This poor-poor Buck 110...

I was helping to clean out my deceased Uncles apartment (humid Florida} and came across this Buck knife that has been abused and neglected. Based on the coding, it appears to date from the early to mid 80's. It looks like it may have been used as a screwdriver once, broke the tip off, and then put back in its' sheath where it sweated for 35 years until I found it. I'd like to bring it back.
Since Buck doesn't replace blades on the 110's, I figure repointing the blade would be fairly easy for me to do. Cleaning the green, grimey mess off the knife should also be a fairly easy chore. What I'm wondering about is the sheath. It's in nice shape, except for the green , grimey stuff that has rubbed off on it where you see it in the image but also deep down in the cavity of the sheath. How should I clean the leather without destroying it but also get it clean inside without green residue clinging to the leather inside continuing to rub off on the knife?
Thanks!
Kim
fVsHwYy.jpg

XqUUsWw.jpg

groHneQ.jpg

2lf3aon.jpg

That will clean right up.

Mine has looked worse that that before. Don’t even bother trying to fix the tip. After a dozen sharpenings it will get fixed on its own.

Or send it to Buck they definitely do replaced 110 blades. Last time I had it done it was $10 for a blade and spa treatment.

The verdigris on the leather you can just pick off. Don’t store the knife in there or use it frequently it won’t grow back.

thought Buck would replace blades, but ya get a current production one not the right date code and steel type since that one is 440c I think.

if it were mine id reshape the blade like ya said though, back to a point.

id wipe off the corrosion and polish it back. on the sheath id wipe the inside clean and id be good with that. ill let leather experts say how to do it right.

cool find though even in the shape its in...fun project.

Nothing wrong with a new 420 blade and at $10.00 a real bargain. And you get Bucks new (2000) edge profile. But since the tip is really not that bad a regular 'Spa' service for a couple of bucks less will let you keep the original blade if that makes a difference to you. I'm not 100% sure if Buck will do the slight reprofile needed when they sharpen it but a simple call or a note with the knife when you send it in will answer that. Be sure to ask for the new edge profile as it makes it easier to sharpen. Especially with 440.

Agree with eveled eveled and jbmonkey jbmonkey on the sheath. Probably a cloth moistened with (distilled) water would clean the leather up. After that, I really like Obenauf's products.

Good luck. :)

EDIT: Come to think of it, I first learned about Obenauf's products from the historian at Buck Knives.

Last edited:
My condolences for your loss.

When I read the title, I expected much worse. That knife deserves to come out of the dark. Buck will get it fixed the way you want for a very small charge or you can do it yourself.

get some liquid saddle soap and just wash the sheath in saddle soap and water--comes clean and dont hurt the sheath at all...let it dry in the shade--do not set in sun...i use an old toothbrush or a small soft bottle brush to scrub down inside the sheath---easy dont go all out scrubbing...

also i would just have them reprofile and sharpen that blade and spa treatment...a bit shorter but so what ya got the good original blade in it....
make sure you mention ya want to keep the square bolsters or they may round them out.....

Last edited:
thought Buck would replace blades, but ya get a current production one not the right date code and steel type since that one is 440c I think.
4 dot was 425M? I know Buck made the switch to 425M with the 3 dot. I'm not sure when they went to 420HC.
Buck will replace the blade, but with a current year. They don't keep a stockpile of older tang stamp (and steel) blades.

On a side note, you cannot "upgrade" the blade on a 110 that originally had 440C; 425M; BG42; etc. sent in for a blade replacement to a current year S30V from the custom shop. You get the 420HC clip point, even if you are willing to pay extra for the S30V.

If you decide reprofile the tip make sure you grind the spine down to the edge. Dont grind the edge to the spine as it will stick out of the blade well when close and also messes up the edge geometry.

Last edited:
Three Dot was the last blade on a 110 made of 440C, the Four Dot is made of 425MOD. That tip-break is so small you can fix it yourself and cleaning the balance won’t be hard (you already got some good advice). Fix that Buck up and carry in memory of your late Uncle - his knife and your knife will be the same knife. OH

Well I worked on it last night with what I had in the barn. I wiped the green stuff off with a rag soaked in paint thinner and it came right off the knife and the exposed part of the sheath flap. Then I thought what the heck, so I attached a piece of that rag to a gun cleaning rod and stroked it inside the pouch. It all came out like I was wiping down the counter top in the kitchen! Then I went to the grinder and very - very slowly reshaped the blade, using the tip I received here to grind from the spine down (very good advice!)
I took the green off but decided to leave the mellow brass patina on there to show a little bit of age. I put a few drops of RemOil inside the guts of the knife and let it set all night. I think it turned out okay. Thanks to all for their encouragement! Here is the after:
W6ykAsm.jpg

Well I worked on it last night with what I had in the barn. I wiped the green stuff off with a rag soaked in paint thinner and it came right off the knife and the exposed part of the sheath flap. Then I thought what the heck, so I attached a piece of that rag to a gun cleaning rod and stroked it inside the pouch. It all came out like I was wiping down the counter top in the kitchen! Then I went to the grinder and very - very slowly reshaped the blade, using the tip I received here to grind from the spine down (very good advice!)
I took the green off but decided to leave the mellow brass patina on there to show a little bit of age. I put a few drops of RemOil inside the guts of the knife and let it set all night. I think it turned out okay. Thanks to all for their encouragement! Here is the after:
W6ykAsm.jpg
Hey that looks good, you did a real good job cleaning it up and reshaping the tip ! I think you also did it justice to leave some patina for a good , well aged knife. And I like that wood grain! Now it’s ready for work! Enjoy it !

W6ykAsm.jpg
great job. looks perfectly usable now and cleaned up very nicely.

Back