This is not a drill (traditional knives)

JohnDF

Gold Member
Ever wonder which knives you'd pick if you were forced to choose between all of them in your collection?
We've seen the threads, we've given our opinions, we've made our "let's pretend" choices.

Now I am living the reality :eek:

At least for a couple of months :D

We are getting our house remodeled and we basically have to pack up the whole house and move out while the work happens. I packed up all my knives this morning and was forced to pick five of them that would come to the apartment and live with me for a couple of months. These will be the only knives I have available to me, all the others will be boxed up in storage.

It was actually easier than I thought to pick my top five. These are the knives that get pulled out of the drawer and carried the most. There were a few others begging to be included, but in the end I'm happy with these choices...

Interesting..... no caplifters? You limiting yourself to domestic beers? LOL

I really only "need" a good strong blade to cut with, and I like a pen type blade for fingernail maintenance....:rolleyes:
A caplifter of some type would be nice, but not necessary (still have some church keys around)
Attractive wood would be nice, but not necessary... style is second to function.

Dang..... I don't like this game of yours... :( :D

Ever wonder which knives you'd pick if you were forced to choose between all of them in your collection?
We've seen the threads, we've given our opinions, we've made our "let's pretend" choices.

Now I am living the reality :eek:

At least for a couple of months :D

We are getting our house remodeled and we basically have to pack up the whole house and move out while the work happens. I packed up all my knives this morning and was forced to pick five of them that would come to the apartment and live with me for a couple of months. These will be the only knives I have available to me, all the others will be boxed up in storage.

It was actually easier than I thought to pick my top five. These are the knives that get pulled out of the drawer and carried the most. There were a few others begging to be included, but in the end I'm happy with these choices...

Good group. Any one would suffice, really, but it's nice to have several. :thumbsup:

If I had to choose five, these would probably be the ones:
QqW6YAn.jpg

L to R:
Case medium stockman
Rosewood lambsfoot
Case mini trapper
GEC ebony #15
Case trapper

(Could easily trade the mini trapper for a Victorinox Tinker, though; but I do prefer Delrin to Cellidor.)

Five knives and they're all slipjoints? Give me some variety.

This #73 is rugged enough to serve as an EDC. The stag should do a passable job as a gent's knife.

28773630337_fd615e9dbc_c.jpg

A puukko makes a great belt knife. Just the thing for outdoor jaunts.

12680620115_b3f7c1cf92_c.jpg

Can't forget my big knives. The khukuri is a superb chopper. The bowie is for social calls.

14429639979_c3e30acdf0_c.jpg

Don't want to go without a good "black knife."

43522184334_d2139079c7_c.jpg

My 5 while I'm at the phisical therapy/rehabilitation place is a Buck 110, Ulster Number 10 Barlow, "Remington" Canoe, and two Sgian Dubh (one 7 inch over-all, the other 9 inches).
Surprisingly, no one has said a word to me about the knife on my belt or in my sock. They can't see the one in my pocket or sporan.

Five knives and they're all slipjoints? Give me some variety.

This #73 is rugged enough to serve as an EDC. The stag should do a passable job as a gent's knife.

28773630337_fd615e9dbc_c.jpg

A puukko makes a great belt knife. Just the thing for outdoor jaunts.

12680620115_b3f7c1cf92_c.jpg

Can't forget my big knives. The khukuri is a superb chopper. The bowie is for social calls.

14429639979_c3e30acdf0_c.jpg

Don't want to go without a good "black knife."

43522184334_d2139079c7_c.jpg
I'm in the market for a kukri, since I didn't win the give-away :mad::(
I'm not any kind of authority on them, but is yours the ang khola (sp?) ... is that what the hollowed out area by the spine makes it? That's the version I think I want. It's supposed to make it a better chopper, somehow...

I don't think I could get down to just five. Not too long ago a thread ran about "What Seven Would you Keep" and these are the seven I chose.

Mlu3U5R.jpg

Five just doesn't cut it for me John. Just how small is this apartment you're moving into. Heck, if it's lack of drawer space:eek:, keep them in your shoes.:rolleyes:

Good luck with your move and remodel.

That's an M43. The hollow along the spine is nothing more than a simplified Sword of Shiva.

This is an Ang Khola. The angle isn't great, but you see that hollowed area near the bend? That hollowed area is what makes an Ang Khola.

21116387614_7e8c2a6c06_c.jpg

As to khukuris, they're like slipjoints. It's largely a matter of taste, get the model you want. They're all superlative choppers, as long as you stay away from the long, narrow blades.

I don't rotate carry alot, so I'd have no trouble picking just three.
1) Wharncliffe Pemberton, the only knife I've pocketed since Februrary.
2) SAK Pioneer, just because it's undeniably useful.
3) 2018 Buck forum knife, a knife that I really love but just hasn't made it into my pocket lately.

John, I don't envy you spending a couple of months away from home. :eek: We once had major remodeling of the main floor of our house, and had to stay out of the kitchen and study for a while, followed by banishment from the 3 front rooms after the initial work was done. But we could still sleep upstairs, wash dishes in the basement laundry tubs, use the microwave and toaster on top of the old piano, etc. I hope you adjust to new surroundings without too much difficulty! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

But you'll still have your car, won't you? I have all my knives in 5 Plano boxes (about 14" x 9" x 2" each), and I'll bet they'd all fit under the front seats of my Ford Focus! I'll pick the 5 boxes, rather than 5 individual knives! :rolleyes:

How "new to you" are your 5 selections? I wonder if there's a "recency effect" that influences us to prefer some of our newest models. I know your ebony WCFL and your GEC #29 are both fairly recent arrivals, although your rosewood lambsfoot is not, right?

- GT

Back