Thoughts BRADFORD Guardian 3 edc

Hi everyone. So I'm 26 I've been in the outdoors my whole life, was raised around guns and knives and I'm looking for a new edc fixed blade. In $100 range or less. 8inch or less. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Bradford Guardian 3 (n690 version) or the Tops Scandi Trekker 1095. I absolutely love the Guardian design, steel, and The horizontal leather sheath but the handle length at 3.75 with choil gives me some pause.. I like legit 4 fingered grip knives. Now I also love design of Scandi Trekker and it has 4inch handle which will give great 4 finger grip. I know some say pretty spendy for 1095 but it's not just the type of steel matters. It's also the heat treat and tops does excellent job with that so that's not as big of concern. So thoughts would be nice!!! Oh and I need to know WILL THE SCANDI TREKKER FIT IN GUARDIAN 3 HORIZONTAL SHEATH?? I can't find answer anywhere. I know length won't be problem but the guardian handle is thicker and has more width where it enters the sheath and I'm concerned the Scandi trekker won't be secure. Thank you

Reactions: vba
I don't have experience with bradfords (but guess they're great) but do have some with TOPS (2 knives (or 3? Not quite sure)) and I wouldn't buy another TOPS. IMO they run their 1095 just too soft, I constantly have edge damage on them, and their cutting geometry is... well saying it how it is: it's just bad. They're too soft for hard use and don't cut well enough for general utility use.
I think the bradfords are a great choice, and if you haven't already looked at white river knives: their caper is imo the best small fixed blade out there.

Well I appreciate the feedback. I've never owned either but from reviews I've seen a lot of people like the Tops, and I have heard negative remarks too,but those were from 3+ years ago. And again I've heard literally nothing but good things about the guardian 3 and Bradford knives in general just wish it had a little more room on handle or that the G3.5 had the same handle design and not the izula type handle. Those white river knives were really nice but a bit out of my price range. Atleast for the ones I liked.

Also have to say the white river M1 backpacker pro is really cool and a bit closer to my budget... it's making my decision tough..

Also have to say the white river M1 backpacker pro is really cool and a bit closer to my budget... it's making my decision tough..
Well I think it comes down to intended use. The caper has a handle that really lends itself to the sabre grip (really melts into your hand; hammer grip is ok) and I think that's even more true for the M1, only having the paracord wrap. In hammer grip I'd imagine the guardian to be nicer in hand.

Yeah I really think I'd prefer the saber grip over hammer grip. That's a major reason I didn't like the G3 grip and the backpacker. I did like the capers grip but the backpacker pro has g10 scales and the same basic shape and ergos as the caper.. granted minus the nice micarta, and for $115 compared to $150 it's more in my price range.. top end really but that's why I'd want the pro over plain backpacker or caper. But thanks for the info on white river, I had seen the name but just assumed they were all to expensive for me.

And sorry about the title, Just trying to get peoples attention. Really needed good advice on next knife. Usually dont spend this much on a knife, once or twice but that's about it. And I've looked at all the forums regarding my topic and haven't really found what I needed.

I still think LT Wright is hard to beat for bang for the buck in your price range. He makes a great knife if a model appeals to you.

If you want to double your budget, Carothers Performance Knives makes a bombproof EDC.

And sorry about the title, Just trying to get peoples attention. Really needed good advice on next knife. Usually dont spend this much on a knife, once or twice but that's about it. And I've looked at all the forums regarding my topic and haven't really found what I needed.

You can edit the title so it's less clickbait and still get plenty of responses. Just throw a "vs" in there and you'll get more than the information you asked for.

Get the Bradford, hands down. Better steel for EDC (good stainless), and the blade grind is better for pretty much everything except for shaving wood compared to a scandi grind.

I also saw you post on RedSquid's EDC knife. I would get that and then have a custom sheath made if you really want horizontal carry. It looks pretty well designed.

As a last recommendation, I really like the CRKT hunt n' Fisch and it comes with a horizontal carry sheath. It's a great design at a decent price and proceeds go to cancer research. I've considered getting a handful of them for gifts. The blade steel isn't the greatest but it's completely useable and the crew that makes the knives for CRKT do a decent enough job with it. It's not Bradford quality but it's also 1/2 the price.

I have a lot of other recommendations but you could search EDC fixed blade and come up with plenty of options. Good luck with the search and let us know what you get and share some pics when you get it.

Here was my fixed EDC before changing jobs to a place that didn't like knives. Knife made by Hardedge knives on the forum for around $50 (imperfect knife) and the sheath was a custom made one that ran another $20-$25.
7JT3ZDhl.jpg

tMP3prXl.jpg

The Bradford is easily the better EDC imo. Better steel, better materials. That being said it is also more expensive.

E18A4552-F94C-4FEC-A8D3-B75336D0D31C.jpeg

As far as not having enough purchase real estate I wear a size 2x glove and when you’re locked into the finger Choil it feels great

9224D3B4-E43B-4CB2-83B8-D886281CE2CE.jpeg

D18A55D0-C536-496E-8ACB-5E346F4A0DD2.jpeg
For my money the Bradford is the better knife.
Mr Larkin is a real easy guy to work with as well, if you’re looking for something you don’t see you can call him up and order it.
That’s where this knife came from. I wanted a 3v in this scale with a coated blade so my wife called him up, unbeknownst to me, he told her that I was in luck, I got the last 3v blade (at the time). Mr Ford also told her he would ship the knife the next day. Now that’s service.
I really like this knife, now if I could just get those pesky knife laws changed so I could make it my EDC.

473AAE72-6FA6-4A0C-8BCC-CECADFE284E9.jpeg

Last edited:
Ive heard a lot of hit or miss things about TOPS, but I have no personal experience with their knives. Bradford makes an excellent product that they stand behind. I would skip TOPS all together and get a Bradford. Give Becker knives a look also.

Every knife and every blade steel has its intended use.
My work fixed blade knife, doing landscaping, I prefer 1095 on these because I need the toughness over edge retention. For a folding knife I go with edge retention steels.

Now outside of work it changes for me. I carry what’s comfortable and convenient. When it comes to a fixed blade it needs to have a good carry sheath. Blade steel isn’t super important because Im never really cutting to the extreme where a steel with average-low edge retention would dull out. Not saying most of my blades aren’t s35vn, s30 elmax etc. But there are some that are aus 8, 1095 etc.

You need to assess what your cutting tasks will be most of the time for the knife.

I always liked the tops scandi trekker but didnt like the sheath. I carry my smaller fixed blades horizontal on my left front. I like to buy fixed blades with sheaths that can allow horizontal carry or easily be modified for horizontal carry.

There’s nothing wrong with tops 1095. It holds up fine for daily use. Some of their knives are thick and some aren’t. I own a tops msk. Its thick but cuts fine. Handle is short but its not a primary carry knife for me.

Love my white river backpacker. The sheath offers a variety of carry methods.

My dpx hest. Modified for horizontal cross draw.
cqHzcqR.jpg

I with you Op. Handle length is important. I really feel more comfortable with a full grip.

The Bradford is easily the better EDC imo. Better steel, better materials. That being said it is also more expensive.

View attachment 1057097

As far as not having enough purchase real estate I wear a size 2x glove and when you’re locked into the finger Choil it feels great

View attachment 1057100

View attachment 1057102
For my money the Bradford is the better knife.
Mr Brad Ford is a real easy guy to work with as well, if you’re looking for something you don’t see you can call him up and order it.
That’s where this knife came from. I wanted a 3v in this scale with a coated blade so my wife called him up, unbeknownst to me, he told her that I was in luck, I got the last 3v blade (at the time). Mr Ford also told her he would ship the knife the next day. Now that’s service.
I really like this knife, now if I could just get those pesky knife laws changed so I could make it my EDC.

View attachment 1057107
Well I really appreciate the Feedback from everyone. And yeah the Tops is out! It's now down to the G3 and White River Backpacker Pro... N690 vs s35vn.. I can't afford the G3 m390 right now. And honestly the backpacker pro seems a bit better.. but it's definitely tough. I'd love it if it'd fit in the G3 leather sheath since I can get one for $10

Every knife and every blade steel has its intended use.
My work fixed blade knife, doing landscaping, I prefer 1095 on these because I need the toughness over edge retention. For a folding knife I go with edge retention steels.

Now outside of work it changes for me. I carry what’s comfortable and convenient. When it comes to a fixed blade it needs to have a good carry sheath. Blade steel isn’t super important because Im never really cutting to the extreme where a steel with average-low edge retention would dull out. Not saying most of my blades aren’t s35vn, s30 elmax etc. But there are some that are aus 8, 1095 etc.

You need to assess what your cutting tasks will be most of the time for the knife.

I always liked the tops scandi trekker but didnt like the sheath. I carry my smaller fixed blades horizontal on my left front. I like to buy fixed blades with sheaths that can allow horizontal carry or easily be modified for horizontal carry.

There’s nothing wrong with tops 1095. It holds up fine for daily use. Some of their knives are thick and some aren’t. I own a tops msk. Its thick but cuts fine. Handle is short but its not a primary carry knife for me.

Love my white river backpacker. The sheath offers a variety of carry methods.

My dpx hest. Modified for horizontal cross draw.
cqHzcqR.jpg

I with you Op. Handle length is important. I really feel more comfortable with a full grip.
Yeah I mean I've had plenty of decent blades in 1095, aus8, etc but for this one I'd prefer an upgrade, especially when spending $100 plus. This is going to be my EDC and the knife I take hiking/camping so I'd like a blade that's tough but has great edge retention. And comfortable grip. (4 fingered preferred) So it's down to the G3 and white river Backpacker pro. Also like that I can remove backpackers g10 scales and make my own custom handle. I live in coastal Northern California in the redwoods so I want a great knife to take to work and to take in the wilderness.

And I'll take your guys advice on the title. lol But it did get me some answers. And yeah already looked at Becker

Back