Thinking of maybe doing a giveaway...

Anybody thats done one got any advice? dos and donts, etc. It'll be a traditional and for folks that haunt the traditional forum.
my 10 year on the forum is coming up, had a heck of a year last year, I'm very fortunate and its way past time i pay something forward :)
thanks
Gene

Anybody thats done one got any advice? dos and donts, etc. It'll be a traditional and for folks that haunt the traditional forum.
my 10 year on the forum is coming up, had a heck of a year last year, I'm very fortunate and its way past time i pay something forward :)
thanks
Gene
Umm? I just did my first give away. I limited to folks who contribute to traditional knives, i.e. 50 posts+. Also asked that folks not sell the knife I gave away. Finally, I tried to limit to those who did not get their hands on the knife I was giving which was a limited run. I would add to your post are you giving a hard to get knife?

Nicely done on the 10 years.

I personally really like it when a GAW has some kind of wrinkle. Whether it is a funny winner selection method, or requires some extra effort on the part of entrants. I just really enjoy the extra level of participation. Glennbad did a wonderful GAW recently that involved everybody sharing stories about their dads. It was a moving and heartfelt thread that proved to be truly emotional. I like participating in that sort of thing.

It doesn't have to be super heavy, it could be just talking about something stupid you did with a knife. But it is fun to participate.

Perhaps not very creative but I've been thinking about doing a GAW where contestants have to guess the mileage on my car. If I do, I'll post a picture of my car and give some casual clues like mileage when purchased, model year, my driving habits, etc. And of course, a picture of the knife.

Contestants would be allowed one guess per 24 hours and if nobody gets it right the closest guess without going over at the close of the GAW wins.

Just something I've thought about doing.

Nicely done on the 10 years.

I personally really like it when a GAW has some kind of wrinkle. Whether it is a funny winner selection method, or requires some extra effort on the part of entrants. I just really enjoy the extra level of participation. Glennbad did a wonderful GAW recently that involved everybody sharing stories about their dads. It was a moving and heartfelt thread that proved to be truly emotional. I like participating in that sort of thing.

It doesn't have to be super heavy, it could be just talking about something stupid you did with a knife. But it is fun to participate.
+5K!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I agree completely with abbydaddy. I enjoy GAWs that require participants to go beyond "I'm in" to require some info about the entrant. I really like finding out a little more about fellow BF members, and I think this sort of thing helps build the already-impressive level of community on The Porch.
Congrats on the upcoming decade milestone! :cool::cool:

- GT

A definite +1 to adding a story or picture or guess to your GAW. I did a July GAW that required a favorite Christmas tale and a Thanksgiving GAW that required people to say what they are thankful for.

One thing I would add is considerations for International participants: whether they are allowed, who pays for shipping, etc.

Congrats on the 10 years!

thanks guys!appreciate the advice, guess i need to get busy on the particulars
gene

I tend to like the ones that get folks thinking of the upcoming season (whatever it may be) by having them regale us with a story from their past that occurred in said season.

Congrats on the 10 yrs.

+5K!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I agree completely with abbydaddy. I enjoy GAWs that require participants to go beyond "I'm in" to require some info about the entrant. I really like finding out a little more about fellow BF members, and I think this sort of thing helps build the already-impressive level of community on The Porch.
Congrats on the upcoming decade milestone! :cool::cool:

- GT
Congratulations on the 10 years mark! that's awhile.

i agree w/ getting to know folks. I have met and spoke w/ alot if not all really great guys on this forum in the last 2 years.

i also have gained alot of knife knowledge along the way. (my avatar/my rehandle).

maybe ask a history question about knives. for example " how many heads on average were lopped off per day by Dr. Guillotine's new invention during the worst part of the French Revolution? (AKA)"the reign of terror"

answer: some estimates are as high as 109.5 heads per day. :confused::eek::oops:o_O:rolleyes:

Anyway , have fun w/ it . thank you.

I recently did one for a Case, jigged rosewood, Sodbuster Jr.. The twist was that I only revealed that I was giving away a Case knife. I asked the entrants to guess the model, the scale material, and the steel type. I occasionally dropped a clue. To my surprise, there wasn't as much activy as I expected. Nonetheless, a member ended up with a lnib Case Sodbuster Jr.!

All great ideas! I very much agree with what others have said. Something fun or interesting, seasonal connection, give it a twist of some sort. Whatever can create a conversation or get the folks to open up a bit more beyond the standard "I'm in". It's a very kind gesture on your part whatever you end up doing.

As others have said, the most enjoyable giveaways are those that elicit some sort of participation from the entrants, getting folks to post a photo or story based on a theme or idea, maybe something that relates to the knife being given away, etc.

That said, the best thing about doing a giveaway is that you can do it however you want!

I have quite a bit of experience with this stuff. My favorite folks to donate to are deployed military and law enforcement/first responders. It's nice when you get a "thank you" but keep your expectations in check. My most enjoyable GAW's has always been to individuals: young soldiers or young law-enforcement, ...primarily folks who really don't yet have the extra bucks to spend on a nice knife.
If you do specify the GAW to a specific group, aka military or LE, be careful that you don't get scammed by a pretender. That hurts when/if you find that out.
It's a decent thing to want to help somebody out a little bit. It generates nice feelings inside that will last.

I hope it goes well whatever you do- I do Photo Contests of Knives- this usually brings out the best of the Photographer in us- since I have been here I have witnessed a Massive increase in the quality of the Shots with thought of presentation etc.

Back