This weekend's sheath (and a holster, too!)

Wishing I had taken the time to line this one, but alas I did not. I debated on using a camouflage stamp on the border. Thoughts? Also, I've been using W&C leather for awhile...but this is the first time I tried the pre-dyed stuff. I may quickly become a convert.....

I made the holster with the naked leather that I still have on hand--the reinforcement panel is there in order to accommodate the retention clip; it's dyed a shade darker for aesthetics.

Lemme know what you think--I'm always looking for ways to improve. Thanks much~!!20180707_184510-1500-rs.jpg 20180707_161049-1500-rs.jpg

Looks awesome! I also own a Sig p320 Compact RX and think it’s a great gun. I’m getting used to shooting with the red dot. Your leatherwork is great.

Looks awesome! I also own a Sig p320 Compact RX and think it’s a great gun. I’m getting used to shooting with the red dot. Your leatherwork is great.
Thanks, Cryptyc! This gun belongs to a friend of mine--the Romeo optics are very nice.

Both look really incredible. I’ve never used a red dot sight, or owned a sig sauer for that matter(once considered their .45) but that leatherwork is great, and the knife sheath looks top notch as well!

Amy ANovinc ANovinc I've got a suggestion on the holster. I was looking at the pics again this morning. This is purely an aesthetics deal. What about streamlining the bottom of your reinforcement piece. That bottom corner bothers my eye. How about starting at the bottom, bout center of the bbl and relieving it in a lazy s pattern ending just below the trigger guard? Does that make sense? Wish I knew how to draw on your pic like some folks do. Again nothing wrong with your deal just might make it a bit more svelte less blocky, (says the guy carrying a Glock).

Amy ANovinc ANovinc I've got a suggestion on the holster. I was looking at the pics again this morning. This is purely an aesthetics deal. What about streamlining the bottom of your reinforcement piece. That bottom corner bothers my eye. How about starting at the bottom, bout center of the bbl and relieving it in a lazy s pattern ending just below the trigger guard? Does that make sense? Wish I knew how to draw on your pic like some folks do. Again nothing wrong with your deal just might make it a bit more svelte less blocky, (says the guy carrying a Glock).

Thanks, Dave. I tend to agree with your advice. While this holster is hands above the first one I did for this gun (which I did not post pictures of), I've been looking at it myself and wondering what might give it a bit more svelte. I may end up making this for a third time. The user did not like the first one due to tight clip retention, and this one seems to have gone 180 on me and seems to loose--I'm awaiting feedback. (Two different style clips were used). If indeed I do a "third times a charm" creation, I'll for sure work on refining the panel.

Last edited:
I used an Ulticlip (the one designed for OWB) on the first one, per my friend's request. The second one was a plastic clip (can't recall the brand), probably better suited for Kydex than leather (in hindsight). I also have a paddle clip that I haven't used....but i'm reluctant to try it. I probably should have remained old-school with a standard metal clip. Any suggestions for future projects?

The only clips we use on holsters (IWB) are the Ulticlips. All others have been problematic for us. I won't use a clip on a OWB. Maybe cause I'm an old guy and stuck in my ways but having carried an handgun daily for most of my life, I'm a pretty dyed in the wool pancake style OWB kind of guy. For certain filed applications I have no problems with other types of holster, particularly flapped ones but for day in, day out, ccw or open carry I don't think a pancake style can be surpassed. Couple three recent ones I did.

Both of these are for a BF member. The black one is crossdraw.

dCHnF3E.jpg

rxMjpEw.jpg

aIDqaKD.jpg

What is the reason for having to be able to clip on an OWB holster for your customer?

Last edited:
Those are real nice, Dave!

The reason for the clip is that he doesn't want to have to remove his belt (or his pants) to take the holster off. That was the problem with the Ulticlip--it definitely has great retention! I personally would rather know it's ultra secure, even if it means a little extra effort when getting dressed. Hopefully he'll be happy with the second one that I made.

Those Ulticlips are tough at first but they do break in. So many folks don't really know how they work either. They are desinged to go on the pants not really on the belt. So many of the other clips ya draw the gun and the holster comes with it. Yep I understand the thought but for me that has never really been an issue. Where am I, that I have the privacy to take the gun off and say leave it in the vehicle but can't undo my belt to do so? That smidgen of convenience is far outweighed by the comfort and security of the pancake, at least to me.

Really nice sheath and holster Amy . I think the sheath looks great without a border. sometimes less may be better. I’m working on a holster for a small s/w but I think I’m going to put a retention strap I’m always worried about it falling out. It will be my first go with w&c leather.
John

Back