this is why we can't have nice things

so I thought my first blade was a little to thick. since I have no way of checking since I have no calipersi decided to make a gough knife jig. long story short I screwed up my blade so now I'm going to use the handle as a way to practice my bevels
before:

after:

Not, "This is why we can't have nice things", but "This is why jigs are bad."

At first I thought you were talking about the plunge, but now I see the nice curved edge was ground straight. Yeah, that's not good...

Looks like you had your eye bolt way too high for way too long. Use a marker to color the blade so you know where your file is making contact. Once your edge is about as thick as a dime, be sure to drop the eye bolt as soon as you reach the edge, which will move the file contact point back up and you start working down again.

it's all part of the learning curve chief... IMHO jigs can be very helpful in keeping things consistent and I still use one of my own to get my primary grinds where I want them but more importantly than how you grind is how often you check your progress. This will help you catch problems such as the one you ran into before they become too bad to correct. Don't let it bug you... there isn't one of us here that hasn't screwed up multiple blades over the years to get to the point where we screw up less. I still have a pile of guards I messed up by not checking fit enough between file strokes.

See how you start working the edge near the tip sooner? You have to keep a close eye on it.
a6bab2b19b869fde13d1e69df095c45f.jpg

You'll get the feel for it.

Not, "This is why we can't have nice things", but "This is why jigs are bad."

Stacy you are far more knowledgeable than me so when you say something I usually just shut up and listen but in this case I strongly disagree with you. Clearly this is not a fault of tooling. Unless defective it's not really fair to a a jig is bad. This is a case of getting carried away and not paying attention to what is being done.

We have all done it in some situation at one time or another. The OP can take it a lesson that tooling doesn't replace thinking and learn the limitations of his tools, how to use them more effectively, and what he needs to compensate for.

One of my favourite saying (and one i constantly need to be reminded of) is: If you don't pay attention, you will pay in some other way.

My problem with jigs is that they are just tools. Tools are great in skilled hands ... and dangerous in inexperienced ones. A 48"chain saw makes cutting trees down easier, but you don't hand one to a guy his first day ion the woods. A cleaver will cut meat fast and efficiently in a skilled butcher's hands .. but it will ruin a rack of ribs and possibly remove some fingers in the hands of someone not trained. I could go on, but I think you get the point.

A tool has no mind, hands, or intelligence. It is only as good as the hands, mind, and intelligence of the user. Used wrong, they will mess up far more than they help.

In this case the original blade was fine. Valnut's filing skills were fine. The jig messed it up because there are many variables in the blade shape the jig cannot compensate for. Valnut would have been far better to continue with sandpaper and whatever type equipment he had been using. The result would have been far better than the one he got with the jig.

By learning how to file and grind a blade by eye and hand one can get perfect alignment most every time. Sure it takes some practice and there will be some learning curve, but once those skills are learned, then you will know how to use a tool for those tasks. You will learn how to move a bevel or line one way or another if needed ... no jig can do that for you. This is why I usually suggest making your first several blades with files and sandpaper rather than on a belt grinder ( unless you are already skilled with a belt grinder).

Stacy you are far more knowledgeable than me so when you say something I usually just shut up and listen but in this case I strongly disagree with you. Clearly this is not a fault of tooling. Unless defective it's not really fair to a a jig is bad. This is a case of getting carried away and not paying attention to what is being done.

We have all done it in some situation at one time or another. The OP can take it a lesson that tooling doesn't replace thinking and learn the limitations of his tools, how to use them more effectively, and what he needs to compensate for.

One of my favourite saying (and one i constantly need to be reminded of) is: If you don't pay attention, you will pay in some other way.

I just finished on this blank one side on my file jig setup , and I can bet that this blank will be more accurately finished then any other blank free hand grind on 2X72 belt grinder ... Under accurately I mind on completely symmetrical both sides, perfectly center line, and really full flat from plunge line to tip grind

2cgztvq.jpg

Last edited:
My problem with jigs is that they are just tools. Tools are great in skilled hands ... and dangerous in inexperienced ones. A 48"chain saw makes cutting trees down easier, but you don't hand one to a guy his first day ion the woods. A cleaver will cut meat fast and efficiently in a skilled butcher's hands .. but it will ruin a rack of ribs and possibly remove some fingers in the hands of someone not trained. I could go on, but I think you get the point.

A tool has no mind, hands, or intelligence. It is only as good as the hands, mind, and intelligence of the user. Used wrong, they will mess up far more than they help.

In this case the original blade was fine. Valnut's filing skills were fine. The jig messed it up because there are many variables in the blade shape the jig cannot compensate for. Valnut would have been far better to continue with sandpaper and whatever type equipment he had been using. The result would have been far better than the one he got with the jig.

By learning how to file and grind a blade by eye and hand one can get perfect alignment most every time. Sure it takes some practice and there will be some learning curve, but once those skills are learned, then you will know how to use a tool for those tasks. You will learn how to move a bevel or line one way or another if needed ... no jig can do that for you. This is why I usually suggest making your first several blades with files and sandpaper rather than on a belt grinder ( unless you are already skilled with a belt grinder).

this is EXACTLY what happened. for me it was much easier to free hand and my any adjustments easier freehand instead of messing with an eye bolt and trying to figure out what the correct angle I should us with the adjustments. then having to constantly pull the file out and readjust the eye bolt and hope it's at the right angle. I tend to stop every few minutes and cover the blade in marker. when using the jig I noticed alot of different angles and I could never really get it flat.
the main reason why I messed the blade up was frustration. I did I much better job freehand and when I was using the jig it wasn't going well so I got kinda pissed. I realized I ground the edge off my blade so I went to file it down. that was my mistake now I have a 6in practice piece. if a jig works for you, great. but it's definitely not for me.
question : how thick should the blade before HT? I had the edge at about 1mm (before jacking it up) but the belly of the blade?

this is EXACTLY what happened. for me it was much easier to free hand and my any adjustments easier freehand instead of messing with an eye bolt and trying to figure out what the correct angle I should us with the adjustments. then having to constantly pull the file out and readjust the eye bolt and hope it's at the right angle. I tend to stop every few minutes and cover the blade in marker. when using the jig I noticed alot of different angles and I could never really get it flat.
the main reason why I messed the blade up was frustration. I did I much better job freehand and when I was using the jig it wasn't going well so I got kinda pissed. I realized I ground the edge off my blade so I went to file it down. that was my mistake now I have a 6in practice piece. if a jig works for you, great. but it's definitely not for me.
question : how thick should the blade before HT? I had the edge at about 1mm (before jacking it up) but the belly of the blade?

valknut , don't give up . File jig is good tool to grind blade . If you like I can make this days some short tutorial how I do that . But remember first this , it is very important when you switch the side you must fixed a blade in same position ..

Last edited:
i guess I came close to ruining a blade or two when I first used my jig. But by constantly checking my progress I am able to make the corrections I need to to get where I want. Now I find the jig very quick to use although I've never used a proper grinder.
This is the third blade I made and I used a jig to shape the bevels

I learned a lot about how to use my jig while making this

I just don't think the jig is for me I felt alot more comfortable free handing. I might try again later with the jig grenfells, that's a sweet looking blade.

Jigs aren't for everyone. I tried using one on my 2x72 and it just complicated things. I confess I had Already been freehand grinding for a bit, so I just wanted to try something out. Do what works for you. Of course to find out what works for you, you WILL make mistakes. It's just part of the learning curve.

I mean it's my first knife so I wasn't really expecting too much but I put alot of heart and soul into it

Here's a hint:
When metal starts disappearing where you don't want it to-stop filing.

I don't care much for jigs, in my mind it's kinda cheating. Not saying it is but in my feeble mind it feels that way. Free hand grinding is where it's at whether it's with a file or a belt. I enjoy grinding by hand and honing my skills. I think where hand filing shines is when someone that really knows how to run a file does draw filing. I don't know if you can do draw filing with this jig or not. When using a jig you must have proper technique where when grinding/filing by hand you must have skills. I guess it all comes down to how far you take calling something hand made.

Wow sorry for the rant been a grumpy day.

I've found I can screw up a knife just as easily with or without a jig. The best way to increase your chances of a good outcome with any method is practice and more practice.

Last edited:
I do not use a grinding jig, but there is nothing wrong with using one.

Many people are hypocrites when it comes to using "Jigs" they will use them in their wood work, metal work, machining, jewelry making etc. But they get on a high horse when it comes to knifemaking.

There is a learning curve to using a file jig like aarons or a sled Jig like used by well respected makers.

Use what you feel you need to. This craft is not a stagnate one, as you learn to use one tool it will lead to using another and one day you might end up grinding free hand or not.

At least you are not putting together a kit knife and claiming you made it to sell to the public. That is far to common these days.

Back