Thinnest SAK with Philips Head

I have a Gerber multi-tool and a shard (but the philips on that is not a good size) I'd like to find something thin and light for days when I don't want to carry bulky can you recommend a sak.

My EDC is a Manager. It has a really swell ph driver/bottle opener, and I use the pen every day for making lists and checking them off. Attached to a micro light for a fob, it rides nicely in my fifth pocket. Before that, I used a Rambler for several years. Either one is a fine forget-about-until-you-need-it tool.

Victorinox's smallest Phillips driver is the Phillips/cap lifter combo tool on some of their 58mm key chain knives. The Rambler has knife blade, scissors, nail file, combo tool, tweezers, toothpick. Znapschatz's Manager replaces the Rambler's toothpick with a retractable ballpoint pen, very comfortable to write with if you extend the nail file.

show_image.php

There is also a Midnight Manager — not Norman Bates, it replaces the Manager's tweezers with an LED light. The light is bright enough to reveal things in the dark at close quarters, like a hole in an unlit staircase.

The Rally is a little smaller, it drops the scissors. This is mine.

rally2-jpg.548828

The Jetsetter drops the knife blade for air travel: just scissors, tweezers, toothpick and the Phillips/cap lifter combo tool. A fancy version, Jetsetter@Work, adds a 16GB USB flash drive and Alox scales for a fancy price.

These are all in production and there should be something for you. If you want a new one, Rally is probably cheapest.

Both the Tinker and the Small Tinker are two layer knives, with a Philips on the back. The difference between them is only the length. Either would be a good option if you want something larger than the 58mm knives listed above.

O.B.

The 58 mm Phillips is darned good, surprisingly good. It handles the tiny screws on calculators and kids toys, and — because of the long grooves on the top and bottom sides (if that makes any sense) — it does quite well with full-sized screws. And, it’s magnetzed. (And if it’s not, it easily becomes so with a few swipes with a magnet.)

The Tinker and Small Tinker — as discussed — are two-layer knives with Phillips, but they’re T-grip, which means they can’t be used in a lot of spaces.

The slimmest SAK with a no-compromises Phillips is, I believe, the long-discontinued Scientist. Been on my wishlist forever. Pricey. $120 or so these days.

The Cascade looks like the Wenger equiv of the Tinker. Great little knife, but no clear advantage.

The 58 mm Phillips is darned good, surprisingly good. It handles the tiny screws on calculators and kids toys, and — because of the long grooves on the top and bottom sides (if that makes any sense) — it does quite well with full-sized screws. And, it’s magnetzed. (And if it’s not, it easily becomes so with a few swipes with a magnet.)

The Tinker and Small Tinker — as discussed — are two-layer knives with Phillips, but they’re T-grip, which means they can’t be used in a lot of spaces.

The slimmest SAK with a no-compromises Phillips is, I believe, the long-discontinued Scientist. Been on my wishlist forever. Pricey. $120 or so these days.

Not too hard to make, though, I've done several. I've been carrying one with SwissBianco copper scales for quite a while now.

Back