This old Confederate

Murindo

Gold Member
I bought an old well used (abused?) 12-11 Bowie for probably $ 100 more than it was worth because I liked the looks of it. When I got it I found that the description "well loved" meant tough love. The sheath was dried out and marked up. The knife was tight and the hilt, handle, and pommel were what you'd expect of a knife likely 60+ years old. The blade had numerous chips along the straight edge. There was a large chip near the tip and the last 1/8 inch of tip was bent over 70 degrees. The clip was virtually unused. From the marks on both sides of the blade near the tip, I surmise that someone stabbed it into the ground and stuck a rock.

I sharpened out the chips and filed out the bent tip. I also used Leather Honey on the sheath but it needs another coat.

I really like this knife. Almost as much as my well used 1966 Model 1-6 that I bought new that year.

There is something different about this knife. Something unusual. See if you can guess. I'll answer in my reply.

Confederate L Sized.jpg Confederate Sheathed Sized.jpg Heiser Stamp sized.jpg Confederate L Sized.jpg Confederate Sheathed Sized.jpg Heiser Stamp sized.jpg

I like that a lot. The lack of any choil on some of the big Randalls is a real turn off for me. They just look hard to sharpen . You did a beautiful job bringing yours back to life.

IMHO Choils are useful on a small knife for sharpening and choking up for more delicate cuts. On a big fighting knife there is no need to fully sharpen the blade from guard to tip. The first three to four inches of blade and the clip do most of the damage and should be razor sharp. The rest of the blade should be reasonably sharp for utility needs such as creating tinder or for baton splitting wood.

I'm not supposing this Confederate Bowie is rare but I've never seen another one with a choil. Perhaps it was a special order. I sent pics to RMK and possibly they have an anwser.

The edge is typical of a large hand made knife and the sharping followed the original grind lines. Not laser straight but still deadly, in fact maybe more so.

I agree choils aren’t always necessary. But I at least need a ricasso. Having the edge go right to the guard doesn’t work for me.

Your knife is a perfect Bowie to me.

Back