Recommendation? Thoughts on and feedback for knife making

I made this knife for a friend, and wanted some feedback on making things better.
  • 8670 1/8" steel
  • Homade micarta burlap with fiberglass resin
  • 4 7/8" handle
Any feedback on design, grind, finishing, steel choice, etc... he wanted to spike on the end, and I typically don't do that.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20210303-120921_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210303-120921_Gallery.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 98
  • SmartSelect_20210303-121750_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210303-121750_Gallery.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 94
An aesthetic design input would be to add a little more curvature or shape to the spine, it drops to the point at the back but then is pretty much straight. The pins look like they are proud of the handle materials? I'd grind those flush.

I made this knife for a friend, and wanted some feedback on making things better.
  • 8670 1/8" steel
  • Homade micarta burlap with fiberglass resin
  • 4 7/8" handle
Any feedback on design, grind, finishing, steel choice, etc... he wanted to spike on the end, and I typically don't do that.
Blade is a usefull shape, although the grind feels a bit like it's stuck in the middle between a saber or scandi and a full flat. Personally I would walk the bevel up the knife a bit.

I've not used 8670 personally so wouldn't comment there, I like 1/8 inch as an edc or user knife stock thickness. Robust without being overly heavy or thick and wedgy

I'm not a great fan of the spike in terms of aesthetic, but if it's what the client wants it's what he wants.

Bit hard to tell in the photos but looks a bit like it could do with a clean up in finish, although probably a bit late now with the handle on. Would look nice with a hand pulled satin imo, especially on the flats.

Looks a good user overall though man, good job

It looks nice but if it were me I would (and do) give it to the friend, and tell him to beat the snot out of it and then come back with his thoughts on what works and what could be improved. You might be able to then mod it to his liking and it will be extra-special to him.

It looks nice but if it were me I would (and do) give it to the friend, and tell him to beat the snot out of it and then come back with his thoughts on what works and what could be improved. You might be able to then mod it to his liking and it will be extra-special to him.
That is exactly the plan. If he breaks it, he breaks it. Make the next one better. In a way that is my hope. Thanks.

Thank you everyone. Exactly what I am needing. I appreciate the effort on your feedback. I try to take in everything to keep getting better, and this helps.

Are there any cheaper alternatives to fiberglass resin for the handle. I have been making my own micarta, and would like to find some alternative material. I can probably get 5 or 6 handles with about $3 to $4 a piece. Total about $25 or so minus time

Overall, it doesn't look terrible. I'd try to eliminate straight lines where ever possible; specifically, the spine and the forward end of the handle scales. I'd also drop the front pin down a little bit and try to center them in the handle a little better for next time. The handle also looks a little too blocky/flat for my taste. Don't be afraid to contour and round a bit more.

I don't get the point of the spike (no pun intended), but too each their own I suppose. Keep it up.

Definately. I ordered some sand paper as the entire handle was done with a dremel tool and different attachments. I also will be able to finish blades more now too. I havent been able to hand sand anything. I think that will make a big difference as well

EhCrmWP.jpg

Back