This may interest some of you

Um...
Well...
I guess my advice to anyone who has to chop up a concrete block would be to use the back of the knife. See, that part of the knife ( the part that isn't sharp) would be more for your basic moronic tasks. Like say chopping up rocks.
Let me know before you buy your knife if you plan to chop up rocks and things. Ill send you one with both sides "rocksharp".

To those of you who are worried about your knife failing under this kind of usage, keep in mind, even this weirdo gets a new knife.

Okay then...

Mick

Post scrip:
Keep us posted Cliff.

WOW, after all that he gets a new knife. Wonder what he will try to chop with that. :rolleyes:
Frank Q.
P.S. I hope you already shipped out my WB. I miss it very much. ;)

Hey Mick, when Cliff sends the WB back, do me a favor and send me his replacement, and I'll send him a six pound sledge hammer with STRIDER written on the side. Better yet, find a young, poor Marine at Pendleton, and give him Cliff's replacement-I'll still pop for the sledge hammer. I'll be the first to say that both I and many of my associates have done horrible things to our Striders-the difference is we did them during actual operations in which we had no choice except to misuse our beloved tools. I think there is a point in which the Strider guys honored their replacement policy for customers out doing some good work for the world, and some dumba** beating concrete to see how long it takes to destroy a tool that a whole bunch of real soldiers would give their first born to hang on there belts and take to war. Sorry, but I wouldn't give Cliff jack if he sends that WB in for a free replacement.

Better yet, find a young, poor Marine at Pendleton, and give him Cliff's replacement
I agree 100% with that.
Frank Q.

My turn,
1. No one has tested STRIDER KNIVES to the extent that our company has, and our testing goes far beyond random unmeasureable cinderblock whacking that has no standardization.
2. The test results read a bit strange to me and I must agree with Jerry in believing that the data provided is wierd to say the least.
3. Our company reputation is not based on empty promises, guesswork geometry/metallurgy, or "high speed" military backgrounds. It is based on the performance of the THOUSANDS of edged tools we have made and placed in the hands of clientelle who have gone on to use these products in every thinkable way, and enjoy success at their tasks.
It is based on the fact that my partner Mick Strider is one of the most brilliant, mechanically inclined, individuals in this industry who spends countless hours, building, testing, prototypeing, evaluating items that we produce with the corporate name placed upon them.
It is based on knowledge of material properties and test methods that I have come to know while performing both, destructive and non-destructive testing and inspection, to standards set forth by the American Society of Nondestructive Testing (ASNT), the American Welding Society (AWS), and the American Society of Metallurgy (ASM) while performing these tasks for a living as a state certified inspector.
It is based on the input we receive and put to use from professionals in their perspective fields and apply to a tool with change after change until we feel it is up to the task it was built for. And I might add that we are proud to say that we have one HELL of a team of professionals that we are in contact with in this way evey day.
In closing this already too long message, I like Robs Simonich's comment, do your own test! We guarantee the knife.

Happy Independance Day and remember the price we have paid for freedom.
Loyalty above all else ... except Honor.
Duane Dwyer

testing a knife's worth by chopping on concrete is like testing the worth of a new antibiotic by seeing how it helps heal broken legs :rolleyes:

which brings me to my point..

what do folks do to test their knives that actually tests what it is meant to do?

Rope is often used but I am not a sailor and don't really care about rope cutting ability as much as the ability to cut fish, meat etc...

I'm curious

WOW.....Im impressed......did you get B to help you with all those big words?????????????? :p
:)

Hey wow, thanks pal,
but you left out HOT YOUNG DESIGNER!!!

Here’s the deal with our guarantee:
It is unconditional.
However, what we do is simply mark the blade as an idiot replacement. At this point, the blade can never again be replaced.

Beware of angry rocks!

M

Mr. Dan (bandaidman)
To answer your question, there is no standardized method for knife testing. However, there is a set of standards used for testing alloy properties. The four that come to mind which have an application relative to knives are the following;
1. Hardness, measured with a calibrated machine giving a value in one of several units of measurement with the one most seen in knifemaking being the Rockwell C scale. Higher number, harder material.
2. Toughness, defined as the resistance of a material to chipping, fracture and cracking. Measured in one of four standardized methods, Izod impact, Charpy V notch impact, Charpy C notch impact and bend fracture tests. There is obviously too much to explain about each of these but this is a glimpse of it all.
3. Wear resistance, defined as the ability of a material to resist breakdown due to erosion or abrasion due to the combination of its hardness and its chemical composition. This is measured with bearing loads, sandpaper and various slurries in a controlled enviorment and relates directly to edge retention of a knife.
4. Corrosion Resistance, the ability of a material to resist rusting. This is also measured several ways with the most common being a specific amount of time held in contact with a liquid media the salinity of sea water being sprayed directly on the material in a controlled enviorment.
Well, I know I went high and right on you but I just wanted you to understand that there are actual scientific tests for this industry. Thanks for your interest,
Duane Dwyer

What’s truly amazing is, that after all these years, Cliff still doesn’t understand, that this “testing” doesn’t proof anything in terms of performance of a piece of steel as a knife.

Duane, Mick,
Thanks for going high and right. The knife and gun business have both deteriorated into mindless pursuits of esoteric minutia- or as LtCol Cooper says "PII- Preoccupation with Inconsequential Increments".
Add that to the fact that with the advent of the information super highway, everyone is now an "expert", albeit an anonymous one.
The result is an almost endless supply of bad or mis-information and grossly self inflated egos.
Add to this the profit angle (we are a capatalist society) and we see truth and ethics spiraling rapidly down.
I am neither a scientist nor an engineer; not a technician nor an artiste. I am a broke down FAG (don't get upset here- it is Former Action Guy), and i have had the opportunity to walk around the block a few times. I have used a wide variety of tools in a lot of interesting places, and i believe- strongly- that your knives are the best that i have ever used. I'm not concerned if they can decapitate hawser, or make big rocks into small.
But i am impressed that you guys can actually read and write and have a basic grasp of the language.

Originally posted by nyeti
I'll be the first to say that both I and many of my associates have done horrible things to our Striders-the difference is we did them during actual operations in which we had no choice except to misuse our beloved tools.

Not trying to be an ass or breaching opsec but i'd love to hear some stories of actual encounters where Striders were used as emergency tools.
No to prove quality/durability etc. just because i'm curious and likes to hear kniferelated stories :)

I used a Timberline SpecWar to pop open a door to our living quarters while in Bosnia, we were out to check out the New years eve's (-95/-96) fireworks (more then a few tracers) and our door jammed, i put all my close to 200 Ibs to it and got the door open but i snapped the tip, sure would liked to have a Strider back then :)

Sorry if i went out of topic.

It may be a misnomer to refer to Cliffs escapades with cutlery as "tests". They are probably more closely akin to "high jinks" and generate no relevant, applicable data. We don't stuff turds up the barrel of our 1911's because we don't carry them in our culu. Similarly, as Nyeti so eloquently stated, we break cinderblocks with a sledghammer. We don't shovel hay, we use a pitchfork.

A little less than two years ago, I chipped a hole in concrete with my MT to place some PE in, and the blade looks like new. I abused that blade by abusing all sorts of odd stuff, and after it was sandblasted and the cord handle was rewrapped, it literaly looked like it came of the showroom shelf. Perhaps Cliff has some extraordinary cinderblocks.

You can't learn sign language from a (yuk!) mime, and you can't learn about blade durability from Cliffs "tests".

Mike

Back