be super useful.

If you don't have a surface grinder in the shop - you might wish to look at a SG attachment for a 2X72. Those things are really nice. I didn't realize how useful the SGA would be until I used one for a while.

Personally I would either get a Northridge tool, tw90, or wait until Chris Williams comes out with his gen 2 TAG grinder :D

Do you have a wet grind set up. I converted one of my grinders a couple years back and it's changed how and when I heat treat and at what thickness do I stop grinding the bevels.

Fred

Make one! If you can make a nice knife you can make a great grinder fairly economically - otherwise I vote for the reeder.

Back