Thoughts on a Suga variant

Uh, well the swedge on the Suga pictures I've seen curves in instead of out for one. Other than that I'm not sure. Sorry I'm not more helpful on this one.

No problem, I'll see what I can do. Is the swedge curve the only thing, or is there anything else? I only ask because if its more, I'll do an entire separate draft.

I think that the cho should be moved back to the edge of the handle, and then add 1/2" to 3/4" to the wide part of the blade, not making the blade longer, just moving the moving the recurve part back towards the handle.

I think wahat Scara is thinking, is to keep the blade shape as the original, just proportinately shrink it to a 5" overall blade length.
The pic below shows that the tip (last 1" or so) swedge curve goes in, not flat/slanted, or out.

View attachment 473938

attachment.php

This is where my mind went with the increased curve idea-a little more 19th century arc to the spine. The standalone scales and integral guard are how I would do it, were I to go a Kami-ing.

FRIGGIN' SAVAGE design my friend. :thumbup: :cool: :thumbup:

I could see that being a great EDSuga ;)

Big Mike

Maybe "Everyday Suga"? Tripped me up too, I'm not much on abbreviations.

To be truthful I've been referring to my design as the Scara Suga, not as a matter of arrogance, but sort of an internal joke. That and because it's not unprecedented for products to be named for members. The Pen Knife and Yvsa Cherokee Special come to mind. I won't insist on any name, that's just what I call it in my head when I call it anything.

And while I like some of these other designs, they're not what I envisioned for this knife. What I envisioned was quite literally a Suga blade reduced in length but in the same proportion, along with a shorter handle that was curved to provide adequate grip while being concealable and comfortable while concealed. I did toy with curving the blade at the spine, but I didn't like what came out of it, so I returned to the original Suga blade. And while part of my preference is based in looks, a straight blade also means a straight scabbard, so it should draw faster, and I believe the curved handle will print less than an angled handle and provide more grip space. So in the end it came out as an East meets Southeast, meets other Southeast in that the design to me looks a bit like a kukri mated with a bolo and a kerambit, as opposed to an East meets West design. And while I like some of these other designs, the Scara Suga (not trying to be arrogant, just trying to distinguish it from others) is the design I will be devoting my time to, because it's the design I envisioned and it will take enough time and effort for it alone. Adding others on would increase the required effort quite a bit.

To be truthful I've been referring to my design as the Scara Suga, not as a matter of arrogance, but sort of an internal joke. That and because it's not unprecedented for products to be named for members. The Pen Knife and Yvsa Cherokee Special come to mind. I won't insist on any name, that's just what I call it in my head when I call it anything.

And while I like some of these other designs, they're not what I envisioned for this knife. What I envisioned was quite literally a Suga blade reduced in length but in the same proportion, along with a shorter handle that was curved to provide adequate grip while being concealable and comfortable while concealed. I did toy with curving the blade at the spine, but I didn't like what came out of it, so I returned to the original Suga blade. And while part of my preference is based in looks, a straight blade also means a straight scabbard, so it should draw faster, and I believe the curved handle will print less than an angled handle and provide more grip space. So in the end it came out as an East meets Southeast, meets other Southeast in that the design to me looks a bit like a kukri mated with a bolo and a kerambit, as opposed to an East meets West design. And while I like some of these other designs, the Scara Suga (not trying to be arrogant, just trying to distinguish it from others) is the design I will be devoting my time to, because it's the design I envisioned and it will take enough time and effort for it alone. Adding others on would increase the required effort quite a bit.

Don't forget if you go forward and have it made, ask auntie to make one for me, KP513, and JW. We were offering suggestions and opinions at the onset of this project.

Don't forget if you go forward and have it made, ask auntie to make one for me, KP513, and JW. We were offering suggestions and opinions at the onset of this project.

That was my intention, as well as a few others if they were interested. I also consider the moral support that people have given me as valuable, so there are a few others I had in mind.

That was my intention, as well as a few others if they were interested. I also consider the moral support that people have given me as valuable, so there are a few others I had in mind.

I am sure, I was just fooling with ya. Thank you all the same though.

I'll see if I can get the latest moded design up tonight. I'll be making that inflection and drawing the curve back towards the cho a little more

KP513 - That looks super! I think a note needs to be made on the jimping area, just noting that it's for some "grip", not a sawtooth like area. The kamis may get that confused a little. They may not even know what jimping is, or would look like. Just a note as to where the sharpened swedge should start (tip), to where it ends (where the straight edge spine ends), just to ensure that the kamis got that understood.

Other than that, I think a call and email to auntie is in order, and see if she can "make it happen!".

KP513 - That looks super! I think a note needs to be made on the jimping area, just noting that it's for some "grip", not a sawtooth like area. The kamis may get that confused a little. They may not even know what jimping is, or would look like. Just a note as to where the sharpened swedge should start (tip), to where it ends (where the straight edge spine ends), just to ensure that the kamis got that understood.

Thanks cul, and those are good points. Let's wait on what the design's progenitor, Scara, has to say. When he's all set, I'll add those notes and send the scanned drawing to him, and he can take it from there.

Thanks, but don't be putting me in for one-waaay too many sharp things in this house as it is LOL
thanks Jens, Big Mike-appreciate it

Don't forget if you go forward and have it made, ask auntie to make one for me, KP513, and JW.
If this thing does go through, I'd like to have a price before I'm put down for anything.

Back