Thoughts about pre-orders

Nathan, these people that are all in on you, will be the same people that will trash you when you don't fulfill the orders in a timely manner. This is not a knock on you, I've seen all excuses out there. 1, 2, 3 man operation team, someone got sick and needed money to pay hospital bills, blah, blah. Also having an LLC , you're personally liable for all business debts (Shit happens, what are you going to do when you spend your customers money into something else?) In addition, while you can run this as you see fit, in the long term, it's will be harder to raise capital.

I'd hate to see you become another Guy Seiferd or Dan Koster
The difference between them and Nathan, is Nathan was running a successful machine shop for years that has transitioned to knives...meaning Nathan actually knows how to estimate production costs, allocate funds and produce product on a timeline. I have zero problem paying Nathan up front on preorders, but he's pretty much the only maker that gets that amount of faith from me which should say something.

I appreciate that people can get what they want without the drama. It is also nice to be able to plan production in advance. They have benefits and problems, but all in all they are nice in that we can plan in advance and have a better idea of what we need to focus on. It does take extra administrative time trying to keep everyone up to date on progress and answering emails about particular orders. I guess mostly though, I am happy when you guys are happy and I just don’t want to over complicate things.
Jo you and the team have made me happy by answering all my petty questions and shipping quality products at a very reasonable price. Thank you! Hopefully I will be a customer for many years to come and unlike Dan Koster your word is gospel.:)

Last edited:
Nathan, these people that are all in on you, will be the same people that will trash you when you don't fulfill the orders in a timely manner. This is not a knock on you, I've seen all excuses out there. 1, 2, 3 man operation team, someone got sick and needed money to pay hospital bills, blah, blah. Also having an LLC , you're personally liable for all business debts (Shit happens, what are you going to do when you spend your customers money into something else?) In addition, while you can run this as you see fit, in the long term, it's will be harder to raise capital.

We're not an LLC and other than one machine tool we don't have debt (we own four VMC and two automatic grinders outright). We have a large credit line at the bank that's completely untapped. There's a LOT of pre-order cash in the bank. We're in pretty good shape (for knifemakers) because we came into this as a well established business. But we're also one fire or major lightening strike away from disappearing from this earth. We have health, personal and commercial insurance. But if something like an EMP from NK or if a CAT5 hurricane comes through there's a pretty strong likelihood we'd miss some obligations. Like you said, shit happens. *shrug*

We're not an LLC and other than one machine tool we don't have debt (we own four VMC and two automatic grinders outright). We have a large credit line at the bank that's completely untapped. There's a LOT of pre-order cash in the bank. We're in pretty good shape (for knifemakers) because we came into this as a well established business. But we're also one fire or major lightening strike away from disappearing from this earth. We have health, personal and commercial insurance. But if something like an EMP from NK or if a CAT5 hurricane comes through there's a pretty strong likelihood we'd miss some obligations. Like you said, shit happens. *shrug*
But you have a long history of producing what you said you are going to produce in the time frame set forth.

But you have a long history of producing what you said you are going to produce in the time frame set forth.

Our shop was established in 2001. We deliver on time over 90% of the time. But we were a little late on the comp choppers and Ivan waited three years for his dagger...

It boils down to: it's a pretty good company (and Jo has the heart of an angel) but the owner is a useless lout...

Our shop was established in 2001. We deliver on time over 90% of the time. But we were a little late on the comp choppers and Ivan waited three years for his dagger...

It boils down to: it's a pretty good company (and Jo has the heart of an angel) but the owner is a useless lout...
I’d have to agree with most of your statement Nathan:rolleyes:

I've given up on all other brands for fixed blades. I soley buy from you guys. You make the perfect balance of tough knives that actually cut well. I'm happy to have models on pre-order be done a little later than played for, if that means a certainty on getting what I deem some of the best knives on the market.

I’m a prima-donna type. Sounds to me that you have some serious scratch! For my next birthday I expect something very nice from you and I will take YES as an answer and I thank you in advance. Please remember that I have a very exquisite taste and I trust that you will pleasantly surprise me :)

I’m a prima-donna type. Sounds to me that you have some serious scratch! For my next birthday I expect something very nice from you and I will take YES as an answer and I thank you in advance. Please remember that I have a very exquisite taste and I trust that you will pleasantly surprise me :)
Gold digging in that state of trans, tsk tsk

real talk. At least the jist of it if not all the details

I echo XtianAus above...since my lucky Friday sale purchase of an HDFK last year, I am only interested in owning blades from your shop. I am not a collector, I'm a user...I spend my discretionary cash on the best gear I can find, so however you decide to bring these beauties to market is fine with me...

View attachment 1187535 oh there's no wood here today. Check back in tomorrow. Around 5.

I have it on good authority that Justin thinks that he has sent you some "top-shelf" Osage in the past. I hope that when you unveil woods mañana, you make some sorta doggie toy with Justin's old Osage and then let Sadie & Ziggy just go for it. Haha!

P.S. for those who are not as sharp as Unc. Matty, Nathan just let the cat outta bag: Friday Fun Sale aka FFS :D

Back