This may be a no-no...

The other options for the chopping tasks that you mentioned might be the older Battle Rat (9 inch blade with Res-c handle) or Scrap Yard’s 911, 1111, 1311, all 3 with SR-101 blades and Res-C handles. All 4 are a winning combination for chopping knives, as long as your hand isn’t bear sized. Res-C (Resiprene C - a unicorn tears based rubber [c’mon! everything Busse has some unicorn tears/horn/shit in it, tears are probably the most princess daughter friendly]) has the mysterious (or not, being rubber) ability to absorb the shock from hard hits during chopping and batonning.
I guess I’ve never went as far as taking a family pic of my SY ‘11s... might remedy that tomorrow

I actually almost traded for an M7 but decided it was too much redundancy with my ratweiler and I do have a strong affinity for the more rounded back end of handles, especially if chopping is involved. I learned with the Nepalese kuhkri that using the top of the knife as the friction to stop the knife from sliding in a loose grip/wrist flick thing Ethan Becker teaches created awful hot spots for me.

I also assumed there have been more of those in the for sale thread because people like them less. Seems like the the straight handle would be better for forward (stabbing) and backward (slicing) movements. My hands can be sensitive to shock after destroying my wrists in years of athletics banging should pads and throwing heavy things.

I've started using bicycle bar tape for cushion, on top of gloves, though the gloves are more for grip because my grips strength is pretty awful too. Even had to do that with my pack saw. I can't grip small diameter things well at all.
N7oTotYl.jpg

Last edited:
Great pic there Elof. I'm adoptable, don't ya know. :)

BE, ask ol Elof about the green bladed one with black G10 slabs. ;)

Ain’t no G10 in that pic!!!

Aside from SAR Rat (that I only managed to land a customised one with timber handles and mirror polish) all others are good ole micarta, as Rats should be!
And that one is the most ultimate from the ultimate family that Swamp Rats are, the one and only, Chopweiler!
The legend has it that the Excalibur was the Choppy prototype that Jerry made in the place that the funny cobweb and extremely dusty bottle of original JW Blue took him to... it’s just that for the 4-4.5 foot tall folks of that place it was an equivalent of a two handed great sword! And it’s magical ability to cut even into the stone only enhanced the legend...

Hey Tim, how are you doing brother?

bikerector bikerector another one you might put on your radar is the rat mastiff. Same handle as the ratweiler in a 9" blade. I traded mine off and have attempted to get it back with no luck. Worst regrets I've had in any blade that I let go. It's the second from the top in Elof's picture.

GSeTloQ.jpg

6AJbEhF.jpg

You might watch for an M9 to come up as well. There are saber-ground and full flat-ground models of the M9. The Ratweiler line excels in hammer grip, the Mischief line have a handle that's friendly in a variety of grips.

cwa5xRt.jpg

5lExgRq.jpg

SE6JS0B.jpg

Hey Dave, I'm hanging in there. I was dealt a setback earlier this summer. A trip to the doc turned out to be a 90% tear in my left rotator cuff. Because of that I was "babying" that arm/shoulder to the point it became frozen. The doc knocked me out and "manipulated" my shoulder. Then PT. Rotator at the end of the summer.
But you know what? It's good to be alive.
You doing ok?

Hey Dave, I'm hanging in there. I was dealt a setback earlier this summer. A trip to the doc turned out to be a 90% tear in my left rotator cuff. Because of that I was "babying" that arm/shoulder to the point it became frozen. The doc knocked me out and "manipulated" my shoulder. Then PT. Rotator at the end of the summer.
But you know what? It's good to be alive.
You doing ok?

Well shoot, I'm sorry to hear about that tear. It sounds like those can be slow to heal from what I understand. I'm pretty beat up from all the lifting of heavy, awkward tooling I've delivered for my work over the years. But we recently made some changes here and I'm getting some relief finally. I woke up the other morning and didn't hurt at all for the first half of the day, and that's the first time that's happened in at least fifteen years. I'm not all that old, I'll be 47 next month, but I've played hard and worked harder to raise my family and it's showing. I've got those ankle-biters grown now though, so I don't feel the urgency to chase the dollar near so hard, they've got to pull their own weight now! Like you say, it's good to be alive. I hope those docs don't pick on you too bad brother. Cheers!

HK, are you subtly trying to tell me you’re gonna need another sheath for a Mastiff once you land one?!?!

I've still got it! The gentleman I traded with is a lefty, so he just dealt against the knife. And you know what, it fits the M9s almost perfectly. The only way you can tell it's not made for an M9 is the contour where you cut it to fit the Mastiff handle contour so beautifully. But it's completely serviceable and my Red & Back G10 M9 with the full flat grind lives in it now :) I wish you were just around the corner and leather-making full time my friend. We'd dream up all kinds of set-ups and then you'd eventually have to run me out to get some work done :D

HK, are you subtly trying to tell me you’re gonna need another sheath for a Mastiff once you land one?!?!
....I believe so...but we are no longer sure you will be involved with sheath work, well specifically leather sheath work given your most recent conversion to Veganism after your stay at the luxury vegan resort and spa out in the beautiful North West suburbs...I mean a dedicated vegan such as yourself ;) may no longer wish to handle the hides of recently deceased bovine children of earth ....:eek::eek::D:D:p:p;);):D

Last edited:
Well shoot, I'm sorry to hear about that tear. It sounds like those can be slow to heal from what I understand. I'm pretty beat up from all the lifting of heavy, awkward tooling I've delivered for my work over the years. But we recently made some changes here and I'm getting some relief finally. I woke up the other morning and didn't hurt at all for the first half of the day, and that's the first time that's happened in at least fifteen years. I'm not all that old, I'll be 47 next month, but I've played hard and worked harder to raise my family and it's showing. I've got those ankle-biters grown now though, so I don't feel the urgency to chase the dollar near so hard, they've got to pull their own weight now! Like you say, it's good to be alive. I hope those docs don't pick on you too bad brother. Cheers!
Thanks Dave, I chatted with a dude while in PT. He was in the latter part of his bought with recovering from RC procedure. He said he was 6 weeks in a sling! Dang boy. I'll have to rub some oil on my Infiweiler or put her in a jar of formaldehyde, and that ain't right.
She don't deserve that. That's like putting a young thorabred out to pasture.

....I believe so...but we are no longer sure you will be involved with sheath work, well specifically leather sheath work given your most recent conversion to Veganism after your stay at the luxury vegan resort and spa out in the beautiful North West suburbs...I mean a dedicated vegan such as yourself ;) may no longer wish to handle the hides of recently deceased bovine children of earth ....:eek::eek::D:D:p:p;);):D

Come on! You know exactly where my position is regarding recently deceased bovines!!!

This is my Swamp as of now...There’s one or two in here I may part with at some point. It is definitely missing a Ratweiler, Chopweiler, and Rodent 3. I’d love to find a Mini Uncle Mojo (no hook).
5Smjq27.jpg

vIgRm8R.jpg

I just ordered a RMD from the website to go with my Ratweiler. Being a new follower, I'm pretty happy with one or two a year. My wallet's happier that way too. Kinda spoiled with the ratweiler, it just does so many things pretty well it makes it hard to look at other ones with going "is that really going to see more use than the ratweiler or is it simply going to steal pocket time that I could use loving on the weiler?"

We had some fun this weekend again. I would have a lot more pictures if I would bring my camera with me on my adventures.
ebsghk7l.jpg

kPI1nBcl.jpg

DRmoHvTl.jpg

I started this Friday and finally reached my buried wood stash from cleaning up a downed tree last fall that. The weeds are thick enough the wood was actually dry this morning and we had thunderstorms all night.

From last fall
UWmKqsml.jpg

From where I left things Friday. The wood pile is about 15 feet from the far bank from when I tossed them across to get to the swamp critter highway.
1geNV73l.jpg

Actually, after posting this all it makes me think I should have gone for the rucki, though I'm not sure if 3/16" blade is ideal for bushwacking. Just swinging the 1lb, 18" latin around gets tiring after a couple hours. Maybe if there was a solid distal taper. I bet the balance is real nice. Now I got myself thinking...

Last edited:
Back