This just in ~ from España • The Navajas of ArtesaniaHerreros

RayseM

Platinum Member
Just have to share with you all, my new custom :thumbsup: :cool:

Here is my new, really pretty and comfortable, in the hand, folder from the shop of José Antonio Herreros as seen in another BF post HERE.

A modern classic - not quite the traditional Navajas and not quite a stiletto. José writes "it looks like a Albaceteña folding knife with straight point". If I understand correctly the Albaceteña is very similar but has a harpoon tip blade and likely more curve in the handle. 3-1/2" blade makes this one very useable.

I emailed José after seeing the thread linked above and after a brief and fun exchange, I ordered my own. This one without his "big" maker's mark on the blade. Very nice is that the José sets his initials under the palanquilla and with a nice touch - he has a J and an H on either side of the blade set into the little copper inclusion. Nice huh :)

SPECS -
• Blade Steel 440b - Shiny and very sharp.
• Handle - Stag
• Blade length - 3.5" tip to bolster
• Over All Length 7.75"
• Other metal details - stainless

More Pics -

This is how it arrived

I was very pleased to find that it fits beautifully in one of my Max Capdebarthes leather sheaths. This is not a pocket knife! This way it will get carried and used as I intended.:cool:

All in all I am exceptionally well pleased with my first knife from the house of ArtesaniaHerreros. Still too new to give a detailed review but my impressions, after a a few days of playing, is that it will be an excellent and useful knife. Lock up is solid. Pull is about a 6. The palanquilla requires a bit of practice but not my first, so I can handle it. :) There is no spring that snaps this one closed. Once I release the palanquilla I need to complete closing the blade.

The ONLY missing element is a nail nick or groove. Never thought to ask for one BUT I think I will need to screw my courage up and somehow add an opening aid. I have encouraged José to incorporate some opening aid in future versions. This is a broad and shiny (read - slippery) blade with plenty of surface to grasp for opening BUT the tension is such that with wet or arthritic hands - or - if one is moving too fast (or mindlessly :confused:) while opening the knife one could easily do damage - that sharp edge is a close slip away. :eek: I will head over to Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment to see if I can get some help on how best to incorporate a slot or stud or someway that will make this a more ready opener.

Not to go out on a negative - this is a very fine knife!!

Here is another glamor shot ~

Thanks for taking an interest.

Ray

Last edited:
Congratulations Ray, that is a real beauty :) I have a couple of those belt sheaths, and they are great :thumbsup:

An interesting cross between ancient and modern. Use of large slabs of antler like that is very typical of Iberian knives I think.

Plenty of blade to grip for opening but as it's polished it could be sometimes tricky. Possibly you could get an artisan to grind a small nail nick near the tip-that would really facilitate opening.

An interesting cross between ancient and modern. Use of large slabs of antler like that is very typical of Iberian knives I think.

Plenty of blade to grip for opening but as it's polished it could be sometimes tricky. Possibly you could get an artisan to grind a small nail nick near the tip-that would really facilitate opening.

Any volunteers? I own a Foredom and a regular drill press but I hate to experiment. Would need something to practice on and a good idea of the objective - all this without any experience with this type of fine metal work. Even a patch of some stippling on either side of the blade might provide enough purchase. The polish is the real problem.

José
rightfully didn't want to compromise the esthetics with a nick but I think a crescent that follows the curved form of the handle (when the blade is closed) could look nice as well as be very useful.

I'm open to suggestions but PMs or another discussion in the MT&E forum would be a better place to explore the options.

Thanks everyone, for your comments.

Ray

Very nice. That external back spring first says “Okapi”, but it is obviously a much nicer knife.

It won’t hurt to wait a bit before carving up the blade, which looks very pinchable.

Last edited:
Very nice. That external back spring first says “Okapi”, but it is obviously a much nicer knife.

It won’t hurt to wait a bit before carving up the blade, which looks very pinchable.
The external spring is very old and dates much before the Okapi, with or without palanquilla. It needs a much more experienced blacksmith than a forged spring, but will reduce the chances of breakage.
Mongin (made in Nogent).
48102-3_8327.jpg

As I understand it, the OKAPI style knife ratchets as it opens or closes (2 or 3 little stops along the path). This one has no stops except when fully opened or closed. I once had a big Navaja that ratcheted - not this little one though.

And yes, I won't rush into modifying the blade - if ever. Could be that over time, as I use the blade it will open more easily and my nail nick issue will be resolved without the need for my intervention. I hope so. Loving it, nonetheless!

Ray

As I understand it, the OKAPI style knife ratchets as it opens or closes (2 or 3 little stops along the path). This one has no stops except when fully opened or closed. I once had a big Navaja that ratcheted - not this little one though.

And yes, I won't rush into modifying the blade - if ever. Could be that over time, as I use the blade it will open more easily and my nail nick issue will be resolved without the need for my intervention. I hope so. Loving it, nonetheless!

Ray

The ratchet knife is only one of several models that use the external backspring. The others are slipjoints. The Biltong is a particular favorite of mine.

I had always assumed the external backspring was an old design that antedated the Okapi. But until Jolipapa’s post, the Okapi was the only one I had seen. Thank you for that.

Been trying to come up with a name for this (I think) new style of straight blade Spanish folder. I understood that the word navajas always referred to the more curved version. However I read from Wikipedia " The etymology of the word navaja is derived from the Latin novacula, meaning razor, and the Andalusian knife known as the navaja is thought to have derived from the navaja de afeitar, or straight razor used for shaving." and "One of the oldest folding knife patterns still in production, the first true navajas originated in the Andalusian region of southern Spain. In Spain, the term navaja is often used to generally describe all folding-blade knives."

It follows then that this knife can certainly be called a Navajas. To differentiate it from the more traditional pattern I will call it the Navajas Herreros (Americanized to The Hero :rolleyes:) and, of course, the whole world will follow my lead. ;)

Ray

Last edited:
Just have to share with you all, my new custom :thumbsup: :cool:
Here is another glamor shot ~

View attachment 1005112

Thanks for taking an interest.

Ray
Congrats on getting a ravishing knife, Ray!!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Been trying to come up with a name for this (I think) new style of straight blade Spanish folder. I understood that the word navajas always referred to the more curved version. However I read from Wikipedia " The etymology of the word navaja is derived from the Latin novacula, meaning razor, and the Andalusian knife known as the navaja is thought to have derived from the navaja de afeitar, or straight razor used for shaving." and "One of the oldest folding knife patterns still in production, the first true navajas originated in the Andalusian region of southern Spain. In Spain, the term navaja is often used to generally describe all folding-blade knives."

It follows then that this knife can certainly be called a Navajas. To differentiate it from the more traditional pattern I will call it the Navajas Herreros (Americanized to The Hero :rolleyes:) and, of course, the whole world will follow my lead. ;)

Ray
That makes sense to me. My daughter lived in Spain for several years, and I went to visit her for about 3 weeks starting Christmas Eve 2014. She took me to visit several towns in Spain, and I bought knives as souvenirs in each one. So I became interested in Spanish pocket knives that way, and remain interested (although my daughter has moved back to the US, so getting Spanish cutlery isn't quite as easy as it used to be).

But my understanding is that navaja is used for folding knives in Spain, as you point out. For example, I have a couple of Spanish knives that are essentially like Sodbuster Jrs, and in Spain they're called navaja de campaña (campaign knife), and navaja de pastor is a shepherd's knife.

(Interestingly, when I used an online Spanish-to-English translator to check my memory for the terminology, navaja alone translated to "razor", but when I changed to navaja de (before I had a chance to type my third word) the translation switched to "pocket knife".)

- GT

In Spanish the word "navaja" refers to any folding knife. There is no talk of "folding knives" is spoken of "navajas." Then there are countless patterns: navaja albaceteña, Navaja sevillana, navaja campera, navaja capaora, navaja de afeitar...
And a fixed knife is a "cuchillo".

I didn't expect getting all this audience! haha,

On the first place let me thank you Ray, from the bottom of my hearth for publishing my folding knife, you are a trully gentleman and you knew what you wanted from the very same moment you wrote me an email. It was so nice to chat with you and heard about your story. It has been a pleasure to deal with you, more than selling folding knives what I love is to communicate with all kind of people around the world, and it has been a pleasure to know you Ray, I meant it.

Concerning your posts, there are several inquiries I think I have to answer,

Starting for the very to question, the blade is 440b, and yes, I am planning to include a nail nick, in fact, that's available for any of my designs as well as engraving initials or basic customizations, if someone ask for it (and it's not too much the effort) it's just free of charge, you just need to ask for it :). (Ray, if anytime you have troubles with your folding knife and you have to send it back for a quick repair I will add that nail nick for you ;])

Now, you are all right, navaja is a sui generis term for "folding knife" and cuchillo is the name of "fixed folding knife", but there are many navajas styles like Llasi pointed out, there are navajas from Albacete, sevillian, camperas, etc. This one doesn't have a name, or at least one that I know, I just used the template I have for my Albaceteña folding knives and make some quick adjustments to reduce the curved shape.

In order to conclude, Ray, you got me rolling on the floor with "the hero" term hahaha, thanks a lot :).

If any of you would like to take a look to my other folding knives you can visit my website where you could find a little story of my life, my catalog/shop and some other stuff (I am planning to including a blog and a huge spanish to english dictionary of terms which will I hope you find interesting)

Thank you all for your kind words guys, keep the hard work up!

Best regards,

José Antonio Herreros

My pleasure, my new friend :thumbsup: All heart felt. The knife is spectacular, and yes, could use a nail nick. :rolleyes: :)

Ray

My pleasure, my new friend :thumbsup: All heart felt. The knife is spectacular, and yes, could use a nail nick. :rolleyes: :)

Ray
Your new Spanish knife is a real beauty. I appreciate the thread on these knives that are otherwise difficult to learn much about. Some time back you started a thread on your search for a Laguiole which led me eventually to my first FP. Some wonderful European artisans just waiting to be discovered. Thanks Ray.

Any volunteers? I own a Foredom and a regular drill press but I hate to experiment. Would need something to practice on and a good idea of the objective - all this without any experience with this type of fine metal work. Even a patch of some stippling on either side of the blade might provide enough purchase. The polish is the real problem.

José
rightfully didn't want to compromise the esthetics with a nick but I think a crescent that follows the curved form of the handle (when the blade is closed) could look nice as well as be very useful.

I'm open to suggestions but PMs or another discussion in the MT&E forum would be a better place to explore the options.

Thanks everyone, for your comments.

Ray
I wouldn't mess up this beautiful blade with a nail nick. Just me... If it's pinchable, let it be neat. Again, just me...The cleaner the blade, the better the knife (just made up on the fly... but I hope it hits home).

Back