1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Thinking of adding a second grinder....

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by tomh, Aug 17, 2019.

1. tomh

tomh

Oct 3, 2005
    Thinking of adding another grinder to the shop, and I see there are MANY more choices out there than when I started 10-12 years ago.

I have a KMG converted to direct drive as well as a KMG horizontal grinder and a Trugrit disc grinder set up.

I am mainly thinking of getting another machine so I can dedicate the KMG to hollow grinding to avoid switching tooling so much, and get a new machine that has the second tool arm/work rest capability.

I have put out a lot of work with my current shop set up, but I am getting older and lazy(er), and getting closer to retirement from my day job. I have been in my current shop for about 8 years, and am finally getting my idea of work flow and streamlining it down to where it needs to be.
    Thanks for any insight!

2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    I have 3 2 X 72s- and I don't make a lot of knives.
    Look at Pheer grinders.

3. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Take a look at the Reader grinder and its accessories.

Ken H> likes this.
  4. Storm W

Storm W

Feb 19, 2019
    I have a esteem and and like it. It would make a great second grinder. For a primary grinder it's hard to beat a TW90. At some point I will get one. The other option if you have room is to get 2 of a cheaper grinder like a Reader the one that Stacy mentioned. Some of those are cheap enough that you could get 2 or 3 for the price of a high end grinder like a TW90. I don't have that much room. For me the ability to easily go horizontal and the second tool rest slot would be super useful.

5. Kali4nia

Kali4nia

Aug 12, 2015
    I like my Northridge tool grinder very much

6. dirtyphil

dirtyphil Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 19, 2014
    2nd the Esteem...mines great!

7. Ken H>

Ken H>

Dec 31, 2011
    If you don't have a surface grinder in the shop - you might wish to look at a SG attachment for a 2X72. Those things are really nice. I didn't realize how useful the SGA would be until I used one for a while.

8. Ken H>

Ken H>

Dec 31, 2011
    Tom, I just noticed the link to your website - it didn't work for me. I had to use https://halloranknives.com/ (note without the "tom" at start). Is my browser messing up?

9. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    Personally I would either get a Northridge tool, tw90, or wait until Chris Williams comes out with his gen 2 TAG grinder :D

10. Fred.Rowe

Fred.Rowe Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

May 2, 2004
    Do you have a wet grind set up. I converted one of my grinders a couple years back and it's changed how and when I heat treat and at what thickness do I stop grinding the bevels.

Fred

Keith Nix likes this.
  11. bjansen

bjansen

Feb 4, 2013
    Make one! If you can make a nice knife you can make a great grinder fairly economically - otherwise I vote for the reeder.

Ken H> likes this.