Thinking of getting a Bussekin knife

coolbreezy37

Gold Member
Hello Everyone. I’ve been thinking of getting a Bussekin knife for about a year now. My 3 choices are the hell razor 2, team Gemini and the swamp rat mega ratweiler. I’d really appreciate some pros and cons of each. I’m a Kabar guy (especially Becker line of knives) at heart, but I’ve always heard great things about the Busse line. How does the INFI compare to the sr101? Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Damien

Get the TGULB. You will be throwing your kabar in the dumpster after you get your hands on this bad boy. I was a fan of Kabar too. Then I discovered Busse. When I got a Team Gemini Light Brigade I was amazed. It made my kabar feel like a toy. I ended up selling my kabar and getting heavily into Busse blades.
The reason I recommend the TGULB is because it is basically a TGLB just a little thinner and slightly different fuller. The TGULB is available currently on the Busse website. You can keep your eye out on the exchange for a TGLB. Eventually you Will NEED both.

There is a lot to unpack in your question. A bit biased but you wont go wrong with any busse.

There are a TON of models, not just the ones listed on the Busse/swamprat site.

Both steels are awesome but have different strengths. SR101 will take a keener edge but is more prone too patina and rust. INFI is stronger, and while not stainless is rust resistant but will generally not take as keen an edge.

I suggest looking at the trade forums as many of the not currently available models can be found. There are tons of models that range in thickness, length, steel and grips materials. Everything from shorter thin slicers to ultra beefy heavy choppers. Without knowing your end use its hard to recommend a specific model.

What length and end use are you shooting for?

I plan on using it for camping and hunting mainly. Moderate to hard use. No crazy abuse or torture tests.

How does a 5.25 inch blade sound? Seems like a solid choice for food prep and feather sticks, cutting rope and animal prep.

I'd suggest looking for a ratmandu or mega ratmandu if you like sr101 its a bit cheaper but you can get an INFIdu or if you want to go infi.

I would ask what your using it for. I have both a hr2 and a tgulb. What is the knife gonna be doing?

Personally, the handle of the hr2 does it for me.

Have them, too, even two HR2. Love the TGULB though, it’s lighter and much more manageable.

Then again, for that size, don’t overlook the DS8, it’s a real joy to carry for an 8” knife. That’s Busse Kin’s hidden gem in that size category, IMO.

INFI is also easier to sharpen. I’d go with the TGULB or the HR2, depending on which handle you like (or think you will like) more. I will say the the TGULB top guards can make choking up on the choil a little awkward at first, but you get used to it. If you’re okay with SR-101, you should also consider the DB-421 on the Scrap Yard site.

There is a lot to unpack in your question. A bit biased but you wont go wrong with any busse.

There are a TON of models, not just the ones listed on the Busse/swamprat site.

Both steels are awesome but have different strengths. SR101 will take a keener edge but is more prone too patina and rust. INFI is stronger, and while not stainless is rust resistant but will generally not take as keen an edge.

I suggest looking at the trade forums as many of the not currently available models can be found. There are tons of models that range in thickness, length, steel and grips materials. Everything from shorter thin slicers to ultra beefy heavy choppers. Without knowing your end use its hard to recommend a specific model.

What length and end use are you shooting for?
7 1/2 to 8” is a must for me. If I had to narrow it down it’s mainly between the TGLB and HR2. Like I said, I’m gonna use is mainly for camping and hunting. I’m not going to try to abuse it, although I’m fairly sure a Busse can take it.

I’ve used rather large knives for feathering and processing (my father taught me how). I’m ok with batoning and notching. I practiced in my yard with the very unwieldy tops operator 7. I got decent results from it. I feel like I can do much better with a thinner Busse knife. The top guards don’t bother me. The operator 7 has top guards and I was able to choke up on the choil relatively decent.

Don’t do it Damien. Otherwise you’ll be retiring 10 years later than expected like the rest of us 😆
Good point! I have a little coinage saved to spend on a nice Bussekin. But just one for now. I think I’m leaning toward the Gemini and I’ll get the HR2. I like the lines of the TG a little better IMHO

I gifted my best friend a Competition finish TGULB with Black G-10 handles and a Buy Brown sheath. It has become his go to camping knife, and he frequents the Tennessee wilderness. He’s the biggest knife nut I’ve known, and had no knowledge of Busse. Told me he’s most impressed with edge retention, how ridiculously quick it sharpens on the rare occasion you need to, and how much abuse it can take. Says he trusts it with his life.

INFI is also easier to sharpen. I’d go with the TGULB or the HR2, depending on which handle you like (or think you will like) more. I will say the the TGULB top guards can make choking up on the choil a little awkward at first, but you get used to it. If you’re okay with SR-101, you should also consider the DB-421 on the Scrap Yard site.
I was looking at the looking at the DB-421. Excellent looking knife, maybe I’ll consider one down the line.

I gifted my best friend a Competition finish TGULB with Black G-10 handles and a Buy Brown sheath. It has become his go to camping knife, and he frequents the Tennessee wilderness. He’s the biggest knife nut I’ve known, and had no knowledge of Busse. Told me he’s most impressed with edge retention, how ridiculously quick it sharpens on the rare occasion you need to, and how much abuse it can take. Says he trusts it with his life.
^^ this. The same set up minus the sheath is in my shopping cart at the Busse website. I don’t really know much about Busse either. I didn’t even know you could get a sheath on the website.

All that’s left to figure out now is finish or coming color, handle material and color, and which sheath.

Edit, since we posted a moment apart. I have no experience with Danny the Bull’s leather, but it looks good to go. Lots of members here make leather and/or kydex sheaths, as well. That’s how I found BuyBrownInd, who’s done most of my kydex.

All that’s left to figure out now is finish or coming color, handle material and color, and which sheath.

Edit, since we posted a moment apart. I have no experience with Danny the Bull’s leather, but it looks good to go. Lots of members here make leather and/or kydex sheaths, as well. That’s how I found BuyBrownInd, who’s done most of my kydex.
I have a dc finish with black g10 in the cart. What’s the difference between competition and dc finish?

ScoMa, I think you swayed my decision. I will be purchasing a team Gemini because of your story about gifting your best friend (awesome gesture by the way) with this knife. Thanks to you and everyone else who helped in this thread.

Back