This place is dying,so Swiza vs Victorinox

What it says above. Swiza has been Stateside about a year I think, someone must be using that brand for EDC. How does it compare over time to a Victorinox equivalent. I know Swiza doesn't offer as many tools as Vic, but most people here only carry 2 or 3 layer Vics so a direct comparison is legitimate.

Why buy the imitator when you can buy the real one?

I think that's going to kill the Swiza in the long run, that you can buy the Victorinox. What real advantage is there to having a Swiza over the Victorinox? The whole idea of trying to compete with such an established industry giant that has a century and more of market recognition, massive infrastructure, and known quality is foolish. Even Wenger couldn't do it in the long run.

I expect Swiza to be gone in a year or two.

So nobody has tried out a Swiza? I haven't either. I figured for sure since it uses 440c steel somebody would've checked them out. I think since Victorinox bought out Wenger that another company should be around to keep Vic honest in the future, otherwise Vic has pretty much a monopoly. Right now I'm happy with my Explorer Plus of which Swiza has nothing that can match. If I decide to drop down to a 2 layer I'm going to consider Swiza.

I looked on Swiza's site after I heard about them and didn't see anything that impressed me. Looked to me like they tried so hard to make them look different than a Victorinox that they forgot to keep any of the good aspects of them. Just my thoughts from looking at them online though. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

I looked on Swiza's site after I heard about them and didn't see anything that impressed me. Looked to me like they tried so hard to make them look different than a Victorinox that they forgot to keep any of the good aspects of them. Just my thoughts from looking at them online though. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

They definitely look different. I think they look great myself. The company has a relatively long history of watch making so I doubt there's any question about their quality.
I'm not sure about it not having a toothpick, but then it's been quite awhile since I've used the one on my Explorer.

I notice Swiza being promoted quite a bit hand in hand with Vic. I think what Swiza is trying to bring to the table are the builds that Vic clearly has no interest in offering, which are also made by the Swiss officially, with all that swiss made quality goodness.

Swiss made is known for quality where that designation is a point in copying, imitating (through purchase of Swiss components built elsewhere sold as Swiss) and envy.

Swiza actually has it, enough that Vic has no issue with the association that reflects this quality. Certainly, not cheap products.

Havent touched one. Only read the reviews and comments. Still not common or used in the States.

I'm pretty sure Swiza is manufacturing all of their components themselves, they have over a century of watchmaking so knife components are probably pretty easy compared to watch parts. I know Victorinox mfr's all of theirs. I don't know that Swiza is doing any build that Vic doesn't already do. They just seem to be offering an alternative to Victorinox and offer a more ergonomic style to set themselves apart from Vic.

Yeah, my bad.

What you say is what I really meant. I didnt actually mean like actual designs or models that Vic swore off or discontinued. Just other stuff.. that Vic isnt making and hopefully wont.

Ive read the knives still werent there yet, up to par, looking into it. Still a nice simple design. Ill probably take a hit sometime soon.

Well, I guess the problem for me is that they haven't (at least yet) tried to offer anything that would make me want to get one. They are essentially just mutated Victorinox. They should offer something "wow", or innovative.. or at least some more exotic handle materials or tools, that Victorinox doesn't do.

Well, I guess the problem for me is that they haven't (at least yet) tried to offer anything that would make me want to get one. They are essentially just mutated Victorinox. They should offer something "wow", or innovative.. or at least some more exotic handle materials or tools, that Victorinox doesn't do.

I don't think anyone will be able to offer anything outright different than what Vic offers, I mean the tool list that Vic has built up over the decades pretty much covers anything that one could get a tool to do while still fitting in your pocket.
I do like that Swiza is using 440c for the knife blade. I was sure that alone would've got a few on this board to get one.

I'll be getting a Swiza and/or a Boker Tech Tool sometime in the near future.

Doubt either will kick a Victorinox out of my pocket, but it'll be nice to have a different type of multi-tool knife.

I don't think anyone will be able to offer anything outright different than what Vic offers, I mean the tool list that Vic has built up over the decades pretty much covers anything that one could get a tool to do while still fitting in your pocket.

I think most of us have a long list of tools and tool combinations we would like to see from Victorinox or someone. There are also all the specialized SAKs that Wenger used to make for everything from sewing to watchmaking to fixing gas chromatography equipment. Some of the tools in those knives should be more widely available, like the jeweler's screwdrivers in the Minathors, and the rattail file in the GC knife.

More 130mm SAKs!

Hobo knives!

Swiza´s have their own appeal to me. I like the looks and they seem to be more ergonomic than Vic.
I also love the good ol' Wenger designs. They lacked the necessary second blade, though. At least some of the Wengers had it. So this fact got me into not buying too much Wengers, even when they were available at any hardware store.

Well, back to topic. As A.L. almost stated - the Swizas have nothing that blows me out of my chair. Even the hole in the blade is more an issue than anything else. It will contain dust and dirt - and I wouldn´t want to cut my food with it.

Maybe someday I gonna get one - and maybe I gonna make an in-depth-review.

I have a classic on my keychain, Tinker in my pocket, one hand Parachutist in my bike pack. Not a collector, so... Barring loss or breakage, I can think of no reason to ever buy another multi-purpose knife. shrug

My son just returned from 6 weeks of archaeological field work in Israel. Before going he asked me to trade my SWIZA D04 for his Vic Electrician. Since returning he said he was glad he made the trade as he prefers the SWIZA. The SWIZA is just better in the hand especially for harder work.

I was impressed enough with the SWIZA, that I just placed an order for another D04 with the KnifeCenter in my hometown while ordering replacement Victorinox Waiter the wife recently gave to TSA when visiting her sisters down in Florida.

Last edited:
My son just returned from 6 weeks of archaeological field work in Israel. Before going he asked me to trade my SWIZA D04 for his Vic Electrician. Since returning he said he was glad he made the trade as he prefers the SWIZA. The SWIZA is just better in the hand especially for harder work.

I was impressed enough with the SWIZA, that I just placed an order for another D04 with the KnifeCenter in my hometown while ordering replacement ven Victorinox Waiter the wife recently gave to TSA when visiting her sisters down in Florida.

I'm curious as to how well the Swiza holds its edge compared to Vic. I'm guessing it would be better than Vic given that it's 440c.

Back