Thoughts on a Suga variant

Ok, so I've realized it makes more sense for all of you who are interested in a Scara Suga to tell Auntie Yangdu directly. So if you want one, just send an email to Yangdu and tell her you're interested in a Scara Suga.

Great desin and idea!
Our shop and Kamis are still busy making Knives for online store customers and we will have to start on this one later this year

Thank you

Any word in this neck of the woods?

I haven't asked Auntie in a while. Last few times I was told they were busy making stuff to keep the store stocked. I haven't asked since before the quake since they've been rebuilding.

Yes, everything is going to be delayed for awhile. Store stock comes first.

What was the final design for this one? I saw a few sketched but didn't see which one was decided on as the "Scara Suga". It might be just what I'm looking for as I'd like Suga with a small guard below the blade and a crows beak which the newer Sugas seem to lack.

Some views of the CAD model.

ScaraSuga3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
ScaraSuga.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
ScaraSuga1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

WOW:):thumbup::D

What was the final design for this one? I saw a few sketched but didn't see which one was decided on as the "Scara Suga". It might be just what I'm looking for as I'd like Suga with a small guard below the blade and a crows beak which the newer Sugas seem to lack.

I'd post the PDF KP513 made, but I don't have a paid membership so I can't post attachments. The 3D model is very close to the final design though.

I'd post the PDF KP513 made, but I don't have a paid membership so I can't post attachments. The 3D model is very close to the final design though.

You can use a photo hosting site to post pictures.

You can use a photo hosting site to post pictures.

It's a PDF, so photobucket won't take it. Let's try dropbox. Okay, dropbox works. Click the link to view it.

edit: Found KP's photobucket link

FinalConcept_zpsd2776ab6.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad this thread is back. I'm keen for one. There is so much potential in these blades.
I've had to get my Suga out on the top of the pile for another play.

I'm glad this thread is back. I'm keen for one. There is so much potential in these blades.
I've had to get my Suga out on the top of the pile for another play.

I guess the quickest way of getting these is for people to show interest so they are certain these will sell well. To be honest this thread's revival is getting me excited again for the Scara Suga.

I'm keen for one however it ends up. They feel great in the hand as they are but..........
every time I look at mine, even before I bought it, I could see ideas for the handle.
I'd hate to ruin mine or disrespect anyone by vandalising it but I can see a nice frame lock folder in the works one day.

It's a PDF, so photobucket won't take it. Let's try dropbox. Okay, dropbox works. Click the link to view it.

edit: Found KP's photobucket link
Thanks! It looks good, but anyone ordering would probably want to check local laws because I believe that double edged knives are illegal in some or many states. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's why most knives with a swedge are ground but not sharpened.

Not to knock a good think but what do yall think about a shorter version? I like the overall design even better than the original Suga but it seems like it has too much length. Just a suggestion?
3977f2eb0944a418156198a68c5a6c7d

I second the shorter version. I have small hands so bug grips just take up extra space and add more to jab my ribs.

I'm also a fan of the crows beak design, but I think the normal flared end would be great too. Just no square/cylindrical ends, I want grips on the blade

Not to knock a good think but what do yall think about a shorter version? I like the overall design even better than the original Suga but it seems like it has too much length. Just a suggestion?
3977f2eb0944a418156198a68c5a6c7d

Well, a large part of the idea was to shorten it and to use the curved handle to give it a good sized handle that isn't so long. I could see it being made in different lengths like the current Suga, with a biggish one and a small one.

SingleGrind, if you're referring to the pommel found on the original Suga, that was deliberately deleted from my design. I'm not the biggest fan of it. It adds length, and on a design that I intend as a concealed carry knife I would rather not have something poky. Though ndog's drawing with a bit of a bird's head to the grip is a nice idea.

pyro, I imagine that like the regular Suga it may end up being made with unsharpened swedges as well as sharp ones. The idea I had in mind for the sharpened swedge was for some hooking and passing techniques like those found in Silat.

And now it's really interesting for me to look back on the design now that I have more self-training down with knives as well as having started to make my own. It's changed my perspective on the design. Time for me to think.

Ya I like the original pommel myself, it would give a little more to hook onto for the draw. The way I wear my concealed carry knives, it wouldn't be pokey, so length is my main concern. But now that I'm thinking about it, how would you feel about a ring on the end? Like a "Sugarambit" kinda deal. Plus circles are definitely not pokey

Back