This just in ~ from España • The Navajas of ArtesaniaHerreros

I received this slipjoint from Jose a couple of days ago. I took it out on a hike yesterday, with the intention of taking some pics, but the weather was, first of all strong sunshine, which reflected off the blade, and then heavy rain, so for now, here are some poor quality photos taken in my kitchen. I hope to take better soon :thumbsup:

2E7h2Ia.jpg

srZvoom.jpg

As one would expect from Jose, the knife is extremely well made, and indeed a work of art.

MMTzfCT.jpg

hLoamFp.jpg

D0ZtU94.jpg

XHyE2Xb.jpg

Unfortunately, Jose has been in a great deal of pain recently because of his neck problem, and is currently awaiting an operation. His son has been helping him though, and in Jose's words, has rediscovered his passion for making knives :)
That is a beautiful work of art, Jack. (Sorry to hear about José's neck problem, and hope the operation will take care of it.)
Thanks for the pics and for the update.

Nice looking navaja, Sir :thumbsup:
Congratulations!
As you likely know, I also have that model.

full

I like the blade-to-handle ratio-- a full-sized, meaty handle, but with a smaller blade. It's a unique feature in my opinion. It allows power and control. And it's built like a tank.

I hope our amigo Jose' finds relief.
@ArtesaniaHerreros , long may your anvil ring :)

Thank you my friend, I've barely used mine yet, but it certainly has a very comfortable feel in hand :) :thumbsup:

Thank you my friend, I've barely used mine yet, but it certainly has a very comfortable feel in hand :) :thumbsup:
That's great. Yes, a great feel in hand for sure.
You inspired me to tote mine today.
I noticed some subtle differences between our two navajas, which is neat; it shows they're indeed custom pieces that are made by hand.

The pins are slightly different, as is the blade steel (with you choosing 1095), and my lanyard hole, of course.

full

Be interesting to compare the file work as well. Mine below:

full

I think you're gonna love your new navaja. It's very unique :)

Last edited:
Thanks Ray,
Pulled back a bit on the forum for the summer. Just enjoying the outdoors, a short season in Maine!

I've been on the boat for sure! Hope you have, too :)
I'll be back around more when winter forces us back in.

A good & wise plan Don :thumbsup:
Me? I'm working in my shop these days rather than in the field so I have a routine that allows
for more BF. Sailing for certain but knives too :cool:

Enjoy your summer - you and my other Ambassador friends. :)

Ray

That's great. Yes, a great feel in hand for sure.
You inspired me to tote mine today.
I noticed some subtle differences between our two navajas, which is neat; it shows they're indeed custom pieces that are made by hand.

The pins are slightly different, as is the blade steel (with you choosing 1095), and my lanyard hole, of course.

full

Be interesting to compare the file work as well. Mine below:

full

I think you're gonna love your new navaja. It's very unique :)

Interesting to see the differences Don :) The nail-nick on yours looks like it is a little deeper :) I've been carrying mine in a Max Capdebarthes belt pouch :thumbsup:

HdKnjRM.jpg

mPIZCdD.jpg

3Ll84K4.jpg

Interesting to see the differences Don :) The nail-nick on yours looks like it is a little deeper :) I've been carrying mine in a Max Capdebarthes belt pouch :thumbsup:

HdKnjRM.jpg

mPIZCdD.jpg

3Ll84K4.jpg
Yes, interesting...
Your file work is a different pattern. Very nice :)
Again, it shows these are custom pieces, not assembly line products.
And the sheath is a good idea. This style is a bit big for loose pocket carry IMO.

What is the length closed? And weight? And can you pinch it open?

Hey Vince,
Mine is 3 7/8' closed with a 2 3/4" blade.
No scale here, but it feels very similar to the heft of a full-sized Case Trapper. And I can pinch mine open.

Yes, interesting...
Your file work is a different pattern. Very nice :)
Again, it shows these are custom pieces, not assembly line products.
And the sheath is a good idea. This style is a bit big for loose pocket carry IMO.

Thanks for stepping in with the measurements Don :) I can't pinch mine open I'm afraid, the polished blade just slips through my fingers, maybe when I build up some patina :thumbsup:

Thanks for stepping in with the measurements Don :) I can't pinch mine open I'm afraid, the polished blade just slips through my fingers, maybe when I build up some patina :thumbsup:
Mine was stiff at first as I recall...
Yours should be pinchable after some breaking in, Jack. And give her a good oiling.
Cheers!

José told me to expect that my # 7 pull could end up being at most a # 6. As he predicted, my issues with slippery blades (my first AH had no nail nick) has become a non issue. A little oil can't hoit! :)

Ray

See is an update on our long absent friend José - Artesania Herreros.

An email reply from his son, David. :thumbsup:
AIbEiAIAAABDCKqPv5zewMvRbiILdmNhcmRfcGhvdG8qKGU0Nzk4ZmY0MWE5OTA5MTA0OTk4M2EwZGNmZWNhNzZiMjQ2OWYxNzgwAVKFRqaLDxagw8noZnhWqweIaaNe

José Antonio Herreros Gómez
1:03 PM (5 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Hola Ray,

I'm David his son. My father get problems on his back and shoulders from years and every day he hurts more.

I'm working on my brand ans workshop and when I have free time I answer his clients and I help him with each folding knife that he must to do.

He is accepting only 2-3 folding knife units each week no more. And he increase the price on each model to stop the avalanche of orders. Because are a lot of people that want to order and he can't attend this high volume.

As for the Bladeforums, he is disconnected by internet from 1 year ago. But I will talk with him if he want to back any day to greetings you guys.

Thank you very much for your interest on my father. I really appreciate it so much.

Best regards
David

Now I've got to send a message to Pinemoon Pinemoon too. Have't seen any post from him for quite a while. Hopefully Don, you are house boating on Sebago and all is well.

See is an update on our long absent friend José - Artesania Herreros.

An email reply from his son, David. :thumbsup:
AIbEiAIAAABDCKqPv5zewMvRbiILdmNhcmRfcGhvdG8qKGU0Nzk4ZmY0MWE5OTA5MTA0OTk4M2EwZGNmZWNhNzZiMjQ2OWYxNzgwAVKFRqaLDxagw8noZnhWqweIaaNe

José Antonio Herreros Gómez
1:03 PM (5 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Hola Ray,

I'm David his son. My father get problems on his back and shoulders from years and every day he hurts more.

I'm working on my brand ans workshop and when I have free time I answer his clients and I help him with each folding knife that he must to do.

He is accepting only 2-3 folding knife units each week no more. And he increase the price on each model to stop the avalanche of orders. Because are a lot of people that want to order and he can't attend this high volume.

As for the Bladeforums, he is disconnected by internet from 1 year ago. But I will talk with him if he want to back any day to greetings you guys.

Thank you very much for your interest on my father. I really appreciate it so much.

Best regards
David

Now I've got to send a message to Pinemoon Pinemoon too. Have't seen any post from him for quite a while. Hopefully Don, you are house boating on Sebago and all is well.
Thanks for the update, Ray. I knew José was having some back problems. Hope he will improve. He certainly does beautiful work. His knife s one of my few "safe queens." I have used it lightly; haven't sharpened it yet. It is a work of art.

Back