This just in ~ from España • The Navajas of ArtesaniaHerreros

Heck of an idea - self invite. :D Could very well happen. I'd enjoy that. I won't loose my knife in the lake either. :thumbsup:
Could be August though before I can break away. For some reason people want their kitchens all done this time of year :confused: (I build & install cabinetry and furniture, for those of you who might wonder what the latter meant.)

I'll be in touch Don. Thanks for being so willing :) You could regret it.

Ray

Heck of an idea - self invite. :D Could very well happen. I'd enjoy that. I won't loose my knife in the lake either. :thumbsup:
Could be August though before I can break away. For some reason people want their kitchens all done this time of year :confused: (I build & install cabinetry and furniture, for those of you who might wonder what the latter meant.)

I'll be in touch Don. Thanks for being so willing :) You could regret it.

Ray
Maybe get a Saturday / Sunday on the calendar....
We might regret it if we don't ;)

Was visiting with my Mother yesterday - her 91st birthday. Not at her best these days - physically healthy as can be, though bodily and mentally weakened - confined to a wheelchair and fading into the world of dementia :(

BUT - the cool story is that even though, within the first 1/2 hour of my being with her she could not understand how I had known where to find her (hanging out with old people can make you laugh - tenderly and in recognition - knowing that you could be next) and more of the same befuddlement when my cousin arrived, then my brother joined us and before long she began to rally her wits - I pulled out my new ArtesaniaHerreros, Navaja Armada to open a few cards for her and she looks at the knife and says - "That's a nice. I have never seen that one before. Is it new?" :eek: :) Of course, I was delighted that she noticed but even more amazed. Pretty cool José @ArtesaniaHerreros - you made my Mother look up :thumbsup:

Why not. It is a beauty!

Ray

Last edited:
Was visiting with my Mother yesterday - her 91st birthday. Not at her best these days - physically healthy as can be though bodily and mentally weakened - confined to a wheelchair and fading into the world of dementia :(

BUT - the cool story is that even though, within the first 1/2 hour of my being with her she could not understand how I had known where to find her (hanging out with old people can make you laugh - tenderly and in recognition - knowing that you could be next) and more of the same befuddlement when my cousin arrived, then my brother joined us and before long she began to rally her wits - I pulled out my new ArtesaniaHerreros, Navaja Armada to open a few cards for her and she looks at the knife and says - "That's a nice. I have never seen that one before. Is it new?" :eek: :) Of course, I was delighted that she noticed but even more amazed. Pretty cool José @ArtesaniaHerreros - you made my Mother look up :thumbsup:

Why not. It is a beauty!

View attachment 1141769

Ray
Wonderful story Ray. I recently walked down that same road with my dad. That Navaja Armada is truly a striking piece of cutlery. Thanks for sharing.

Was visiting with my Mother yesterday - her 91st birthday. Not at her best these days - physically healthy as can be though bodily and mentally weakened - confined to a wheelchair and fading into the world of dementia :(

Why not. It is a beauty!

View attachment 1141769

Ray
Nice moment of magic Ray...
Cherish the moments. There's nothing like an ArtesaniaHerreros navaja; there's no one like mom. No doubt, the combination must be sacred for you :)

I lost my mother 4 years ago. I miss her openness, her ability to listen and connect, engage... May your navaja be the key to her attention, her light and her soul.

Why not. It is a beauty!

View attachment 1141769

Ray
I like your knife Ray , but I like your story about your Mother even more . Two of my very favorite days were the days that I sat and talked and listened to my Dad and and then a favorite uncle when they still had their mental facilities . Days to never forget . I would encourage all you folks who have older loved ones to do such a thing .

Harry

I like your knife Ray , but I like your story about your Mother even more . Two of my very favorite days were the days that I sat and talked and listened to my Dad and and then a favorite uncle when they still had their mental facilities . Days to never forget . I would encourage all you folks who have older loved ones to do such a thing .

Harry
It is a great story. I just spent a couple of days in San Antonio visiting my 85-year-old uncle. We took him to Mi Tierra, a Mexican restaurant which opened in 1941 and never closes. They are always busy, and have mariachis there all the time. My uncle sings along with them--he know all the words. (He's a regular there--or was. He can't drive himself anymore, but I like to take him when I am in town). This is a picture of the entrance to the restaurant bar:
1gTaD5H.jpg

(Stopped in again with my wife for some beer the next afternoon on a very hot day.)
We had fun watching Frank Sinatra and Louis Prima videos at his apartment later. Of course, he has seen them perform live. He recently--last year-- saw Tony Bennett perform in San Antonio. He first saw him in New York in the 1950s when he was in the Air Force, then again in Corpus Christi in the 1970s.
Here's Prima:
And a navaja:
j66vQnt.jpg

Last edited:
Was visiting with my Mother yesterday - her 91st birthday. Not at her best these days - physically healthy as can be, though bodily and mentally weakened - confined to a wheelchair and fading into the world of dementia :(

Why not. It is a beauty!

View attachment 1141769

Ray

Great story Ray :) :thumbsup:

It is a great story. I just spent a couple of days in San Antonio visiting my 85-year-old uncle. We took him to Mi Tierra, a Mexican restaurant which opened in 1941 and never closes. They are always busy, and have mariachis there all the time. My uncle sings along with them--he know all the words. (He's a regular there--or was. He can't drive himself anymore, but I like to take him when I am in town). This is a picture of the entrance to the restaurant bar:
1gTaD5H.jpg

(Stopped in again with my wife for some beer the next afternoon on a very hot day.)
We had fun watching Frank Sinatra and Louis Prima videos at his apartment later. Of course, he has seen them perform live. He recently--last year-- saw Tony Bennett perform in San Antonio. He first saw him in New York in the 1950s when he was in the Air Force, then again in Corpus Christi in the 1970s.
Here's Prima:
And a navaja:
j66vQnt.jpg

And another one Vince :) :thumbsup:

Sailing day with my sailing knife. Finally!!! So as promised - a few photos mise en scène.
(Sorry, mixing my romance languages ;))

Yup - getting to post again in the Hats & Knives thread :rolleyes:

Was a lovely day, though a bit too blustery for the wine and cheese run at which this knife would have shown its true worth :D

Can't wait to see José posting here again. Anyone have any new ArtesaniaHerreros Navajas incoming?
Let's see them - please.

Ray

Last edited:
Sailing day with my sailing knife. Finally!!! So as promised - a few photos mise en scène.

View attachment 1157555

View attachment 1157559

Was a lovely day, though a bit too blustery for the wine and cheese run at which this knife would have shown its true worth :D

Can't wait to see José posting here again. Anyone have any new ArtesaniaHerreros Navajas incoming?
Let's see them - please.

Ray
Nice weather there, Ray :thumbsup:
The custom navaja really shines :)

I love the reflection of the waves on the knife blade and how the upright blade with the hat to the right, mimics the mast and gaff rigged sail of the Friendship sloops in the back ground. Lucky photo, as I could not really see the screen in the bright sun and with wearing my polarized sunglasses. Truly a point and shoot. Came out splendidly, if I do say so myself :thumbsup: :)

Ray

View attachment 1157555

View attachment 1157559

Let's see them - please.

Ray

I have been wondering when this thread would pop up again :) Wonderful photos Ray, and that really is a special knife :thumbsup:

Hope Jose is well, and that we'll see him soon :thumbsup:

I have one of Jose's slipjoints on order, with a 1095 blade :thumbsup:

I received this slipjoint from Jose a couple of days ago. I took it out on a hike yesterday, with the intention of taking some pics, but the weather was, first of all strong sunshine, which reflected off the blade, and then heavy rain, so for now, here are some poor quality photos taken in my kitchen. I hope to take better soon :thumbsup:

2E7h2Ia.jpg

srZvoom.jpg

As one would expect from Jose, the knife is extremely well made, and indeed a work of art.

MMTzfCT.jpg

hLoamFp.jpg

D0ZtU94.jpg

XHyE2Xb.jpg

Unfortunately, Jose has been in a great deal of pain recently because of his neck problem, and is currently awaiting an operation. His son has been helping him though, and in Jose's words, has rediscovered his passion for making knives :)

She's a beauty, Jack!

If I ever place another order I think that's the pattern that I'll get. Gorgeous knife! I like how Jose always seems to keep the Stag slabs even on both sides. No bulges or dips in the slabs. Pretty impressive that he can do that with consistency.

She's a beauty, Jack!

If I ever place another order I think that's the pattern that I'll get. Gorgeous knife! I like how Jose always seems to keep the Stag slabs even on both sides. No bulges or dips in the slabs. Pretty impressive that he can do that with consistency.

Thanks Rick :) Yes, Jose takes a lot of care, it's a real treat to hold. I have a Vendetta, but the locking blade means I can't carry it all the time here, this one I can carry whenever I want :) :thumbsup:

Hooray Jack :thumbsup: Very nice. Quite a flashy cousin to your Sheffields. I hope it serves you as well as it looks.

Glad too - for an update about José. I was hoping he was simply on a well deserved summer vacation but I am not surprised to hear this news instead. My emails have gone unanswered.

This has been asleep thread. Nice way to awaken Jack Black Jack Black

Ray

Hooray Jack :thumbsup: Very nice. Quite a flashy cousin to your Sheffields. I hope it serves you as well as it looks.

Glad too - for an update about José. I was hoping he was simply on a well deserved summer vacation but I am not surprised to hear this news instead. My emails have gone unanswered.

This has been asleep thread. Nice way to awaken Jack Black Jack Black

Ray

Thank you Ray :) Jose regrets not being able to post here at the moment, but hopes he will be back before too long :thumbsup:

I received this slipjoint from Jose a couple of days ago. I took it out on a hike yesterday, with the intention of taking some pics, but the weather was, first of all strong sunshine, which reflected off the blade, and then heavy rain, so for now, here are some poor quality photos taken in my kitchen. I hope to take better soon :thumbsup:

2E7h2Ia.jpg

srZvoom.jpg

As one would expect from Jose, the knife is extremely well made, and indeed a work of art.

MMTzfCT.jpg

hLoamFp.jpg

D0ZtU94.jpg

XHyE2Xb.jpg

Unfortunately, Jose has been in a great deal of pain recently because of his neck problem, and is currently awaiting an operation. His son has been helping him though, and in Jose's words, has rediscovered his passion for making knives :)
Nice looking navaja, Sir :thumbsup:
Congratulations!
As you likely know, I also have that model.

full

I like the blade-to-handle ratio-- a full-sized, meaty handle, but with a smaller blade. It's a unique feature in my opinion. It allows power and control. And it's built like a tank.

I hope our amigo Jose' finds relief.
@ArtesaniaHerreros , long may your anvil ring :)

Back