Thoughts about pre-orders

Just a point of reference, I'm as west coast as it gets and I've scored multiple times for myself and proxies...that being said, I'll probably never score again;)

(Almost every time was on my cellphone data too:eek:)

Chip,

I grant you that there are other parameters and skills which go into this process but I was referring to that extra advantage of “hearing the gun go off and then on with the races”.

Just like you, I’ve also done fine for myself and for my proxies. I often break or lurked around the top 10 but just like Phil had mentioned, I’m pretty much resigned to the fact that I will not get close to the really rare stuff based in the FFS format.

And no, I ain’t leaving Cali not even for a better chance of scoring a beloved and rare CPK :D

I got you covered :)
ekQpV59.gif

17 years end of this month, 19 years together;)

Congrats! Just hit 19 last weekend

Phil,

It had been discussed in more than a few occasions in the past that those of us in the West Coast, don’t really stand a chance of scoring on the very few and limited stuff unless we hook up with a proxy speedster located on the East-ish. The server lags don’t work in our favor and the extra second or two makes an enormous difference in the placement. Of course many other factors also weigh in but we start off at a huge disadvantage.

Pre-orders for the win-win unless you want the one of type of stuff. For those lotteries were suggested but at the end of the day, Nathan is the boss and he favors / prefers FCFS because the other methods can be too laborious and too arcane for CPK.

Mat,

My post above was not meant to deride Nathan’s choice of the FCFS system nor in any way demean the elite group who are consistently fastest. The rules there are pretty simple. My point was to emphasize the importance of pre-orders as another tool to broaden the customer base.

There is no one perfect system that satisfies everyone. If there was, Nathan would have optimized that like everything else he does. :thumbsup: I am just happy that I have been able to acquire a nice group of CPK’s over the last few years. Some ways of scoring them are easier than others.

Thanks!

Phil

P.S. I don’t buy the excuse that East coast folks always have an inherent advantage over Left coasters. I believe the absolute fastest connection to CPK originates in Morro Bay...;) :D

^ Bob’s been on 5G before the Internet was even public domain :D

I didn’t take your post as a grievance type post at all. Just a few complementary comments to the merits of the pre-order system despite its taboo status in the general knife community. I am just glad that Nathan cane around to doing it plus he’s willing to venture into making it more of a customized order process.

Win-win :)

I think the success of Nathan's preorders lies almost completely in the fact that "Carothers" (AIM) was a successful manufacturer before producing knives. Cranking out knives after the initial design aspects and tooling are made is something Nathan could probably do in his sleep. The fact that they can do it in such an entertaining and pleasant fashion is icing on the cake;)

I'm pretty fast and happy to proxy for folks so chiming in from the perspective of being able to purchase consistently. I like the competition and pre orders are just not fun for me.

However, as it concerns Fridays and limited orders, I think it would be more fun for a change of pace to just have everyone that posts in the first few minutes have their post number as their slot in a random draw and the lucky few get to be drawn out based on the number of knives available to see who gets a chance to buy.

Since everyone signing up to purchase is pretty much a sure thing, randomizing is a more perfect way to distribute the creative work coming out of the shop rather than biasing towards speed. This also seems consistent with CPK's attention to detail and a continuous improvement process both in knifemaking and in business.

Of course happy to play and support either way. But love to see everyone win or feel like they could ❤️

Last edited:
Back