Those Cheap eBay Damascus Knives...What's The Story?

Logic, otherwise known as good old common sense, would dictate that thirty-five bucks just ain't gonna buy a quality Damascus knife. Yet they're selling like hotcakes on eBay and even at Amazon for a bit higher. I've bought a few of these Pakistan-made beauties just for their looks. And people I've showed them to have reacted positively. (My brother actually asked me for one, and he never asks me for anything...so I gave him one and he fiddled with it for the rest of his visit. Then my sister, who does ask me for things, saw my brother's knife and she asked for one, leaving me with one, which I gave to my mom since I know she wanted it but would never think of depriving me of it. She also coveted a Jennings J-22 .22LR pistol I had and she had asked me for it. So I gave her both (she's in Stage 2 of Alzheimer's, so she said, "Don't worry, you'll be getting them back.") And no, we didn't give her any ammo.)

So there's no doubt the things are pretty. I have a much better grade of Damascus knife made by Bear, but although attractive, it's clearly not as attractive as these folded steel manhole covers/steel drum specials on eBay. One seller even advertises his imports' FEATURES & SPECIFICATIONS:

~ Blade Material: Damascus Steel 15N20 & 1095 Hand-Forged
~ Blade Hardness: 58-60 HRC on Rockwell scale
~ Total Layers: 512 (8 folds German 1095HC/Swedish 15N20)
~ Handle Material: Maple Wood
~ Sheath: Genuine Cowhide Leather

The sheaths are mass produced and the tops cut off at the top to fit the various "custom" knives that are also mass produced. I was just trying to get a bead on the German 1095HC and 15N20 Swedish steels.

So who else buys these knives and has anybody actually subjected them to rough use? Many of them are full tang, so I'd like to find out if they hold up or just break when subjected to stress.

Thanks for any replies and feedback. Will try to run a few photos soon. Meanwhile, if you have any photos, please post!

From what I have read on here, a knifemaker on these forums tested the Rc hardness on one and it came in a snuggly 52Rc I think. Not exactly a quality piece meant for use, maybe as a wall hanger bt not much else.

A guy on youtube xiuxiu1313 did a hard use test on some dont remember the outcome but it might be worth watching his vids on them

I bought one too last year:

15305924902_bf747e255e_b.jpg

15305979532_5d32cc3300_b.jpg

15119751128_11869bc562_b.jpg

The steel is actually pretty good, quite tough and holds a decent edge for a long time. The bevel angle was a bit wide originally though. But it rusts a whole lot quicker than anything else I have, and the handle is not only very uncomfortable but also came apart after just a little bit of batoning. I would have given it too a buddy who is more into tanto knives than I am if it wasn't for the flimsy handle, I think it's somewhere in the shed rusting away now.

The cheap Damascus knives look good, and to be fair the tangs on many of them are far more more robust than the knife in the video. The one in the photo below have hidden tangs, but I have two with full tangs. My Bear & Sons knife is very durable and keeps a great edge, but the blade is not as beautifully etched.

This is the blade of a tiny Bear folder. Very nice.

And of a larger Bear folder:

Very expensive Damascus knives aren't generally used because of their pricetags, and because using them would destroy their looks and destroy the etchings. And, conversely, most cheap Damascus knives aren't used because doing so would ruin the looks and destroy the etching. The thing about cheap Damascus patterns is that they tend to all be alike. The blade shapes may change, as do the types of knives, but after you've seen one pattern you've seen them all.

Two more photos. I think the knife Goober bought from is one of the more reputable makers.

$_1.JPG

$_1.JPG

Two good preservatives for these carbon knives are Vaseline or (my favorite) BreakFree CLP. Even after it dries, BreakFree provides outstanding corrosion resistance.

Yep, the handles and blade shapes may change in many examples, but when the patterns remain the same, it loses much of its charm.

Very expensive Damascus knives aren't generally used because of their pricetags, and because using them would destroy their looks and destroy the etchings.

I don't know much about damascus, I have only one made by Jody Muller. However I use it and the etch pattern does not get destroyed. It is very durable. You would have to take off significant amounts of steel to ruin the etch patter of a damascus blade hardened to RC60, which mine is.

What does change is the patina and this can change the contrast between the layers, but patina is a fact of life with any carbon blade. I occasionally polish my damascus blade and it brings back the contrast quite readily.

I think most people don't use their customs irrespective of the steel.

I just based that comment on the number of unused customs sold here. However there are more used customs on ebay. I too use mine and shop for them. You can get some great deals on a custom user :)

She also coveted a Jennings J-22 .22LR pistol I had and she had asked me for it. So I gave her both (she's in Stage 2 of Alzheimer's, so she said, "Don't worry, you'll be getting them back.") And no, we didn't give her any ammo.)

Go ahead, give her the ammo. My J-22 .22LR had more jams than actual firings. .22LR is some dirty stuff to be sure, but Jennings supposedly had that handled with their proprietary 'teflon' coating....................NOT!

In all seriousness, I hope that you have had much better luck with yours...........mine sucked. I actually tossed mine in the salt in approx. 300 ft. of water. I certainly didn't want to sell it given how unreliable it was and for the price, it was worth seeing the splash.

And yes, I am well aware of how to maintain a firearm.........short and long arms.

Sorry to hear about your mom........insidious disease. My dad had it for almost 6 years before passing on about 8 years ago. My best to you and yours.

Last edited:
Back