Those who work in office, what do you use your knife for?

We don't have an IT dept in our building, so I'm the IT/fix-it guy many days.
- I use the screwdrivers + pliers on my SAK + MT (I always carry both at work) quite a bit to open computer cases
Being an IT person the way that sounds makes me cringe a bit I doubt it is but the horrors I have seen from computer abuse start coming to mind. One of the most frequent uses I had when I worked directly in IT, I work more IT adjacent now, was scoring cables because we would just keep spools of Cat5e/6 cable and ends and make cables when new setups were added or major moves occured.

Gen. James Mattis explains why...
fylsbSB.jpg
I don't like cheesecake so I guess I will just have to stab someone in the throat.

Personally, I use the living Shih Tzu out of my knives working construction, but if I were to change positions or careers to an office setting, my love for knives wouldn’t change at all regardless of how much they got used.

My good buddy Quiet Quiet can tell you all about his vast collection of unused office folders :eek::D:D:D Seriously though, we all have our own way to enjoy this hobby.

He's not wrong!!!

When I'm carrying a more modern folder (and no one is looking), I think it's a fun distraction to just open and close the blade as a sort of fidget - though of course I'll say that I am just "loosening up the pivot" ;)

A nice smaller folder is always nice as a worry stone or just to have something to fiddle with during downtime, and then of course to open up boxes or letters that might trickle in.

On topic, anything I'd say has already been covered here by virtually everyone else! I like carrying a nice knife even if I won't give it any "hard use", and sometimes I'll carry a knife so nice, I carry a second knife and just use that one instead. Bonkers? Sure, absolutely. But, it's a luxury that I take advantage of. If I worked a more physical, or "hands on" type job, I'd probably just carry my CS AD10 or 15 and maybe a SAK Cadet in my watch pocket and call it good.

I
There's been a lot of EDC posts and pictures of what you all use your knives for. However, one thing I have noticed is that many of you work in industries where knives are used much more frequently and is a much more important tool for your job (first responder, public safety, law enforcement, electrician, etc).

So this post is more of just trying to get ideas on where to use my knives :p. I work in the tech field and as a result, basically 99% of my day is sitting in an office working in front of a computer. But regardless, I like my knives and I want to carry them around and use them :D. One issue though, as a result of working in an office, I don't have any real need to have a knife and I don't find myself in many situations where I needing a knife.

So for those who work in an office setting all day, what do you use your knives for?
Opening boxes and packages, opening letters, cutting strings off my clothes, breaking down cardboard. It seems like I use a knife somewhat more around the house than I do in the office specifically, but there are always little thing that come up.

I work primarily in an office, but head out into the field as well. Office knife use is limited to food, plastic, breaking down boxes, etc.

Since my 'office' has been the den in my home since March, that has changed things a bit - I can now leave a pile of knives on my desk without attracting undue attention.

I break down boxes, open packaging from other facilities, cut up my lunch, I support a small hand assembly line so I'm always cutting something open to get to the goodies inside.
I actually just bought a deluxe tinker today for all the other things I need to do on a daily basis.

When I last worked in an office it was properly corporate, accountants and lawyers outnumbered everyone else. Even in that environment there was lots to cut with a knife - the plastic strapping on the copier paper boxes was the "toughest" task and I often carried serrated or combo edge just for that. Think about it, most office desks have one of those pencil and pen holder thingies ... often they have scissors in ... I used my knife for everything other people used scissors for.

Taking out staples, opening letters, fidgeting in meetings (they ended quicker when I started fiddling with a knife) ... I probably used my pocket knife 3 or 4 times a week. Never for food though. Was tempted on occasion to ease a blade into the back of an accountant or lawyer ....

work and knife use don't always have to be synonymous, i work in the fire industry and seldom use a knife at work but its always in my pocket

Back