Thoughts about the nature of the insertion pin for the Extrema Ratio HF2

Hi, this is not really a review (but not really a discussion either I believe) as such, that will follow soon but here I really discuss the nature of the insertion pin/safety pin that Extrema Ratio are using in the design of their (not so new now, came out in 2017) HF2. In this case the HF2D, "D" for drop point blade. My experience with this rather largish folder is that this (I will refer to it as a "safety pin") safety pin IS NOT load bearing (nor is it meant to be) during normal non abusive use of this liner lock folder. In other words, the only load bearing structures are those of the regular liner lock design, that is the end of the liner against the knife tang (both friction and geometry dependent, along with mechanical/structural integrity of both parts); and the regular blade stop pin (choice of material, diameter of pin, structural integrity of the knife scales which retain the pin and the surface areas in contact), ie the pin which prevents the blade from rising past it's final position when open. The safety pin is in effect a "failsafe" mechanism, a form of redundancy in case of other mentioned parts failure; allowing continued operation of the knife. I am aware of what their web site says regarding the "fixed blade" thing however, this is of course translated from Italian to English. Clearly, the Extrema Ratio HF2D is not your regular civilian folder but that of military end use and thus should have a redundant mechanism to avoid failure up until the complete destruction of the device. Anyway that's enough from me.

Back