Recommendation? Thinking of something new...Para3 vs ZT0450

I haven't bought a non traditional knife in a long time. Have a few bigger folders. Para 2 gets alot of pocket time. Was looking at some stuff and decided I wanna go S35VN. Probably a bit smaller too. Looked around and pretty much came down to Para 3 brown and ZT 0450 full titanium handle. Given that I think the Para 2 fits like a glove, how would the others feel? No one around here has any decent knives to hold...lol. any pros or cons with these and any other suggestions? Just for edc. Thanks

I haven't bought a non traditional knife in a long time. Have a few bigger folders. Para 2 gets alot of pocket time. Was looking at some stuff and decided I wanna go S35VN. Probably a bit smaller too. Looked around and pretty much came down to Para 3 brown and ZT 0450 full titanium handle. Given that I think the Para 2 fits like a glove, how would the others feel? No one around here has any decent knives to hold...lol. any pros or cons with these and any other suggestions? Just for edc. Thanks
ZT 0450 is a great little knife, but some people find the handle to be a little too small.

ZT 0450 is a great little knife, but some people find the handle to be a little too small.

I'm one of those people.
The Para 3 quickly became one of my favorite knives, while the 0450 is just sitting in a drawer with all the other knives I don't like. But, it is a fantastic flipper, and the bladeshape is cooler than the PM3.

You should try to feel them in hand, if possible. I couldn't, so that was an expensive mistake.

I went with the S35vn Para 3 and I love it. Threw a deep carry pocket clip on in and it's s perfect little EDC blade.

C8-F135-F2-2-BDE-42-DA-B4-FF-C207414-A583-E.jpg

The nice thing about the 0450 is the slim profile, pretty much disappears in your pocket similar to a BM 940. The ergos on the Para 3 are a little better, but compared to a PM2 it may feel a little "cramped" but nothing you cant get used to.

The nice thing about the 0450 is the slim profile, pretty much disappears in your pocket similar to a BM 940. The ergos on the Para 3 are a little better, but compared to a PM2 it may feel a little "cramped" but nothing you cant get used to.

That is one gripe I have about some Spydercos is the width with the Spydie hole. Some pants with tighter pockets are a pain to get my keys out with a Spyderco. I like the compression lock. Only frame lock I have is a ZT550. Learning curve to keep pressure off the lock when opening. A Para 3 would complete the sizes since I have a Military and Para 2 already too! Decisions! There is a place about an hour away I might go to that has a huge knife selection. Prices are msrp though. Country Knives. Might head over in the morning. Also, is the s110v that much better than the s35vn?

Last edited:
It makes sense to go with the Para 3 if you already have other spydercos.

Personally, I'd pick the Para 3 over any ZT on the market. I'm just not a ZT fan. No real gripe with ZT; I just don't care for their products.
Then again, I don't like Chevy either.

Apples and oranges.

I "had" a ZT0450 G10 M390 Sprint and still "have" a Para 3. Just sold the 0450 because I thought it was "too small" and didn't fit w/the other ZTs in my collection. Still have the Para 3 but only keep it because I consider it an essential part of my Paramilitary set, which includes the 1, 2 & 3. I don't actually use/carry the Para 3 because I also think it's too small. I normally only carry knives 3.5-4" long.

If you like the Paramilitary 2, my guess is that you'd like the Para 3 better than the 0450. However, if you think the Para 3 is a just bit too small, I'd recommend you take a look at a Paramilitary 1, because it fits in terms of size between the Paramilitary 2 and the Para 3. However, the Paramilitary 1 only came in S30V or D2 blade steel. So, if you have your heart set on a knife made w/S35VN, then you may still prefer the Para 3.

Good luck making the choice that is right for you.

Last edited:
I have the Para3, and I like it a lot.
Feels comfortable in hand. Nice size for every day use.
Not my favourite folder, which is my Buck 112, but still very good.

Just ordered the Para. After reading some and some videos, if I went ZT, I would prob be better with a 452, but pros went to the Para. I feel the S35v was a better choose over s110v also. Nothing against the s30v of the regular one,but I have had some chipping on my ZT 0350. Never on any Spydercos though so far. All sharpened at same angle. Thanks for the input!

Wow! I like this Para 3! Action is super smooth. Blade is super sharp. Grip feels smaller than Para 2, but it is a natural transition and doesn't feel unnatural. Rides higher on the clip. That means less deep in the pocket, which is nice, but more sticks out the pocket top now. What are the pros and cons of the longer, factory length, deep carry clip vs the shorter ones? Not feeling any hots spots so far with factory clip. Haven't really worked out with the knife yet though.

The stock clip in right hand/tip up isn't bad if you don't mind non-deep carry. It's pretty non-obtrusive and feels good in the hand imo.

I've got both and carry both quite often, so it's a wash.

I think you'll be happy either way you go, or just go with the common reply around here, get both! lol

Glad you like it. The Para3 is definitely the better cutting tool. Both are too cramped for me unfortunately.

Back