This weeks work

Moving on I put it through its hardest test of the day. I found this old piece of fence post at my father-in-law's and I decided to chop through it. As for the technique I used, I worked my way around the log making fairly wide V notches, until it went through.
This took a while, probably 5-10 minutes, which I think is great. I'm not the most accurate with my blows, and this wood was extremely hard feeling. Half of the time it sounded like I was chopping rock or glass each time the blade bit in...and each time it did bite in. Towards the end my arm was tired and I took a a few heavier swings to try and speed up the process. Blade never once deflected, but just chewed off a chip each time with a *tink* sound.

100_0366.jpg

As you can see in the above pic, it's a fairly good sized piece of timber. I don't know why in the woods I would ever really need to go through something that big, and especially that big and hard, so it's nice to know I could do it without too much trouble.

Also, from my limited experience, I think chopping is a much better test of an edge than batonning...much easier to not hit accurately and laterally stress the edge, easier to bite right into a knot (and there was a small one the blade went right through in this piece), and plus, the edge is taking the force of the blow each time. With batonning a lot of times I feel once you get it started the edge is protected by the thickness of the blade separating the wood and protecting the very edge.

Speaking of batonning, afterwards I did some more of it. This time I used some thicker wood with a wavy grain structure...and again, I was super impressed. This thing just flings the wood apart. Not once did I have to go more than half way through the wood before I could just twist my wrist and bust off a hunk. More making kindling for a fire this thing is going to be a champ. Even went batonned cross grain, although I don't know if that is harder or not on the knife.

100_0367.jpg

Within just a couple of minutes I had dismantled the log

100_0368.jpg

After all that I tried making some more shavings / curls to see how the edge had held up. I paid attention to use the sweet spot of the blade which had just taken all the stress of the chopping and batonning. As you can see it held its sharpness very well.

100_0369.jpg

And here is a small tree branch I took off easily with one swing. I was very happy with the edge retention at this point.

100_0370.jpg

To finish up I walked through the small woods around house and took down two small trees. I only took pictures of the first one. The blade bit very deep with each accurate swing of mine. (Not all of my swings were very accurate do to some forearm fatigue and general lack of practice at this).

100_0371.jpg

The other tree was smaller, about 50% smaller and only took a handful of swings to completely go through.

After all of that, I came inside and just washed it off real quick with a sponge. I then tested the edge on some paper, again making sure to use the part of the edge that had see the most use today. Still cut the paper easily, although the cuts were not the smooth cuts from the initial edge.

100_0373.jpg

After 6 passes each side on a steel I tried shaving arm hair. Results were very good :)!!!

100_0374.jpg

At this point the blade is back to looking like new. I wiped it down with some Flitz, stropped it 3 times on each side on a strop loaded with Flitz a couple months ago, and then oiled it. The Scimitar will again shave the finest of paper curls along its entire edge.

My final assessment is that this thing is as awesome as I thought it was when I first picked it up! I'm very happy with it, and hopefully I will get out and use it for many years to come. I know if I have it I will always have confidence in it.

That Monster Nessie looks awesome!!! Congrats on a great knife!
My Bolo and Deer Creek just arrived yesterday and Scott, it feels absolutely amazing! Thank you, I can't wait to try them out real soon. The handles fit into my hand as if I shaped them myself. Super sharp and looks beautiful. This pair will be with me wherever I go. I know from experience with my Tusker that your heat treatment is top quality and your A2 steel stays sharp for a long long time with proper maintenance (using a steel rod) at the end of each day. It is nice to hold a top quality custom knife that can be passed on to the next generation with pride. Much appreciation to you Scott Gossman!!!!

PS, if you are on the fence for whatever reason about ordering one of Scott's knives, do yourself a favor and get one. It is a future investment with unlimited intrinsic worth.

PS, if you are on the fence for whatever reason about ordering one of Scott's knives, do yourself a favor and get one. It is a future investment with unlimited intrinsic worth.

What's more is, the warranty follows the knife, not just the user.

Hey all,

I went out to visit Scott again today to pick up my axe. I took the Scimitar with me and we went back to his wood pile to put it through more work so he could see for himself how it works. We blew through some really nasty, hard, seasoned poplar and oak with it. That thing is a splitting machine. On a few of the pieces Scott would hold on the handle while I wailed on the blade with the baton.

As for knots...NO PROBLEM! We purposely picked knotty wood and tomorrow I'll get a pic of the one gnarly knot it blew through no problem. It's nasty. And afterwards it still cut thin magazine paper!

And lastly, I just can't speak highly enough of Scott. Scott is everything you woudl want in someone you're doing business with. If you want total confidence in your purchase and your satisfaction with it, get in touch with Scott and order a knife for him.

He is an outstanding guy!

Cody, thanks for posting about your UNK. You're going to love that blade design and CPM 154 steel. Enjoy!
Collin, it was fun heading back to the Gosstoberfest camp area to put your knife up against some hard use. Great seeing you again. You are welcome anytime.
Scott

My Tusker came two days ago. It's everything I hoped it would be and more. The fit and finish are incredible. Hard to believe one guy can make something like this by hand. It has a great feel and looks bad ass! I think the brass hardware and green micarta look great together. I haven't gotten to use it much yet. I did take it out in the back yard and chopped a small oak branch and made some wood curls. It worked like a charm and still took the hair off my arm afterwards. Also, the sheath is great. It has better retention than I expected it to have. Won't come out even when shaken upside down. Thank you Scott for an amazing implement. And thanks to all on this forum whose words lead me to buy a Tusker.

Duke84 thank you and I hope your Tusker brings you years of good service and enjoyment.
Scott

Thanks Scott. Hopefully over the years, I'll be able to stop by the shop many more times. And I appreciate you taking the time to help me put it through its paces.

Here is a pic of that last nasty know we went through:

100_0375.jpg

Wasn't a problem for it at all :)

Just a little update since I took the Scimitar out again today. I felled two arm sized trees with the axe that Scott did the awesome sheath for and then used the Scimitar to section them up. She worked wonderfully, and I'm starting to become more efficient and accurate with my strikes, which is letting me put a little more force beyond them. That translated into more efficient chopping today. Thumb sized limbs were no challenge for it at all.

Also made some curls with it and then split up a twisted knotty log just for the hell of it. The edge was perfect at the end. Although to be honest I don't even know if the edge touched the knots, because being as thick as it is, once you get it into the wood it splits almost right away I feel.

That's great. Thanks for the update. The more you use the knife, the more proficient you'll get. Pretty soon it will be like an extension of your hand.
Scott

Did some fire prep with the Scimitar. Hard to take photos of the knife in use by myself, so only got some of the final product, but everything was done with the big guy alone.

The more I use it the more I love it and become more impressed with it's capabilities. Finally got the angle right when trying to make curls, and for a blade that's 5/16's thick, it made some very, very nice curls and shavings! Still have to try it out as a draw knife...maybe later today.

Really just can't say enough about the knife and how much I like it. After doing all the prep, it would still cleanly shave hair. Steeled it a few times each side and then a few swipes on a strop with Flitz and I feel I could shave my face with it.

100_0410.jpg

100_0409.jpg

100_0407.jpg

Ps. The bandaid on my thumb is where I got careless and nicked myself on the edge.

Last edited:
Back