This guy is awesome....

Gawd almighty! That dude is a freek! He dont have time to eat does he! Thats just nutz!!! I was kinda wondering about the quiver thing recently. I see cave drawings etc of these old guys using the atlatl and they as well carry more than one dart in the hand. If I dont have any place to lay them down I hold eight darts at once. I suck but the old fellas prolly had it figured out too.

Im still trying to hit the broad side of this barn:D

f173afb7eca452eaecabf7f34d67140b

Thats some awesome stuff BB!

Quiver and hand-carry doesn't have to be an either-or thing. Probably both were used according to circumstances, and maybe both at the same time. For example, a horseman might carry several weapons: sword, spear, bow and arrows. When wielding the sword or spear, the sensible place for arrows would be in a quiver. Even when using the bow, the fighter might have several arrows in hand and a larger supply kept in a quiver, maybe even tied down since they are not for immediate use.

Apart from any controversy, the guy in the video has amazing skill and he demonstrates that the bow was a much more versatile weapon than we usually see in films or in shooting competitions.

One thing that struck me was the relationship between speed and accuracy. In modern competitions the shooters are incredibly accurate and consistent. However, in a combat situation (obviously before the advent of efficient firearms), speed might be even more important. After all, the shooter has a relatively large target; you don't have to hit a one-inch bullseye to disable or kill an enemy. Of course it's different if the enemy is wearing armor or carrying a big shield, but that's a much more complicated discussion that can go on forever.

Jeez...what skill!

Right? I've been involved in the shooting sports for longer than I'd care to admit. Bullseye, combat, trap, international trap, skeet,..... and I'm fairly proficient. This individual would be a formidable adversary in close quarter combat plain and simple with his bow and exceptional skill level. No controversy here, the man is wickedly talanted and most here will recognize that. Rule #1, don't underestimate your aponent, if so you'll find yourself six feet under or on a funeral pyer in short order.

Well I dont care who you are? Thats one dead barn right there! And I killed it!

amazon indians use arrows that are essentially the same size as atlatl darts. how do they carry ammo? see below.
note the guy on the left is carrying a rather neat pole club for close in work. and an ID badge - civilization intrudes in the funniest places.

archers.jpg

amazon indians use arrows that are essentially the same size as atlatl darts. how do they carry ammo? see below.
note the guy on the left is carrying a rather neat pole club for close in work. and an ID badge - civilization intrudes in the funniest places.

View attachment 653645

A lot of the people in the background are wearing them ID badges too. Strange huh?

Lars Anderson is both beloved and hated in traditional archery circles depending on who you speak to.

I think he has definitely practiced long and hard to achieve a specific kind of archery which is definitely impressive to watch but i like many others believe he is utilizing vey light bows which are only a fraction of the draw weight and power and velocity of what would be minimal to take down large game or penetrate armor back in the day.

English archers regularly pulled bows over 100 lbs and many can do close to 200lbs.

My favorite bow the Qing Manchu bow was declared by one of the emperors that a bow suitable for military work be at least 80lbs draw.

It's still fun to watch the videos but I always have to keep in mind that it's being done with very light bows.

:)

Exactomundo! Still very impressive but the bow is like a little kids bow, probably 20 or 25 pounds max if even that.

Not to take away from the impressive once again but not real world.

I don't think there's a man alive that could do half that stuff with a 60# bow let alone a 80 or 100#.

Back in my hunting vertical days I used a 75# compound with 50 % drop at full draw and I was a far better man back in those days. Last time I tried I couldn't even pull it back. Guess I'm getting wimpy in downward spiral. Still wiry but wimpy.

The Qing Manchu bow is fascinating in its construction methods alone. It almost looks unrecognizable unstrung. Id love to find a good one for a good price but not likely.

...It's still fun to watch the videos but I always have to keep in mind that it's being done with very light bows.

:)

Yes, and yes, and since it's video and not live, I wonder how many "takes" it took for some of those shots.

The only thing I've ever seen in movies that resembles Anderson's shooting is Legolas in Lord of the Rings, and some of the other elves in the second Hobbit movie (I haven't yet seen the third in that trilogy).

Like all discussions of combat weapons, context is everything. The kind of shooting that Anderson does is not intended for distant targets or opponents wearing heavy armor. As for hunting, I'll bet he could bring home plenty of rabbits and squirrels with that light bow.

As for kronckew's photo of the Amazon Indians wearing ID badges around their necks, maybe it's a recent photo taken at the Brazil Olympics. Competitors need badges to get in.

There is still a time and place for light bows.

I use a light bow for when I'm fatigued or want to practice form to consolidate muscle memory.

Also I am using a light bow to build up with my new ring that does not have shield prongs for resting the string as it emphasizes a different tendon than my current ring.

However I can't say anyone is going to be harnessing the spirit and strength of a Manchu bannerman, Mongol Arvat man, or samurai warrior shooting with a 20-30lb bow ;)

I've had 2 surgeries for torn ligaments on my left shoulder (I'm a righty). I'm not as strong on that side as I used to be, but my shoulder is pretty stable. The last surgery was 2004. I shoot around 55 lbs. I can't always hold steady for long periods of time, but I get by fine. I limit my shots to 20-25 yards because I know that is my effective range.
read more about Kids Bow And Arrow !!!!!

Back